SOLVED Graphics Artifacts/distortion...HELP ME!!!

Reaction score
Hi, so I have a intel 620hd driver(this a laptop..).After fixing various bsods, I booted into my os and after a few minutes..Boom..The screen went berserk!!! I've run all kinds of test and ransacked the internet. Please don't tell me it's the caps blown in my GPu...also, my battery holds no charge. Could that be the issue.. I've ruled out the driver being corrupt as I've reinstalled it a million times. Any help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi Enosh,

if the battery is not holding a charge, you should remove it to be on the safe side!. :cool:

What version of Win 10 are you using?.

If you don't have much in the way of personal files (pics, vids etc), I would do a complete reset which often saves more time than troubleshooting a problematic computer!. :)

If you cannot boot into windows.

Reaction score
Thanx for the quick reply.
No i cant perform a reformat as there is atleast 200gbs of files i need. I tried doing a reformat that kept my files, but the pc got stuck at the hp logo and with the word 'Preparing'. And my os Is version1800something. OLD!!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
t as there is atleast 200gbs of files i need
Simply back them up to some sort of media....preferably a couple of USB flash drives or an external HDD/SSD.

If you're running 1803 or 1809.....you would need to upgrade to at least 1909 of not the new 20H1....May's 2004 feature update. More than likely you would need to do a clean install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Assuming your laptop has a connection for an external monitor, you might give that a try.
I booted into my os and after a few minutes..Boom..The screen went berserk!!! I
You might try a Safe Mode boot by holding the shift key while selecting restart from the power options, IF you can see it.
Otherwise you might try a hard power button reset three times as the system is booting.
This will generally produce an automatic System Startup Repair, which will likely fail at which point you should be able to see a series of options that should allow you to get into Advanced Troubleshooting and from there you can attempt a Safe Mode boot.
After fixing various bsods
The BSODs might be telling.
What did you have to do to resolve them?

Reaction score
You can also try the following. :)

Reaction score
NO, guys the distortion is not continuos. Everything is normal for a few mins. But after that the screen distorts and i hard shutdown it. And to fix the bsods i removed the avast DRIVER and switched of driver verifier.(Avast caused a lot of problems).

Last edited:
Reaction score
i forgot that also in safemode everything is fine for hours...(how the heck is that?).
Sorry im not testing the kind solutions u guys r giving me but the laptops at the service center for a new battery. Very thanx again...

Reaction score
Make sure you also upgrade your Win 10 version to the latest one, that may also help stop your BSOD's?. :)

Reaction score
Edit : The service centre guy said that thd distortion was caused by the CPU. I think NO coz if it was the cpu the pc would not work as it does in the first few minutes. But i wanted to know what YOU guys think. I cant replace the cpu as its soldered in.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
i forgot that also in safemode everything is fine for hours...(how the heck is that?).
Safe Mode precludes most if not all third party processes and services from starting and only allows a few generic drivers to load.
The service centre guy said that thd distortion was caused by the CPU
On one hand it sort of makes sense as many laptops use CPUs with integrated GPUs on the same die.
So, in those instances the device doesn't have a separate, discreet GPU, they're combined.
BUT
As Safe Mode doesn't exhibit the same behavior I suspect, whatever the problem it may not be that.
You might want to try a clean boot
Read it carefully and see if that provides any relief.

Reaction score
Thnx.. I knew it.. And I'm only 14 and that guy's an idiot
Safe Mode precludes most if not all third party processes and services from starting and only allows a few generic drivers to load.
So it's maybe a third party app??? Or driver??

Last edited:
Reaction score
The service centre guy said that thd distortion was caused by the CPU
Hi Enosh,

there are plenty of horror stories on the web about "Computer techs" telling customers that things are broken/not working correctly on their computers, a lot of it is simple BS in order to make a sale/more money and/or incompetence. :mad:

While in safe mode, back up all your data that you want to save to an external drive (USB stick or other storage media). Then I personally would get the latest version of Windows 10 and wipe the drive and re-install (or do a full reset and upgrade once that is done) including your preferred apps and see how that goes. ;)

To install multiple apps all at once, go to the following link and select what you want.:)

As @Trouble stated "As Safe Mode doesn't exhibit the same behavior I suspect, whatever the problem it may not be that.". Other possible causes could be a bad hard drive or faulty RAM?, it is very rare for a CPU to completely crash a computer! (it does happen of course). :):)

Reaction score
Thnx. The laptops coming home today with a new battery, so ill do a complete reset and then upgrade.
Also how can i check for faulty ram and hdd

Reaction score
Assuming you have two RAM sticks, undo the panel that covers them and remove 1 stick and boot the computer, if all goes well, shut down the computer and replace that stick and remove the other one and see if it works okay, replace it when the computer is shut down again and that should tell you if one of the sticks is faulty.

IMPORTANT!. MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE REMOVED THE LAPTOP BATTERY AND THE MAINS CABLE BEFORE YOU REMOVE/REPLACE ANY RAM STICKS!.

To check the drive (assuming you can boot okay), open file manager (Explorer) and right click "Local Disk (C)" then on Properties > Tools > Check and restart if necessary. :)

1594370494230.png

1594370411798.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
I dont have 2 ram sticks, and the pandemic's hard on our country but thnx... I'm performing a reset and will keep u guys updated

Reaction score
Do you have 2 RAM slots?, if you do, switch the RAM stick from one slot to the other!. ;)

Reaction score
Hi, I'm very happy to tell u guys that the issue is solved...I didn't do anything, just popped in a new battery and my laptop's working like a charm..I Thank everyone personally for helping me o much... I owe u guys a LOT .

Reaction score
So much for a broken CPU!. :)

Still do the upgrade anyway as you have an older version of Win 10!. :cool:

Ask a Question