How to disable login screen on Win 10

Reaction score
:) I am locked out too, I clicked on notifications/ Then i clicked on off.windowscommunicationsapp & my screen went gray:confused:- this has happen two times now ,
Any way :) after rebooting i put in my MSN password but i can not remove the msn password, I have followed the instructions and i am not able to remove it, I keep getting a rotating png under settings /your account Nothing shows up :confused:
I am OK for now, but if this computer snoozed sleep or restarts, Then i'm not going to be to happy :mad: lol ,, As i will lose 16 hrs worth of work

A fix for the MSN to remove the pass word please
A fix so this computer will never ever turn off unless i turn it off. .
A fix for gray screen.

Idea for you
Cell phone notification to get into the computer ? rest ideas many ways you can do this Bluetooth or Just By plunging in your Cell phone will unlocks it :) Very Simple / or a app on your cell phone that can unlock it, in case you leave your cell @ home call home have the kids, family etc unlock it.
Note.. There has to be better safety guards for ones own stupidity, etc, so if you ever loose the phone or stolen, Broken ,etc I have a fix for that to off top of my head , . When doing a set up it should gives you a option to add two cell numbers that can unlock it ?
Have fun

PS Love the start menus back Big bonus:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried the netplwiz method to remove the password but it did not work for me on build 10162. I found a different way to remove the password though. Just go to Control Panel, then click "change account type" under user accounts. Click on the user then click "change the password." Type in your current password then leave the new password fields blank and click change password. This will remove the password from the account. This was while using a local account, I don't know if this works while using a Microsoft account too.

Reaction score
I tried the netplwiz method to remove the password but it did not work for me on build 10162. I found a different way to remove the password though. Just go to Control Panel, then click "change account type" under user accounts. Click on the user then click "change the password." Type in your current password then leave the new password fields blank and click change password. This will remove the password from the account. This was while using a local account, I don't know if this works while using a Microsoft account too.
Here's a wrinkle on this from 8.1. Do netplwiz from run. At user accounts check username & password box. Go to advanced tab highlight or enter name and admin. Go back to user tab clear checkbox click ok NOT apply. Seems like box must be checked then cleared by ok without apply for this to work.
This from 8.1 not 10 but it did work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thank you for asking this and thank you for the replies to all who did. This was an immediate D:< after installing Windows 10; the first big disappointment the first time I rebooted. Like OP said, if someone it in my house besides me, they probably have much more mischief planned than hacking my account...

Thank you!

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite complaints about computers. I could rant on this endlessly. My PC is basically a scratch pad that I scribble on. There is absolutely nothing of any significant value here.
What drives me absolutely bonkers is someone else mandating the use of passwords of a predetermined complexity. I will decide what is of importance and how to safeguard it.
Thankfully my deletion of password in 8.1 carried over to 10. Now i'm leery of using MS accounts for fear of restoring this major nuisance. OK, that's enough-I quit.

Reaction score
I actually spoke too soon. After a reboot it did add another user account (which was there pre-10-install) to the log in/Startup screen, but STILL required a password!!! Funny thing is, that account never had a password!!! It accepted my Microsoft account password, though (even though it was clearly not logging on with that account).

Yes, I am in complete agreement with jmccleary. This mandating of passwords and their format is horse-****. I hope this issue blows up and they address it, soon. Entering a password doesn't seem like a big deal, but being forced to do so everytime is ridiculous. Let me decide if I want my machine secure or not, let me judge the security risk.

Reaction score
If you are asking to be able to login automatically without entering your password, then use this method.

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19

I came across this post doing a search for how to disable the password login requirement and am so happy to have found your instructions. I followed them and am glad to finally be rid of that nuisance. Thank you!

Reaction score
I came across this post doing a search for how to disable the password login requirement and am so happy to have found your instructions. I followed them and am glad to finally be rid of that nuisance. Thank you!
It warms my heart to hear that someone else benefited from the floundering that I went through.

Reaction score
I have been trying all day to make the netplwiz method work but without any succes. Somehow Windows just kept asking for a password. It also keeps making a second account with the same account name that I can also use to login. Very weird.

After some searching and tinkering I found out that I could finally make it work by editing the registry. I found the method here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2894-log-user-account-automatically-windows-8-startup.html ("OPTION TWO")

Reaction score
I have been trying all day to make the netplwiz method work but without any succes. Somehow Windows just kept asking for a password. It also keeps making a second account with the same account name that I can also use to login. Very weird.

After some searching and tinkering I found out that I could finally make it work by editing the registry. I found the method here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2894-log-user-account-automatically-windows-8-sta
Seems like box must be checked then cleared by ok without apply for this to work.
This from 8.1 not 10 but it did work.
rtup.html
("OPTION TWO")
I think I screwed up this post. What I was trying to say was netplwiz needs to be run by checking and then clearing the box using ok without apply. At least that's how it worked for me in 8.1.

Reaction score
I think I screwed up this post. What I was trying to say was netplwiz needs to be run by checking and then clearing the box using ok without apply. At least that's how it worked for me in 8.1.
Nah, your post was clear. It just that in some weird instances it doesn't work, like with my pc. Because this thread is the first google result you see when looking for how to disable the login screen, I felt like explaining to all those other unfortunate souls a different method ;)

Reaction score
I took my machine to Geek Squad and had them return it to 7 because it demanded I sign in after I rebooted when I saw it had my roommate's name under my photo (he must have opened a MS account on his 8 machine - which he severely regrets updating to 8 from 7). Never did that before and will NOT update to 10 if it requires this (I do not log into my refrigerator, my toaster, washing machine, or any other APPLIANCE in my house). I was also severely disappointed that aero was not fully implemented. BUMMER all around so far with 10....Log-in MUST be optional and aero fully implemented before I try 10 again!

Reaction score
Yay! Finally something definitive on this. That's an excellent presentation. My posts that ok without apply was how it worked were wrong. Now I tried to copy that video address but I did an easy windows transfer of pictures and documents from windows 7 to 8.1 before updating to 10. Now I get a message that video library (that's not what it is anymore) is not available. Anybody have any ideas what I need to do to restore videos? I hardly ever used them that's why I didn't transfer the function.

Reaction score
Without knowing the details and I use a password, albeit a local account one, I suspect you may have to right click on the video directory get properties and change the security for the system account or for the persona that you are using.... a total pain I know but all that stuff has been there since Windows NT and 2000 for use in businesses.

probably DavidHK or trouble will be along to correct me on this one.

Reaction score
I just floundered around in properties found something called restore which showed 4 previous dates and selected them. Now when I click on videos it says empty which is believable instead of unavailable. I think you put me on the right track. Thanks.

Reaction score
Tim I just downloaded two videos from you tube about this password deal. So i'm back in the video business. I liked what John Emery said about logging into appliances. I referred to my PC as a scratch pad but appliance really is more like it. I said all I need is an on/off switch and then I thought maybe it should be of the pull-chain variety so computer geeks would be dumbfounded by it. Anyway things are looking up. I also updated Acronis system image which I have scheduled to run once a week. That's another beef of mine-I don't like scheduling anything on a computer.
So far i'm pleased with windows 10. I dumped my saved image of 8.1 so there's no going back.

Reaction score
upload_2015-8-6_16-53-59.png

I have done this over and over. I do not have the check box!!! I've checked do not require a password in Power Options also. restarted. no change. been trying 2 days.

Reaction score
Have you tried control userpasswords2 from the run command? Or from admin command prompt? I'm guessing here but it seems like your problem might be with the user group the computer thinks you're in.

Ask a Question