How to disable login screen on Win 10

Reaction score
Hi, I too am sick and tired of third party, (MS) trying to tell me what I want , and I DO NOT WANT TO SIGN IN TO USE MY COMPUTER! I have tried the method" goto NETPLWIZ", but the box is not checked!! but my problem is if the computer goes to sleep, when I want to use it, they want a password, I just re-boot because I don't know or do not want to enter a password. I want to go back to Linux Mint 17

Reaction score
Control Panel/Power Options/Choose what power buttons do/Change settings currently unavailable/select don't require password.

Reaction score
If you are asking to be able to login automatically without entering your password, then use this method.

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19

I tried doing this and whenever i reboot i have 2 accounts now, and it says that my password is incorrect.
Thats always the first information that comes.
So now my problem is double the size, i have 2 accounts with 2 different passwords and it prompts me with both.
First it prompts me with the new user name that i didnt want, then i have to log unto my older user name with a password that never disappeared.

I thought your method would allow passwords to disappear, man i hate windows 10

Reaction score
Alright, after attempting the second time for some reason it logs on finally without a password.

Now everytime i have been using the computer for 1-2 hours, it signs me out and shuts down every program, requiring the password again !

Reaction score
Yet i can always log on without a password, but after 1-2 hours it gives up on "this password free win10 lifestyle"...

Anyone know what to do ??

Reaction score
I jumped through the hoops to disable password when I turn my pc on, it worked, but only from total shut down/reload. WHEN I send to sleep/times out to sleep, then hit space bar it requires password again. Though it's nice not to password from total off each day, I really wanted to stop having to use password umpteen times during the day. Why did the bypass work only from total off, and not from sleep? Any fixes? thanks for your time and consideration.

Reaction score
Control Panel/Power Options/Choose what power buttons do/Change settings currently unavailable/select don't require password.
When I followed your instructions I was unable to find a place to select don't require password. This what I saw:
password defeat.JPG

Reaction score
I am not sure what the prompts are supposed to look like it took me to here
users_zps1e3e614c.jpg

If I go to the advanced tab I see this

useraccountadvanced_zpsf8e29a50.jpg

Am I supposed to REMOVE the credentials for Windows? There really were no prompts when I RAN netplwiz

TRI42A3_zps1297681f.jpg

I think if you follow these steps you will get the problem fixed.... my steps are almost the same as they are telling you except at the end part about RESTART the computer.... you DO NOT RESTART.... You need to do a complete SHUT DOWN..
First RIGHT CLICK on start menus logo (a box will open up) Find and CLICK RUN... when the run box open type in netplwiz and Click OK... another box will open in that box uncheck the little box by where is says (Users must enter name and password to use this computer) then click OK ... another box will open then asking for you to enter the user name and password go ahead and enter the user name and password and click OK... NOW here is where it is different...DO NOT CLICK RESTART but DO CLICK SHUT DOWN to do a complete shut down and when you turn your computer back on you should not have to enter the password to login... I hope this helps you and others

Reaction score
tried netplwiz and the log in required box is not checked and I still have to use long password. is there another solution?

Reaction score
When running netplwiz look at apply button. If grayed out password required box needs checked then cleared to activate apply. Then apply and ok before restart or shutdown. Won't argue about it but restart worked for me.

Reaction score
Ok, I would like to start by saying this is one of the most infuriating things I've ever dealt with on any computer. Something as simple as not requiring a password on login should be the most basic and easy-to-access setting on any computer. Microsoft has had years to figure out how to streamline stuff like this and in my opinion has absolutely failed.

That being said, the problem seems to be (again, screw Windows) that there are several different places within Windows 10's trainwreck-shaped maze of a System Settings that influence your password on Login. That's why there are so many answers in this thread.

Below I will post all of the helpful tips I found in this insanely long thread:

EDIT: I recommend trying fixes 1 & 6 first!

1. The "netplwiz" fix
  • Right click at the Win logo at bottom left of your screen > select "Run" > in the Run box type "netplwiz" > OK > Under "Users for this computer" select your account > Uncheck the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" box (If it's already unchecked, try checking and unchecking it) > Click Apply button on bottom right > Type your current Microsoft password in both boxes.
  • Restart Win 10. (OR, as suggested by another user, select Shut Down instead of Restart)

image-3-png.19

2. The Sign in with Local Account fix

(Another explanation here)

3. The Power Options password on wakeup fix
  • To get to Power Options right click on your Windows logo (bottom left of your screen) > Select "Power Options" from the list
  • This one doesn't work for me, I don't even have this available in my Power Options.
4. The Advanced Power Options fix
  • To get to this spot right click Windows logo > Select "Power Options" from list > Click "change plan settings" to the right of the currently selected plans > Click "change advanced power settings"
  • This one didn't work for me though. That option didn't even appear in my menu
pwafterwake-jpg.1495

5. The Screen Saver Settings fix
  • I didn't even bother finding this one because I know my problem is from startup, not from my screensaver. But by all means give it a shot:
scrsvrpwd-jpg.2633

6. The Accounts Sign-In Options fix
  • You need to get to Settings > Accounts. Some people get there by right-clicking the Windows logo on the bottom left and selecting "Settings" from the menu. I had to search "Settings" via Cortana to find it, since it wasn't in my menu. Do whichever works for you.
  • Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Under Require sign-in select "Never"

upload_2015-11-1_12-51-7-png.1491

These are all the solutions I could find throughout this thread. The last one worked for me. You're welcome Microsoft for doing your job, unlike your scripted out-of-country support team that does absolutely nothing to help any of us out.

Good luck to everyone hoping to fix this issue, I hope one of these does it for you. Otherwise, good luck on your quest...

Last edited:
Reaction score
#6 only works if you have a password,
You must add a password before you can use the other sign-in options.

Reaction score
Here is How to disable Password login in windows 10

Search in the taskbar netplwiz

Now user accounts info window will pop up.

Now, select the user account for which you want to disable the password login. Now, uncheck the option which says user must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

A new window will come out in which you have to confirm your passwords. Use password for your user account here and press ok button.Now, press OK or hit enter.

Source:- http://merabheja.com/disable-password-login-in-windows-10/

Ask a Question