How to disable login screen on Win 10

Reaction score
davehc

no, I didn't get another window where I must put in my password. I followed the instuctions for the netplwiz procedure and the computer took the instructions but when I restart the computer it is as if I did not do the netplwiz procedure, when restarted it comes up the same way wanting a password. What if I completely wipe out all info on the computer and start over, would windows 10 let me do a set up without a password?

i had the same problem however this worked for me. Control panel >User Accounts. In the user account press 'make changes to my account in PC settings' , then click on sign in with local account. This should take you to another screen, just leave password blank and follow instructions. Once you've restarted the problem should disappear.

Reaction score
Sure, That will work - Providing you want another, local account, without a password. I think the poster wanted to access his existing account (live or otherwise), without signing in.

Reaction score
If you are asking to be able to login automatically without entering your password, then use this method.

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19

I followed this instruction, i TYPED netplwiz . but Now i have No access to admin rights. And i had previously set Account Control settings dialog slider to the Top , where i have to be notified all the time, And the problem now is, it asked for Admin rights. The Yes is grayed out now, i cant even change any settings or get back. PLEASE HELP.

Reaction score
I have also typed netplwiz, but as #145 writes, i have lost all my admin rights. Does anybody have an idea what to do, i even can't install programs on it.

Reaction score
Hi. I also cannot seem to disable my password upon opening my laptop. I scanned as best I could through this thread, but may have missed this if it has already been mentioned. I feel it's worth bringing up in case no one else has noticed this same problem. I followed all the netplwiz instructions many times as well and then I realized that when it brings me up to the popup asking for my password......the "username" is not correct. I hadn't really paid attention because the cursor goes right to the password field so I guess I just presumed the preprinted username was right.

So, for example if my username was (e-mail address removed) it is only showing abcde and it completely removes the rest of my email address. I correct it, and yet it keeps reverting back to the wrong username, and thus continues to ask for my password upon opening my laptop. Very frustrating.

Reaction score
If you are asking to be able to login automatically without entering your password, then use this method.

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19
Thank you so much, this worked like a charm. Took about 3 seconds!

Reaction score
............ my PC doesn't have that box............
Which box you don't have ?

Sure you do. You showed that in your screenshot.
But you have STILL missed out a step (maybe more) What about when you are asked for your password after unticking the box. As you had omitted to mention this, I ignored it and restarted my PC. Now I have TWO names at the start, and am asked for a USER Name AND a password. Prior to using your method, the user name was already in the box and I just had to add the password. Every forum seems to be the same, in that "experts" give out parts of procedures which leave us novices worse off than before. AAAarrrrggggh.

Reaction score
Thats pretty easy man.... it hardly takes 3-4 minutes to do so. Just read the steps mentioned in this article and you will get rid of it easily.
Link takes me to a crappy "fun type" site. What a load of rubbish is written on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.
Found the link you mentioned and removed it, as well as the one in your quote.
Much appreciated.
We do not always catch them all, so.....
Your having pointed it out was very helpful.

Reaction score

Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19
I attempted this change but I can't make it work. How do I undo the netplwiz and return to the original Win 10 login? Lawrence Barnett

Reaction score

Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19

Thank you so much for the easy solution here David, it worked for me...only the first day. On the following day in came, again, that ridiculous MS demand for signing in! What did I do wrong? And it wants it not from one day to another (which is still a nuisance) but whenever I leave the computer for just 5 or 10 minutes! I get up for a glass of water and a stretch and...I must give in or I can't get into my computer! Also, how do I find out what Build W10 I have? Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
I tried it and it won't work for me. I unclicked the box that says users must enter a name and password to use this computer. No luck.

Reaction score
This method screwed up my computer ROYALLY! I now lost ALL administrator priviledges, and can't boot into safe mode and have no administrator account to try and log into. F this.

Reaction score
What you need to do is go to PC settings> users and accounts> the detach your email from your account. this will allow you to have a local account with no password.
It worked for me build 9841
Thank you Moha. I know these are old posts, but my husband just updated to Windows 10 (by mistake), and we are dealing with learning the new (to us) system. Anyway, we did the netplwiz and solved part of the issue. Going to settings>accounts we were able to disable the other password. THANKS.

Reaction score

Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19
Could someone tell me what happens when you say "Follow the prompts" The prompts are ambiguous at best
and I cannot make it work.

Reaction score
Spin back to post #141 and look at views 2 and 3. In 2 if the apply button is grayed out check then clear the user must enter box. This will activate the apply button which will bring up view 3 where a password is entered and confirmed. This puts an entry in register to bypass a user password, After password entry OK your way out and restart.

Ask a Question