How to disable login screen on Win 10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Places like control panel, and other settings are hard to find
Right click the start button, Control Panel is there along with other items that might interest you.
I seem to like win7
Many people such as your self have resorted to installing
http://classicshell.net/
And have found some relief using that as their preferred Start Menu substitute. There are several others as well.

Reaction score
[SOLVED] Idk if this helps anyone, but for months I've been trying to find a fix for this. Whenever my Surface Pro 3 goes to sleep, it ALWAYS asks for a password, no matter how many password settings I disable via all the processes that people have posted online. Well I went to Settings>Accounts>Your Account and selected the link that says "Sign In With A Local Account Instead." I'm assuming it always required a password because it wanted to match my Outlook credentials. But when I hit that Local Account link, made a local account, and left the password fields blank, now it just lets me right in after Wake Up. For me this was the only thing that worked. And since my Outlook credentials were already saved on my tablet everywhere else, I didn't lose functionality to anything like the Store or e-mail. So now it works exactly like it's supposed to.

Reaction score
  • First of all go to Run by simply pressing Windows + R button.
  • Now a window will appear in front of you in search bar type netplwiz and hit enter.
  • A new user account window will appear where you have to make some changes as per requirements. Here Uncheck the statement Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
  • After all this simply restart your pc and it won’t ask you to login Windows Live Account.
I tried doing this exactly as instructed. I hit the Windows key and R key simultaneously. Then typed "netplwiz" in the window that appears. Then I unchecked the statement, "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." Then I hit OK. Then I restarted my computer. Nothing changed! I am still required to enter a password.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
After clearing checkbox click apply. If grayed out check then clear box. Apply should bring up enter and confirm password. Do that twice then ok your way out, Now restart.

Reaction score
If you are asking to be able to login automatically without entering your password, then use this method.

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19

I did this. After clearing the check box (indicating whether or not a password was required to log in), I saw that Apply was grayed. So I checked the box again, then cleared it. I then entered and confirmed my password and okayed my way out, Then I restarted my computer. This worked. A password was no longer required, getting rid of a nuisance. BUT, when my computer goes to sleep, when I click on the mouse to wake it up, I see a strange looking screen and am required to enter my password to log in! How can I disable the password requirement after the computer goes into sleep mode?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
PowerPlan.PNG

You may also want to examine a similar checkbox with respect to your screen saver.

Reaction score
Under "Power Options," Advanced Settings, in the box that says "Require a password on wakeup," in my computer I see "Setting: Yes" The "Yes" is grayed out, so that I can't change it to a No

Reaction score
Under "Power Options," Advanced Settings, in the box that says "Require a password on wakeup," in my computer I see "Setting: Yes" The "Yes" is grayed out, so that I can't change it to a No

Try to go about it this way.............
Go to Power Options > left side, click Required a password on wakeup > right side, click Change settings that are currently unavailable > under Password Protection on wakeup, put a dot at " Don't require a password " > click "Save changes" when done.

That's all you need to do. No need to go to Change advanced power settings.

Don't require a pasword.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try to go about it this way.............
Go to Power Options > left side, click Required a password on wakeup > right side, click Change settings that are currently unavailable > under Password Protection on wakeup, put a dot at " Don't require a password " > click "Save changes" when done.

That's all you need to do. No need to go to Change advanced power settings.

View attachment 1399
Thank you so much for these very clear and complete instructions. They worked. Thank you again.

Reaction score
I did this. After clearing the check box (indicating whether or not a password was required to log in), I saw that Apply was grayed. So I checked the box again, then cleared it. I then entered and confirmed my password and okayed my way out, Then I restarted my computer. This worked. A password was no longer required, getting rid of a nuisance. BUT, when my computer goes to sleep, when I click on the mouse to wake it up, I see a strange looking screen and am required to enter my password to log in! How can I disable the password requirement after the computer goes into sleep mode?

FYI - I followed this method and it crashed my laptop. Lost everything. I would caution against this fix. Microsoft forum told me to do an installation which required another computer, thumb drive and time - it did not work. Had to call Toshiba to get my laptop back, but lost all of my info and had to pay $40 to Toshiba. If I was warned this might happen, I would have stayed with the password.

Reaction score
Try this- go to control panel power options. At top left click require a password on wakeup. Look at password choices. Is require dot active? Clear it. You may have to go into change account password to eliminate requirement. If you can clear the dot at require password click save changes.
Hopefully this will fix it.

Reaction score
Yes, with Windows 8.1 this method works, but it doesn't seem to with Windows 10 Preview with Build 10122. I changed the setting so as to not require a password at Windows startup, but it continues to insist that I enter a password before I can do anything. I checked the settings, and it is set to no password required. Several days later now, and nothing has changed. Password needed, regardless of what it ways in the settings.

To disable the login password requirement, you have to create a local account. The instructions :
1. in search bar box type settings
2. go to accounts
3. above the picture of yourself or whatever you put there select sign in with local accounts
4. enter your password for your Microsoft
5.hit next
6. username for your computer probably will be a name you previously used will display if not put what you want it to be. example: hot ride
7. "DO NOT ENTER A PASSWORD"
8. hit next
9. computer will restart
10. select your username is which you had will be on your left hand side
11. where it says sign in click that box and it will automatically login you in

Reaction score
Sigh. I have followed the netplwiz technique, *and* the PC Settings method to remove being asked for password after my tablet sleeps, and I am being asked for my password after my tablet sleeps. After following the procedures layed out in detail here, it worked for a while, but has gone back to requiring my password.

upload_2015-11-1_12-49-57.png

upload_2015-11-1_12-51-7.png

Reaction score
Sigh. I have followed the netplwiz technique, *and* the PC Settings method to remove being asked for password after my tablet sleeps, and I am being asked for my password after my tablet sleeps. After following the procedures layed out in detail here, it worked for a while, but has gone back to requiring my password.

View attachment 1490

View attachment 1491

U have to get a local acct. I posted the instructions for this in replying to the post directly above yours.

Reaction score
I do not have the same screen as the OP. Here is mine, and I am not asked for a password. The sign in screen goes past in a blur too. I have only one account. The Administrator account. Truly a personal computer.

Dan99.PNG

Last edited:

Ask a Question