Build 14986

Reaction score
What is the status of Norton with this new build.I have not reinstalled Norton yet, but would like to.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What is the status of Norton with this new build.I have not reinstalled Norton yet, but would like to.
No idea, but.....
It might be something worth trying and reporting on. The problems with third party security suites seem to be before the fact. That is to say, they can cause problems installing the upgrade, that is probably why you see some suggestions about uninstalling such software prior to attempting the upgrade.
After the upgrade is in place, I haven't heard much about the product and I'm not a Norton user so I haven't much to contribute specifically, but we're always looking for a few good souls to crash test and inform us.

Create an image and then test.
What's the worst that could happen? :)

Reaction score
No idea, but.....
It might be something worth trying and reporting on. The problems with third party security suites seem to be before the fact. That is to say, they can cause problems installing the upgrade, that is probably why you see some suggestions about uninstalling such software prior to attempting the upgrade.
After the upgrade is in place, I haven't heard much about the product and I'm not a Norton user so I haven't much to contribute specifically, but we're always looking for a few good souls to crash test and inform us.

Create an image and then test.
What's the worst that could happen? :)
I did just that and it seems that Norton security is playing just fine with this release. Will post more if I see and problems.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
The problem, if there even is one, might come when you attempt to install the next new build, with Norton running.
Looks like any new build might be sometime after the first of the year, so you got a couple weeks at least to experiment and sample any issues.
My problem with some of these third party security suites has always been, that they seem to install a lot of their own drivers and load a bunch of services, which seem to be a bit of a resource hog.

Reaction score
I used Norton years ago. One day they had trouble with their server and stopped all users from accessing the internet because Norton always checked to be sure they had paid before allowing internet access for anyone. It took a day for them to fix this. That was my last dealing with a company that had no regard for people.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So.... next year has come early.
Not exactly a new build, but a slight bump in the build number to 14986.1001
Courtesy of Cumulative Update KB3206309
Nothing much available regarding what it actually does except no new features and apparently addressing some security fixes.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Last edited:

Ask a Question