How to disable login screen on Win 10

Reaction score
I am not sure what the prompts are supposed to look like it took me to here
users_zps1e3e614c.jpg

If I go to the advanced tab I see this

useraccountadvanced_zpsf8e29a50.jpg

Am I supposed to REMOVE the credentials for Windows? There really were no prompts when I RAN netplwiz

TRI42A3_zps1297681f.jpg
Also to disable sign in from Sleep option go to settings,System and you can change it from there

Reaction score
How can I get rid of the login requirement when booting into Win 10. It is bad enough that it DEMANDS a login on a home personal PC (If someone is in my house then I have been broken into), BUT MS goes farther and insists it has to be a passwork of a certain strength containing this many characters and so many upper and numeric - there has to be a way to defeat this. I tried leaving the field blank and it will have nothing to do with that.
I have tried the following method 3 times, with both shutting down and again with just reboot BUT I still get the sign in page, irritating.

Reaction score
Go to advanced tab highlight or enter name and admin. Go back to user tab clear checkbox click ok NOT apply. Seems like box must be checked then cleared by ok without apply for this to work.
This from 8.1 not 10 but it did work.

This is EXACTLY what was happening to me! Somehow the apply button doesn't work, and I had to highlight the username, then check>uncheck the box>OK button...So weird. It then prompted me to AUTO LOGIN, and asked for password twice, and selected my user account to auto login to. PERFECT!!!

Reaction score
For the umpteenth time here's how netplwiz works: when you enter after running netplwiz if the user must enter box is not checked the apply button will be grayed out. Check user must enter then clear it. This will enable the apply button. Click apply to bring up the enter and confirm password boxes. Enter password twice. Now ok your way out and restart. Previous posts by me about ok without apply were wrong. I have since become the resident expert on netplwiz.

Reaction score
How can I get rid of the login requirement when booting into Win 10. It is bad enough that it DEMANDS a login on a home personal PC (If someone is in my house then I have been broken into), BUT MS goes farther and insists it has to be a passwork of a certain strength containing this many characters and so many upper and numeric - there has to be a way to defeat this. I tried leaving the field blank and it will have nothing to do with that.

Well part of the issue is MS has the cloud, store, email all integrated into you Microsoft account. You may also have a credit card attached to that account. They don't have to be in your house to break into your PC and steal your data.

Reaction score
Has anyone looked at the replies and view count for this thread? 65 replies and 285,079 views. 'Nuff said?

Reaction score
Hi all- I've tried the netplwiz both as command prompt and command prompt admin and no joy.

The settings don't seem to "stick" and only work temporarily. Every time my Surface Pro 3 goes to sleep it demands a password. The password box is not checked on sleep power settings and when I run netplwiz it's not checked either so this really really bugs me.

Anyone having any luck?

Reaction score
I've had the same problem with my laptop. After spending two hours on the phone with a MS support person and no success, I happened upon a working solution, at least for my own computer. Win10 has worked fine on my desktop, and it had me set up a PIN for login there. Just on a whim, I tried using that PIN on my locked-up laptop, which had refused any and all password attempts, and it let me in.

Reaction score
With Win8.1, Microsoft introduced its Microsoft Account aka Passport. You were almost forced into using it when installing Win8.1 and this has carried over to Win10. BUT MS has now relented and made it much easier to opt out when installing Win10. The Microsoft Account is the only real reason Win10 requires you to log in when booting up. Now that the account obligation has been modified it is OK to turn off logging into your PC if that is what you prefer.

But this applies only if you installed Win10 and opted out at that stage. Since the abilitiy to opt out is only part of the latest Win10 version, I suspect it is essential you have the latest update for the above methods to work. Or just reinstall.

Reaction score
I think I'll wait another month or two before I try 10 again. (I am not about to log into an appliance in my own home). This whole log-in thing should be an option that comes up immediately on the screen upon installation. . Not some big hassle later that we have to come here to get an answer for. When are they going to do more than a security update?

Reaction score
I'm on the Insider fast track and have had an upgrade (not an update) a couple of weeks ago now. There will be a major update for the public next month.

edit: that may be delayed a couple of weeks.

Reaction score
After applying the recommended fixes I got rid of the password requirement ........however, I am now instructed to enter my pin number. How do I get rid of that requirement? Why do I get the feeling I am going to end up locking myself out of windows completely......

Reaction score
Just select your ".cox.net" account
uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a password....... "
Click OK and you'll get a box where you enter that password twice.
Click OK and you should be good to go, when you restart the computer

Do not remove your credentials
did all these and still same issue,

Reaction score
I tried the netplwiz method to remove the password but it did not work for me on build 10162. I found a different way to remove the password though. Just go to Control Panel, then click "change account type" under user accounts. Click on the user then click "change the password." Type in your current password then leave the new password fields blank and click change password. This will remove the password from the account. This was while using a local account, I don't know if this works while using a Microsoft account too.

It didn't work for me either! I might try your other method but I'm a bit worried about messing with my microsoft account.

Reaction score
Why does one need a "Microsoft account?" What do WE (as consumers) get out of that? This is why I stayed away from an Apple product (aside from the extravagant cost) - I started on a Commodore Amiga...

Reaction score
For those of you still having problems with this method of eliminating the password requirement, there is one additional step you must take. You need to go into accounts and change to a local account, or Win 10 will keep asking you for a password at startup. Do this first, then follow the steps after starting netplwiz.

Reaction score
For those of you still having problems with this method of eliminating the password requirement, there is one additional step you must take. You need to go into accounts and change to a local account, or Win 10 will keep asking you for a password at startup. Do this first, then follow the steps after starting netplwiz.

Sorry. Pardon me for disagreeing.

Switching to local account minimizes the use of Windows 10 features. That is a compromise, at best.

Ask a Question