error system thread exception not handled

Reaction score
Downloaded the free Windows 10 upgrade on computer running Windows 7. Am now stuck in the above error loop. I have read the answer that requires a reboot disc and of course do not have one. I've tried reset with no success, and various troubleshooting options with likewise. Don't know much about computers, can anyone tell me how to get back to windows 7? The system restore and go back to previous build options don't work either.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
I upgraded to Windows 10 a few days ago and everything seemed fine. Now I can't get into the computer at all, stuck in blue screen with System Thread Exception Not Handled message. I use this PC for my home business and basically lost a day of work. Nothing suggested on these threads has worked for me. I just want to go back to Windows 7, but how can I when I can't even get to my desktop? This is a nightmare. I need help!!!

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
A system thread exception not handled is actually a Blue Screen (aka BSOD formerly).
At a minimum you are going to need that installation media.
AND you are likely going to need another computer from which to acquire it.
Either of these to sources
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Will allow you to acquire an ISO from which you can create the media.
Moderator, I don't get it; forgive my density. I have blue screen and nothing else. Going into set-up is a mystery; can't do anything there.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Made the Boot USB but none of the choices get me anywhere. It just loops back to the blue screen and restarts. Anything I can do?

AFR

Reaction score
I have the same problem 'thread exception not handled' and can never get through to strat the laptop.
Tried with Boot USB - and took it out when the boot was in process - than it lets me use the F8 and get to the advance option - and for Safe Mode. but with no help there. - i've got Again the same BDSOD and the restart loop.
if it was a pc - I will have disconnect the hard drive - and start all over again. but I have not tried (yet) on a laptop.
I think the problem is the Navida driver. But I cannot get into the command prompt to fix that.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
A system thread exception not handled is actually a Blue Screen (aka BSOD formerly).
At a minimum you are going to need that installation media.
AND you are likely going to need another computer from which to acquire it.
Either of these to sources
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Will allow you to acquire an ISO from which you can create the media.

I've got the same error from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it just keeps blue screening and crashing and starting up again

Reaction score
Do I download your 2 sources off another comp and then what ? Am lost

Wish I'd never heard of Windows 10

Such a pain

Reaction score
I have just tried downloading the tech bench one and it automatically changed to gb and then said it couldn't find tech bench

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do I download your 2 sources off another comp and then what ? Am lost
Yes.... you would need a working computer to download the ISO.
I have just tried downloading the tech bench one and it automatically changed to gb and then said it couldn't find tech bench
What changed to "gb" and what is "gb" I'm not familiar with that term or expression.

AFR

Reaction score
Reaction score
I have gone through this error before. Just give sometime I will post by today or may be tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hi, many people get this error. Its been noticed a lot mostly by the win 8 and 10 users. Just follow the simple step below and system thread exception not handled will be taken care of. You can thank me later for this: Click on Troubleshoot => Advanced options => Command Prompt. A black command prompt window will appear. Type in the following command and press Enter. BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY. Now type Exit and press Enter. Click Continue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question