How to disable login screen on Win 10

Reaction score
Thanks so much Davidhk and others who are helping. But I have these 2 problems:

1. I went to >run >typed netplwiz >ok >and...no next window appear where I can enter twice my password. I tried it several times and even shut off and on the computer; and

2. At the the time Davidhk offered this formula months ago, I was able to complete it, but it worked ONLY when I turned on the computer. It beautifully went right like an arrow into my Desktop page.
The REAL problem was (still is) that I have to sign in each and every time I wake it from a pause as short as 5 minutes!!!

Any help anyone please? Thanks ever so much!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Then check your screen saver settings and uncheck the box to prompt you for a password when it resumes.
Likewise your advanced power plan options, at the very top of the list

PowerPwd.JPG

ScrSvrPwd.jpg

Reaction score
I reset my password using www.PasswordResetter.info in about 5 minutes. Last night, my wife decided she needed a password for her computer (this is after using it for 2 years without a password). Today when she powered it up, guess what? Wrong password. I found this website which helped me unlock her account in just a few minutes. Amazing! Kinda scary that it works as well as it does!

Reaction score
Hi. I also cannot seem to disable my password upon opening my laptop. I scanned as best I could through this thread, but may have missed this if it has already been mentioned. I feel it's worth bringing up in case no one else has noticed this same problem. I followed all the netplwiz instructions many times as well and then I realized that when it brings me up to the popup asking for my password......the "username" is not correct. I hadn't really paid attention because the cursor goes right to the password field so I guess I just presumed the preprinted username was right.

So, for example if my username was (e-mail address removed) it is only showing abcde and it completely removes the rest of my email address. I correct it, and yet it keeps reverting back to the wrong username, and thus continues to ask for my password upon opening my laptop. Very frustrating.

It seems that you're using a Microsoft account for your Windows 10 or 8 system. When the "User Accounts" dialog prompts you to enter username and password, don't make any changes to the user name that is filled automatically. "abcde" is actually the name of the local account linked to your Microsoft account.

Reaction score
It was in the morning when I replied to you and I was a bit tired and losing concentration.
I omitted 2 steps on my instructions.
let me repost the method......

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > UN-check the box "users must enter user name and password to use this computer" > click OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.
EXCELLENT, CONCISE ADVICE. IT WORKED FOR ME. THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO POST THIS DAVIDHK129.

Reaction score
This is what I did-->

Hit Windows Logo in bottom left (where the old "start" button used to be), then Settings>Accounts>Your Email and Accounts.

On the right you should see an option saying "sign in with a local account instead" above "your picture" Click, and it will prompt you to enter your current password before creating a local account. When creating the local account, choose a username (or leave it the same) but leave all the password fields blank, then hit Next, then Confirm and Sign out.

It will then sign you out of your windows account, and will no longer require a password to sign in to windows, or to go back from lock screen.

I've always assumed the reason for the required password and log in to a windows account was more to do with data gathering than your security. It's useful for error reporting, research, and marketing etc if you're signed into an email address when using your home computer

Reaction score
Just select your ".cox.net" account
uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a password....... "
Click OK and you'll get a box where you enter that password twice.
Click OK and you should be good to go, when you restart the computer

Do not remove your credentials
I am having the same problems with Windows 10 in that I have to sign in each time I use it. I have tried to remove that option using all the methods posted on line and still nothing works. Search: netplwiz: Remove check mark for "users must enter a password....". Clicked "apply" Then entered password in next screen as directed. Restarted my computer and still the same as before.

Reaction score
This is what I did-->

Hit Windows Logo in bottom left (where the old "start" button used to be), then Settings>Accounts>Your Email and Accounts.

On the right you should see an option saying "sign in with a local account instead" above "your picture" Click, and it will prompt you to enter your current password before creating a local account. When creating the local account, choose a username (or leave it the same) but leave all the password fields blank, then hit Next, then Confirm and Sign out.

It will then sign you out of your windows account, and will no longer require a password to sign in to windows, or to go back from lock screen.

I've always assumed the reason for the required password and log in to a windows account was more to do with data gathering than your security. It's useful for error reporting, research, and marketing etc if you're signed into an email address when using your home computer
MY PROBLEM WITH THIS ISSUE WAS NOT FULLY SOLVED UNTIL THIS GREAT ADVICE. SO THANKS JIMGEORGE.

Reaction score
This worked for me :-

Start button
Click on account name (top of box)
Click on "change account settings"
Left side : "sign in options"
Required sign in " Never"

Thats all, solved.

Reaction score
Like others I do not require a password to gain access to my computer. I want my family to have free access to it without the need to remember passwords.
I followed the steps given in this forum and most of the time it works, but every now and then, when I log in, instead of taking me directly to the desktop, Windows decides to put a picture on the screen and then it asks for a password.
Lovely as the pictures are I don't want them, I just want to get on with what I'm doing.
Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

Reaction score
If you are asking to be able to login automatically without entering your password, then use this method.

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19
Thank you
If you are asking to be able to login automatically without entering your password, then use this method.

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19

Thank you so much David - it is so easy when you know how! :)

Reaction score
To disable the login password requirements, you have to create a local account. The institutions:
1. In search bar box type settings
2. Go to accounts
3. Above the picture of yourself or whatever you put there select sign in with local accounts
4. Enter your password for Microsoft
5. Hit next
6. User name for your computer probably will be a name you previously used will display. If not, put what you want it to be. Example: hot ride
7. "DO NOT ENTER A PASSWORD "
8. Hit next
9. Computer will restart
10. Select your user name which you had, will be on your left hand side.
11. Where it says sign in, click that box and it will automatically log you in.

Reaction score
It was in the morning when I replied to you and I was a bit tired and losing concentration.

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > UN-check the box "users must enter user name and password to use this computer" > click OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

I have been doing this over and over again and it does not work. help help

Reaction score

Restart Win 10.

Reaction score
Pure bullshit. Upto win 7, I get control of my os....... win 8 and up, bend over for microsoft. I will wait, buy win 10, then class action lawsuit.

Reaction score
This is what I did-->

Reaction score
Thanks JmGeorge. This works.
The netplwiz method does not work. It still keeps asking for a password.
My log in settings screwed up after I signed in with a Microsoft account once. It's taken about a week to find the solution. So a warning to those of us who use a local account without a password. Don't sign in to a Microsoft account as this seems to screw everything up.

Reaction score
What you need to do is go to PC settings> users and accounts> the detach your email from your account. this will allow you to have a local account with no password.
It worked for me build 9841

Ask a Question