How to disable login screen on Win 10

Reaction score
If you are asking to be able to login automatically without entering your password, then use this method.

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19
Great! But it's not exactly transparent or user friendly. Why oh why is Microsoft ruing a potentially great product by presuming to know better than us users? Lots of other niggles too.

Reaction score
I have tried the first one. I'm so puzzled because I'm the administrator, and there shouldn't be any user groups or other users at all on my machine.

Reaction score
Speaking of user groups here's another wrinkle. I have been seeing and avoiding "you need to verify your identity". I finally clicked on it and than sign in with another account to avoid a Microsoft account. Somewhere along the line I had to go to control panel to change my name and when I restarted a cavern wallpaper scene came up and just as I feared I had to log in with a password. I have a shortcut to user accounts on my taskbar and when I went there the must enter password box was checked again. This time after I cleared it I saw the enter password twice that others here have posted. A side note: my previous posts about ok without apply were wrong, I checked apply then ok and the next reset went through as before without a password. The end of this is that I finally have a verified local account not a Microsoft account. That was the goal all along.

Reaction score
Way too complicated for me. Like many many others (who regard the home computer as just another APPLIANCE in the home - it's supposed to make our lives EASIER not harder) I will have to take my machine in to the Geek Squad to fix this - if MS doesn't do it to begin with in the final version of 10.

Reaction score
I totally agree! In fact I think your characterization of a PC as an appliance is absolutely correct. I will be the one who decides the importance of contents and how much safeguarding is required. The reason I went for "you need to verify your identity" was because it offended me. Identify to whom? For what reason? Just the fact that I won't see that anymore makes me feel better. And isn't that what appliances are for anyway? Just to make life better. I feel so much better!

Reaction score
Ok this is getting ridiculous. Now I have three accounts on my login screen, two of which do not exist or even make sense. The almighty "Password" on the login screen is still required. I tried to at least make it simpler by changing it to a PIN number, BIG MISTAKE. The PIN I selected (I both wrote it down AND copy/pasted/printed the PIN as I am anal retentive and figure it wouldn't hurt) does NOT work, so I have to now go back and add another few steps to my ardorous login by switching to my MS account and then entering the original password!!! I like Windows 10 once I am in, but I truly despise this required password fiasco.

Edit- I also had to do a cold boot after trying the correct PIN (no, caps lock was not on) three times. Talk about a pain in the butt step...

Last edited:

LHM

Reaction score
Having had no luck with any of the suggestions above I conclude thst they don't apply to the 28th July 2015 release of Windows 10. Would be pleased to hear of any way to remove need for a password/pin.

Reaction score
Not to be argumentative but netplwiz worked for me in 8.1 and transferred to 10. I had to run it a second time after changes to user accounts.

Reaction score
Thanks for the RUN >> netplwiz. Why does Microsoft insist on making these kinds of changes so obscure?
I found another method that may be more Win10esque.

1. Open Settings
upload_2015-8-16_12-34-44.png

2. Select Accounts
upload_2015-8-16_12-35-4.png

3. Just above "Your Picture" click the following hyperlink that reads: Sign in with local account instead
4. Enter your Microsoft account and password information to proceed.
5. Enter the account user name to which you want to allow access without a password.
6. Obviously, leave the password field blank and click OK.
7. Windows need to reboot to change the settings. That's good, because that will confirm you got what you wanted.

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-16_12-36-15.png
    upload_2015-8-16_12-36-15.png
    2 KB · Views: 981
Reaction score
I've done netplwiz but it still insists on a password.

I am signing in with a local account. I thought of changing back to my microsoft login and following Mark V's procedure, but it won't let me do this - when I enter my MS login it asks me to enter my old password, which I obviously can't do because I'm not changing the password, so there is no old password.

So I still have to enter a password every time I turn on the computer. This is not a disaster, just a nuisance, but its refusal to accept my MS login could be a problem if I want to use it in future. Why is W10 doing these things to me? Is it because I'm doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Sounds like you were on the 1st version of Win 10 TP.
The version has been updated twice since day one.
First version is build 9841.
2nd version is build 9860.
3rd version, the latest, is build 9879.

How do I find out what build I'm on? I just installed Windows 10 last night, 8/17/2015

Reaction score
Beside the start button type system information (not the same as system), Build number should be there.

Reaction score
Thanks for the video. Quick, clear and easy to follow.

When I was on Windows 7, I had the option to either have a password set for my account or not have a password. I use Google Chrome and I always Save passwords. Every now and then I have to go into my settings to see what a password is for certain sites. When I go to check what a password is, a window opens and says "Google Chrome is trying to show passwords. Type your Windows password to allow this" Is there a way to shut this off? I've never had to give my password on Windows 7.

Reaction score
I just went through a nightmare trying to delete password entry. There's a new wrinkle to running netplwix If the user must enter box is NOT checked when you open the window the apply box will be grayed out so you can't bring up the enter and confirm box. I had to CHECK the box get out go back to run and re-enter netplwiz CLEAR the user box to get the apply button. Checking apply opens the enter and confirm box and when you leave you can reset without a password. Simple huh? The minions at MS couldn't make it any easier.

Reaction score
How can I get rid of the login requirement when booting into Win 10. It is bad enough that it DEMANDS a login on a home personal PC (If someone is in my house then I have been broken into), BUT MS goes farther and insists it has to be a passwork of a certain strength containing this many characters and so many upper and numeric - there has to be a way to defeat this. I tried leaving the field blank and it will have nothing to do with that.

Logon and Authentincation Technologies are immensely complex. To automate Windows logon in the era of side-by-side x86 and 64 bit technology, you need a 'quiet' Microsoft insider logon tool.

Mirosoft provides system administrator accounts with control userpasswords2... Vista up to 10, Netplwiz is the critical actor. But there are two (2) Netplwiz sessions that must fire simultaneously during winlogon. System32 Netplwiz and SysWOW64 Netplwiz are syskey tamper-resistant - running both separate is discouraged.

Please take note. The way to use control userpasswords2 is to open it using Windows Run. Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." Unchecking this box should open another dialog where you enter your Windows logon user password twice, once for System32 and once for SysWOW64. Workstation users must enter same password in both password fields.

Since Vista, each new Windows version makes adjsutments that temporarily render 'quiet' advanced logons somewhat unreliable. Today, just got a notice from Windows 10 Upgrade Team:
"Your PC is setup to log in automatically. After upgrade, you may have issues logging in."
They also told me, "It's going to take months to get your 8 core monster situated." Lol. I could be one of those slotted for upgrade to 10 in March 2016. "easily".

Networks are economic and security hubs, and the humble desktop stand-alone 'workstation' naturally has to wait a little longer. For example, Windows 8 logon was mostly sorted out March 27, 2013 (4 days shy of five months from release). During the control downtime, manual edits for the two critical actors worked fine. Then as syskey was adjusted to remove Netplwiz temporal runtime variance allowance across the two system directories, active functional userpasswords2 user was enabled with a working control feature. It may be something like that with Windows 10. You will have to consult with Tier 3 (Research and Development) engineers at Microsoft, to get a current fix on whatever-whenever is being instituted for current Windows release... Windows logon automation is Region and location dependent.

Not to discourage anyone, but the new Intel RealSense face recognition on a few new devices may slow down workstation keyboard logon automation updates for the Windows 10 Upgrade. Because the initial corporate staff panic is over, and facial recognition is moving in, even on mobiles. Heck, even works in total darkness! You can get your 'today' at a local retail Microsoft Store. Just saying, Microsoft's automated keyboard logon in its various incarnations is not going away anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
jewelep,
Never, Never, leave your email address exposed !!!
Please delete your screenshot.
I have asked the mods to remove it.
You should do it yourself........ now if you please.

Ask a Question