SOLVED Editing Posts

Reaction score
I am, undoubtedly, the worlds worst typist. The fault lies squarely in my back yard! I do not scan my own posts carefully, before posting.

But, would it be possible to make the "Edit" feature last a little longer.?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Dave.

I'll pass that request on to Ian.

Flick him an inbox too. He's been busy lately so an inbox will definitely get his attention :D

Reaction score
A draft message box would be nice, incomplete messages could be saved for completing and posting when completed. Just a thought!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How long were you thinking Dave? It's set to 2 hours at at the moment, as we get a lot of spammers taking advantage when it's set higher. I may be able to extend this limit for higher posting users though :). Sorry for the slow reply, I've got a busy schedule until the end of the month :eek:.

A draft message box would be nice, incomplete messages could be saved for completing and posting when completed. Just a thought!

That's kind of possible at the moment, but it's designed as a "last resort" to save messages that may be lost during a browser crash. If you type out a reply or new thread, it should auto-save every minute to a local browser cache. It means that it'll probably be there when you come back to that same page. It's not something to rely on, but thought it was worth mentioning here in case it's useful.

Reaction score
"may be able to extend this limit for higher posting users"

No way. That would look like special privilege. I can see difficulties here, as posters can alter there post significantly if too much leeway is given. Best leave it. I'll take more care.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I may be able to extend this limit for higher posting users
No way. That would look like special privilege
I don't see it as a "special privilege".
I see it more as a reward or benefit for those conscientious members who are proven valuable contributors.
With no other manner with which to reward these types of members, I think that something as simple as extending their ability to edit their posts would be a very small means of recognizing their contributions.
I often edit my posts, but....
I usually read mine almost immediately after posting just to check for typos, misspelling, spacing and such to make sure that it is at least close to what I intended.
Editing, too long after the fact, might be generally useless as the "edit" might go unnoticed and may be better corrected with a subsequent post for clarification

Regedit32

Reaction score
There are occasions where being able to post more than 10 images to a reply would be helpful.

While you're at it can you build me a Pyramid so I can practice my heiroglyphics :D

Could use some fresh bandages too — pretty sure I wasn't green when they entombed me. But then again why ruin a good alien conspiracy :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Ian draft messages was just a suggestion. I really dont fin it that useful and have it disabled on my forum. Like you say it's good for browser crashes, or no redirects. Thats' easily solved with copy and paste. Please don't go to any trouble, like davehc said if it ain't broke why fix it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No way. That would look like special privilege. I can see difficulties here, as posters can alter there post significantly if too much leeway is given. Best leave it. I'll take more care.

Maybe I can run a trial of limiting editing time to 2 hours for new members, then relax the limit for regular posters - I'm sure there's a balance we can find so that it's not seen as anything other than a sensible restriction for new posters as an anti-spam measure :). Once I'm out of this busy period, I'll see what options are available and perhaps we can give a trial a go. I'm happy to be flexible for members that clearly aren't here to spam ;). It may be that something can be coded to allow for slight changes, i.e. spelling corrections but the inability to place links - in which case we can roll it out for everyone.

There would still be a modest limit on time editing, so that threads cant be edited weeks later and confuse the flow of posts.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Maybe introduce predictive text?!

If nothing else it could produce some interesting posts :p

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Don't make it a priority.
Agreed.
There doesn't seem to be any great demand to adjust the feature as it currently exists.
I'm not sure who, if anyone would actually even notice a change.

Ask a Question