How was Windows 10 Installed on your System?

How was Windows 10 Installed on your System?

• It was pre-installed with the system a.k.a. OEM.

• I built my own system and installed Windows 10

• I upgraded from a previous Windows version (Includes Upgrade Assistant/ISO/other install methods)

• I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10 from a previous version (includes GWX , or unsupported HW.

• I have only used Windows 10 at a friends, a family member, at school, or a work system.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Thanks to all which have taken part already.

The results so far are OK for such a small pool of 17 voters so far.
It would be nice if all new users were interested enough to vote, only time will tell.

Reaction score
I have two Dells that were bought pre-loaded with Windows 10 Home. And I have an older Dell that I upgraded from Win7 to Win 10. In all cases, it has gone well. I've never gone back from Win10 to Win7.

Reaction score
@wm460

NOTE

GWX means (Get Windows 10) was the name of an application that Microsoft installed on peoples Windows 7 PC's that later upgraded their OS to Windows 10, in many cases without people wanting to upgrade or knowing the upgrade was happening, they simply woke up to a broken Windows 10 installation.

OK so I have a a broken Windows 10 installation.
How do I fix this?

Reaction score
Built two of my systems. One was an upgrade from 8.1, the other a fresh install. My tablet was an upgrade from 7, but since it's had a clean install.

Reaction score
I have W10 on my 2 computers, one is a laptop and the other a midi tower PC. The laptop can only be installed (updated) using W7 first as I changed hardware and the USB install (booting directly from the USB stick) will fail once I enter the W7 key (I have that long list of numbers from the MS phone service which I have to use to activate W7 first!).:rolleyes:

On my tower PC, I can use the disk I created (32 bit but don't ask me why) with the W7 key no problem, if I want the 64 bit version, I must install W7 first!. :)

The good thing about the W10 install update process is that you get the option to remove any apps already installed, my tower Pc W7 factory install is full of software which I don't need and I use that function!. :D

T_J

Reaction score
I upgraded 'by choice' my 2012 Dell i3 desktop from W7 to W10 for free. W10 v1607 seems ok to me.

My 2012 Dell desktop is easier/cheaper to maintain than my 2000 Dell triple-boot desktop (98se, 2k, XP).

2012 Dell > like W10 updates itself for free. I'm still using Office Starter 2010 which Dell installed for free. (only driver I downloaded was for Canon printer)

2000 Dell > disliked buying 3 OSs, flash PC BIOS, update Ultra66 BIOS, downloading drivers for everything, buying Partition Magic 5 to partition hard drive for 3 operating systems, buying Drive Image 5, etc. Only thing that kept this PC from self-destruction was Drive Image 5 (& Partition Magic). 2000 Dell and 2012 Dell are currently connected to KVM switch. 2000 Dell has a GeForce 3 Ti500 card (replaced fan).

Last edited:

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
So many onlookers and such a small turn around at the polls...

We arent electing anyone here people, vote please :D hehehe

Reaction score
Laptop #1: Purchased with Win 7 Pro, upgraded to 8 Pro, upgraded to 8.1 Pro, upgraded to 10 Pro.
Laptop #2: Purchased with Win 10 Home.
Home built: Started with Win 8 Pro, upgraded to 8.1 Pro, upgraded to 10 Pro.

Note:
All upgrades were free
All rigs were either cleanly installed after upgrade or right after the initial purchase
Both laptops now have digital licenses with OEM markers in their respective BIOS
Home built has digital license without OEM marker (retail)

Reaction score
OEM 32 and 64 bit are sold spearately
However if Windows 10 is the same as Windows 7, either bit version will activate the other. As far as I know the activation keys have never been bit version specific. It has been a long time since I tested this theory.

I even got into a heated argument with an MVP once. They couldn't seem to grasp a simple concept. If MS wanted the license to be bit specific, the license wouldn't activate both versions. All they could see was a separation in how the Digital Copies were sold, which had nothing to do with licensing. Selling both bit versions to a system builder that knows which version they want would be a loss of revenue.

Reaction score
If the activation key will activate both versions, it really doesn't matter which version it is packaged with now does it.

I'm not disputing anything you said and you haven't said anything to dispute what I said. You simply restated your previous comment. Which leads me to believe you didn't understand what I said. I'm fully aware of how the copies are sold.

I'm telling you that I bought Windows 7 Pro 64bit OEM. Now upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM. And if I wanted to, I could install Windows 7 Pro 32bit OEM and it would still activate. And I believe if I wanted to I could install Windows 10 Pro 32bit OEM and it would activate. Because I don't think anything has changed in Windows 10 to prevent activation of both bit versions using the same key. If you know differently I'm all ears.

Reaction score
If the activation key will activate both versions, it really doesn't matter which version it is packaged with now does it.

I'm not disputing anything you said and you haven't said anything to dispute what I said. You simply restated your previous comment. Which leads me to believe you didn't understand what I said. I'm fully aware of how the copies are sold.

I'm telling you that I bought Windows 7 Pro 64bit OEM. Now upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM. And if I wanted to, I could install Windows 7 Pro 32bit OEM and it would still activate. And I believe if I wanted to I could install Windows 10 Pro 32bit OEM and it would activate. Because I don't think anything has changed in Windows 10 to prevent activation of both bit versions using the same key. If you know differently I'm all ears.

Reaction score
Look at the Newegg site. They sell 32 and 64 bit separately. So if they are the same if you purchase 64 bit and some else purchases 32 bit they would have the same key? One license per package. The OEM version of Windows is cheaper. Buying OEM from Newegg is on your own support. Buying full version gets MS support.

Reaction score
Look at the Newegg site. They sell 32 and 64 bit separately.
Yes
So if they are the same if you purchase 64 bit and some else purchases 32 bit they would have the same key?
No, that would open the door to all kinds of confusion giving two system builders the same key. That would be more than borderline stupidity.

One license per package.
Yes and that license is not restricted to bit version even though it is sold with only one. It's not the digital copy you are buying, it is the license. The system builder is buying the appropriate copy they need to use for the license. It's consumers that don't know which bit version they want is why MS packages both version in the Full Retail Box. This way there is no backlash on people returning one bit version for the other. And believe me consumers are paying for the additional disk, even thought they will only use one of them.

The OEM version of Windows is cheaper. Buying OEM from Newegg is on your own support. Buying full version gets MS support.
yes but that's another topic.

- - -

This brings back memories of the argument I had with the MVP. Although they were insistent that anyone activating the other bit version than was bought were breaking their license agreement. If that was the case MS activation servers would be programmed to only accept one bit version for each OEM key. That being the bit version the digital copy was sold with. That wasn't the case so there was no restriction at the time with Windows 7. As I said though, I don't know if that is still the case.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Look at the Newegg site. They sell 32 and 64 bit separately. So if they are the same if you purchase 64 bit and some else purchases 32 bit they would have the same key? One license per package.
I'm pretty sure that you are incorrect in your assumption.
I actually purchased the 64 bit OEM Version of Windows 10 Pro from Newegg.
I received the package which on the exterior plainly states WIN PRO 10 64BIT ENGLISH 1PK
BUT
Inside is another container, actually the sleeve for the DVD and on that there is a Product Key and no where on that is their any indication that, that product key can only be used to activate the 64bit version of Windows 10.
I'd almost bet a nickel that, if I wanted to I could install the 32bit version and use that product key to activate it.

No one else has the product key and I'm pretty sure that if you were to actually order the 32 Bit version from New Egg you would get your own package which would also contain a product key and it would be just as unique and unlikely duplicated anywhere else as mine.

WinPro.jpg

I'm pretty sure that they are selling you a key and that's what you're spending your money on, AND that's what is unique.
I really don't think that Microsoft gives a whit which bit version you install.
Pro versus Home however...... completely different deal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
MS doesn't care on the full version but the OEM System builders are sold separately with different keys.

System builders wouldn't have the same key. (OEM) 32 and 64 bit are sold separately with separate keys & licenses. Retail (full version) is sold with 32 and 64 media in the same packaging with the same license. OEM are sold with a different license.

https://www.howtogeek.com/198358/wh...builder-and-full-version-editions-of-windows/
  • Choose 64-bit or 32-bit At Time of Purchase: When you purchase a System Builder edition of Windows, you have to buy either a 32-bit or 64-bit version of the installation media. When you purchase a Full Version, both the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows come on the same DVD. Because the software is designed to only run on one PC, it’s expected you’ll just choose 32-bit or 64-bit at time of purchase. (You probably just want the 64-bit edition of Windows at this point, anyway.)

WHL

Reaction score
I have a desktop with windows XP which I've had for years.
The reason I kept it was because I had an Epson A3 printer which was the bees knees at the time and I only had drivers for XP.
Unfortunately the printer died last year and I was using an Epson D120 printer in its place.
It died last month and I've since bought an Epson Expression Premium XP-645 all-in-one printer which is brilliant - especially the double-sided printing.
I also had a Vista laptop which was set up as a desktop - wireless mouse & keyboard + external hard drive.
The laptop died a couple of weeks ago so I bought a refurbished Dell laptop with windows 10 pro pre-installed.
According to the system spec it is a 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.
My previous systems were/are vista & XP therefore I am unfamiliar with windows 10 and a complete newbie.
The windows 10 laptop and the XP desktop and the Epson printer all talk to each other through a wireless home network and I can print from either computer and can transfer files from XP and Epson to the Dell windows 10 computer.

Reaction score
I had a new computer with windows 7 installed, I fought the upgrade till the end, and I shut down the computer one night and all of a sudden windows 10 started to install. I let it install and now it's the best one on the market so far..One of microsofts sneaky ways of getting it installed..

Since then I bought a almost new Dell with windows 7, first thing I did was upgrade to windows 10.. I also had a EMachine for backup it also was windows 7, I also upgraded it with windows 10..

Got no complaints about win. 10 excellent..

Ask a Question