File Explorer - "working on it..."

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been having problems trying to open file explorer to gain access to my documents, etc. When I click on file explorer, it opens ages after, and when I click on the folder I want, I get the message "working on it", and then it stops responding and I have to close it down.

I also have problems trying to open the Google Chrome browser, that takes ages to open, so I'm currently switching between Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge.

Hope someone can help particularly with the file explorer issue, as using that is an important part of my work. :eek:

Bif

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been having problems trying to open file explorer to gain access to my documents, etc. When I click on file explorer, it opens ages after, and when I click on the folder I want, I get the message "working on it", and then it stops responding and I have to close it down.

I also have problems trying to open the Google Chrome browser, that takes ages to open, so I'm currently switching between Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge.

Hope someone can help particularly with the file explorer issue, as using that is an important part of my work. :eek:
I've experienced this as well but it seems to be hit and miss as to when it happens.Not sure why this is occurring but I'm sure one of the gents with a more sizable technical knowledge on these matters will find a possible solution.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Bexter and welcome to the forum.
My first suggestion would be to confirm that you Windows installation is completely up to date as there have been a couple important updates made available recently, including Build 1511 (Threshold 2).
After that, I would suggest that you run the native System File Checker
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window simply type
sfc /scannow
hit enter and let it do its' thing.
After that I would suggest taking the time to optimize the disk again using the native tool found in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Defragment and Optimize Drives
Then I would recommend performing a full examination of the disk using the native Check Disk utility.
Another admin command prompt and type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
Answer "Y" for yes when prompted
hit enter
type exit
hit enter
Reboot and let it run all 5 stages.

NOTE: Actually my first suggestion should have been..... backup all your critical data now!
We've seen a surprising number of disk issues, post upgrade recently.

Bif

Reaction score
What does the "R" denote in your chkdsk description?...run? reboot?
I always run it from tools in My Computer and then it runs upon reboot...is your suggestion more intensive?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F, when /scan not specified).
Making adding the /F switch redundant.
See image

Capture.PNG

Bif

Reaction score
Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F, when /scan not specified).
Making adding the /F switch redundant.
See image

View attachment 1567
I thought I'd run a scan just for the heck of it and upon reboot after entering chkdsk C: /R at elevated c.prompt it has now been running for the last half an hour on the black screen with blue window stating it's scanning and repairing (C): drive but it's been on 20% since the beginning.Any advice?..if it's somehow stuck is it detrimental to force a shutdown?...should I just leave it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do not force a shutdown.
It takes a long time to complete and those counters that you are seeing are not necessarily always reliable and or accurate.
Depending on the size of the disk and the contents and file sizes present you may see the counter stop or slow as it examines specific areas.
It is not unusual for the process to take hours to complete, especially if you are watching stages 4 and 5.

Bif

Reaction score
Good to know thanks,doesn't say what stage I'm at just the screen as mentioned earlier but I do have allot of stuff on my disc and a ton of HD video..will leave er alone and step outside.

Ask a Question