How to disable login screen on Win 10

Reaction score
I do not have the same screen as the OP. Here is mine, and I am not asked for a password. The sign in screen goes past in a blur too. I have only one account. The Administrator account. Truly a personal computer.

View attachment 1499

question 1: are you using windows 10?
question 2: are u trying to get around logging in without entering password?
if so then you will have to remove the password that you have set up on ur local account in order to not have to enter a password upon logging in.

Reaction score
I did this. After clearing the check box (indicating whether or not a password was required to log in), I saw that Apply was grayed. So I checked the box again, then cleared it. I then entered and confirmed my password and okayed my way out, Then I restarted my computer. This worked. A password was no longer required, getting rid of a nuisance. BUT, when my computer goes to sleep, when I click on the mouse to wake it up, I see a strange looking screen and am required to enter my password to log in! How can I disable the password requirement after the computer goes into sleep mode?

did you get the log in password requirement issue fixed? if not here is the thing to do:
To disable the login password requirement, you have to create a local account. The instructions :
1. in search bar box type settings
2. go to accounts
3. above the picture of yourself or whatever you put there select sign in with local accounts
4. enter your password for your Microsoft
5.hit next
6. username for your computer probably will be a name you previously used will display if not put what you want it to be. example: hot ride
7. "DO NOT ENTER A PASSWORD"
8. hit next
9. computer will restart
10. select your username is which you had will be on your left hand side
11. where it says sign in click that box and it will automatically login you in

Reaction score
I must be blind. I did not realize that this post contained 7 pages. I waded through the first few pages of this convoluted mess and quit. The OP has not posted since page 1 (Oct 17).

Reaction score
I need help getting back my administrative privileges. I went through the first few steps posted while running Windows 10, and it worked fine. However now I cannot do anything that requires a administrative password, including run netplwiz. anyone know how to fix or undo this process, even entirely?

Reaction score
Win logo > select Run option ?

What "run" option? Just got Windows 10, and don't see any such thing. Lots of options....no control menu, no run option, not even "Help" and "F1" doesn't do anything.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Don and welcome to the forum.
The run option can be found within the "X" menu.
Hold the logo key and strike the x key
Or simply hold the logo key and strike the r key to evoke the run dialog box
The x menu can also be produced by right clicking the start button.
Takes a while to find your way around.

Reaction score
Thanks. That helps. :)

Found a random hint mentioning "Windows-R". Handy short cuts, but not liking that I have to hunt/search/research everything. No doubt, there's lots of stuff available, that might even be useful (or just taking up space) that I haven't found, or don't even know should look for. Seems to be Windows 10 is horribly disorganized.

"Takes a while to find your way around." Unfortunate. I don't have the greatest memory.

Reaction score
And....the problems continue.

I used netplwiz, the box is unchecked....but I still need a password to login, which I forgot (one of the main reasons I avoid using excessive passwords).....which the login screen advises can be reset IF I LOGIN. Like, what the ****?

Reaction score
When doing netplwiz if the "must enter" box is not checked look at the apply button. If grayed out check then clear enter box to activate apply. Apply will now bring up enter and confirm pw. Do that ok out and restart.

Reaction score
I have changed the password of my windows account and since then, i get an error that the password is wrong. how do i update the password in the laptop?

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, you can create a secondary account that doesn't require a password to login. The problem is that 2 years from now, when modifications require access to the administrative account, it's pretty unlikely I'll remember what that password was....partly because it'll be 2 years later, also because Windows won't let me use an easy to remember password by forcing me to use characters/capitalization that I wouldn't normally.

But, hey! I can just go to a web site to get my password reset.....if only I had my password to get onto my computer to go to the website.

Simple solution: Write it down and tape it to my computer (making the entirely useless password even more useless).

Remember when microsoft made software for the *user*?

Reaction score
I went to run and typed in netplwiz and followed instructions for removing the password and the sign on screen still wants a password.
Does anyone know what to do now other than creating another account?

Reaction score
This is what worked for me. I still have to sign in if I shut the computer down, but not every time it is idle.
Left click on the Windows 10 icon.
Left click on "Settings"
Left click on "Accounts"
Left click on "Sign in options"
Under "Require Sign In" set the box to "Never".

Unfortunately I'd found that what works for one Windows 10 user doesn't always work for everyone. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hi Gracie. That only is applicable to the computer waking from sleep. NOT for the initial login

Reaction score
I went to run and typed in netplwiz and followed instructions for removing the password and the sign on screen still wants a password.
Does anyone know what to do now other than creating another account?

I believe you may be making a common mistake. After you have selected the correct user account, and selected the option to not sign in, you are taken to another window where you must put in your password twice.

Reaction score
Hi Gracie. That only is applicable to the computer waking from sleep. NOT for the initial login
Yes, I realize that. It's still better than having to log in every time you walk away from the computer for a few minutes.

Reaction score
I believe you may be making a common mistake. After you have selected the correct user account, and selected the option to not sign in, you are taken to another window where you must put in your password twice.

davehc

no, I didn't get another window where I must put in my password. I followed the instuctions for the netplwiz procedure and the computer took the instructions but when I restart the computer it is as if I did not do the netplwiz procedure, when restarted it comes up the same way wanting a password. What if I completely wipe out all info on the computer and start over, would windows 10 let me do a set up without a password?

Ask a Question