How was Windows 10 Installed on your System?

How was Windows 10 Installed on your System?

• It was pre-installed with the system a.k.a. OEM.

• I built my own system and installed Windows 10

• I upgraded from a previous Windows version (Includes Upgrade Assistant/ISO/other install methods)

• I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10 from a previous version (includes GWX , or unsupported HW.

• I have only used Windows 10 at a friends, a family member, at school, or a work system.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
This is an open public running poll to get the widest possible user participation.

I am looking to see how people came to use/install Windows 10, be it upgrade or fresh install or OEM system, weather it was a concious willing decision, or weather it was something else.

If you have a suggestion how to improve this poll, please reply with suggestion.

Rules:

• Single choice only permitted.
  • User is allowed to change vote.
  • Voting is required to view results.
  • Don't just reply with your choice, please vote on poll.
Would be nice if poll was stuck to top of forums, so if a moderator agrees please do so. Or some suggestion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Upgraded by choice, then created an ISO and performed a clean install. No problems since last July.

Reaction score
Upgraded by choice as well just to see if I like it and it was free upgrade. I have grown into it I guess as I barely use others unless I have to due to age of my other computers....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think by now, I've upgraded to Windows 10 using every possible method available, including
Using Upgrade Now, Media Creation Tool, Downloading the ISO and performing an in-place upgrade as well as a custom clean install.
All of which have been intentional on my part.
AND a Dell laptop which came with OEM Windows 10 (original version) and has been subsequently upgraded to the newer iterations as they became available.
Not to mention a couple in-place upgrade / repairs.

Reaction score
By downloading an ISO (as well as using Media Creation Tool) and doing a clean install. At first though coming from Windows 7, initially there was need in doing an upgrade install.

Bif

Reaction score
Hesitantly upgraded after resigning to the fact that resistance was futile...
It's has since grown on me like a creeping fungus.
Despite all the hubbub..it's still better than Mac..

Reaction score
My experience is the same as Trouble's. Upgrade, Iso, Insider on several machines and an original install on a brand new home built machine from a genuine W10 licence DVD paid for with my own money!

All the people who complain about W10's teething problems and installation glitches have obviously NEVER had to deal with Windows NT nor OS/2. I have done both and by those standards W10 is just plain simple.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've Stickied your thread to help it stay up top Data.

Will be intriguing to see the stats. :)

Reaction score
I upgraded from Window 7 to 10.
Window 10 installed itself in my computer twice overnight, after a lot of frustrations, phone calls, emails etc managed to get it removed and windows 7 reinstalled. After the second time I was told that I had 3 months trial to use it and still be able to revert to 7 with any problems. The third time in installed its self I gave it a go and found it wasn't so bad, a couple of months later I installed window 10 on to my laptop.

There is a few niggles that I will be asking you about.

Reaction score
Same as Trouble. I used all methods on different computers - All successful-

"If you have a suggestion how to improve this poll, please reply with suggestion."
With the regular members, I would suggest several different methods were vtried, as can already be seen from the posts. This "Single choice only permitted.",. prohibits most from voting.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@wm460 So you didnt upgrade really, but was upgraded by GWX, just out of curiosity which option on the poll did you vote in?

Reaction score
Went from 7 to 8 and 8.1 then used media creation tool to go to 10. had no problems to speak of. Laptop is a 9 year old Dell running 2.4 dual core and 6Ghz memory.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I'm surprised by the low amount of users (so far and early into this poll) having been forced into windows 10 by GWX and similar hard campaigns.

Reaction score
I'm not, they're the ones that rarely (if ever) visit forums. It's the early adopter types that frequently visit forums.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@clifford_cooley

I suppose there is a large subset of users that dont use forums or IRC or much of the Internet and also likely dont know how to use a search engine.

Reaction score
I have used the Media Creation Tool and created an ISO and burned it to a DVD, then installed all versions of Windows 10. This method was used for Dell Desktop and HP Notebook except version 1703. On the notebook I used the update assistant with notebook connected by Ethernet Cable. Took 3.5 hours to download and another 2 hours to install. Downloaded the Media Creation Tool and burned the ISO to disc. Took about an hour to download and create ISO and about 20 minutes to install on desktop. As far as length of time, I am on a home network with a total of 7 computers all using the same modem\router.

Reaction score
@wm460 So you didnt upgrade really, but was upgraded by GWX, just out of curiosity which option on the poll did you vote in?

I voted in,

I upgraded from a previous Windows version (Includes Upgrade Assistant/ISO/other install methods)

So obviously the wrong one, didnt know what GWX or HW is?

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@wm460
poll option said:
I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10 from a previous version (includes GWX , or unsupported HW.
NOTE

GWX means (Get Windows 10) was the name of an application that Microsoft installed on peoples Windows 7 PC's that later upgraded their OS to Windows 10, in many cases without people wanting to upgrade or knowing the upgrade was happening, they simply woke up to a broken Windows 10 installation.

Unsupported HW = Unsupported Hardware
Note: I had to shorten the word Hardware to HW, because the poll option only allows a certain amount of characters)

Another tactic used by Microsoft, to force people to upgrade to Windows 10, in short users with new CPU's like Ryzen / Kaby Lake / Sky Lake will not receive further security updates (Microsoft roll out of this policy started already) to their OS's Windows 7/ Windows 8/8.1

@Trouble or @Regedit32 would you kindly add this to main post? Cant edit it any longer. :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
One I upgraded by choice from Windows 8.1 (alienware( and Surface Book came with OEM). OEM just happens to be Microsoft.

Ask a Question