Is Anyone Truly Happy With Windows 10 ?

Reaction score
More on the freezing/hanging problem in Windopws 10:
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-10-freezing-after-a-few-minutes.1343/#post-50498

Two people have found it works (for them). Me, I'm too timid to get involved in Registry settings.
Thanks for all the screenshots and such. I have to agree with Tim Locke. I have all SSD on the C: drive and separate HDs and neither of my desktop systems has ever hung. By the way, I have changed all my Library settings to the new directories so I don't have to browse to them each time I want to read or save something.

As far as your screenshots, do you have the full protection suite from AVG and Malwarebytes running at the same time or is you Malwarebytes only scanning on command? Multiple active virus protection is usually a bad thing.

As for your other programs you have loaded like FreeFileSync, Belarc, Canon and such, I can't speak to but check your running processes and see how much stuff is loaded and the resources they are consuming.

If you can't really tell if one is the evil one, try uninstalling each one at a time. Then reboot and see if the behavior still exists. Give yourself enough time after boot until you are sure the hang is not happening.

I understand that many people prefer a different array of utilities that help them with a specific task on their PC, but I tend to be the minimalist type. I very rarely use a utility that enhances a function in Windows. Many times the developer uses shortcuts to achieve their purpose or doesn't care about the impact on a system.

Just my opinion, but it's rarely Microsoft's fault. But it's an opinion that has been validated over 30 years of Windows experience.

Hope you find out what's causing your hangs. Keep us posted!!!
I have saved your message and will have a go. I can easily uninstall Belarc and only use it if necessasy (unlikely), and FreeFileSync for a few days, and some others like Malwarebytes and AVG, with the canon printer/scanner as a last resort (because installing their drivers always causes anguish).

I will report in due course. Thanks. In the meantime, you might like to note my post (above) on Registry settings.

Reaction score
Trouble Well said. Its apparent on this forum alone there are many unhappy customers.
We all expected more from Microsoft they had a good track record for reliability, stability and security.
Windows 10 is letting everyone down including businesses and users.

Satya Nadella, Microsofts CEO said, "Businesses and users are going to use technology only if they can trust it" I bet Nadella is eating his own words now. They are rapidly loosing trust from businesses and users in their latest attempt to develop the new Win 10 OS. Turning on a PC now is like opening a box of chocolates. "You don't know what your going to get":rolleyes:

Reaction score
I ditched Apple last year in the belief that Windows was more reliable, as was the case with W7. Not anymore.

Reaction score
Windows 10!
I just turn my Win 10 machines on for update Tuesday. Insert my Ethernet cable, create a restore point, Acronis system image, turn the machine off, and go back to using my Windows 7 machine. All Win 10 is good for is headaches, and sleepless nights.

If you go to the Doctors office now and complain of constant migraine headaches, the first question asked is do you have Windows 10. LOL

Reaction score
Having no major issues with Windows 10 at all here. Also no issues with my previous Haswell system. I have a second PC with an AMD FX 8320/HD 7850 also no issues. Laptop the same and is an older HP I5 (1st gen). Also as a builder so far no issues with about 27 new units with various Intel and AMD processors and chipsets. Z97, B85, H81, H97, Z170, B150, H110. AMD 970, 990fx, older AMD 760G. Of course there were and are a few issues with the new Windows 10 Ann. Update and some added PCIe/PCI devices like sound cards but nothing I could not work around. Sometimes you have to know when not to update something and/or use Windows 10 default (like drivers) because at times it seems that after a major update something will not be working the same as it did before. The one issue I have seen with Windows 10 more than once was HDMI /Sleep (coming out and going into sleep) and a few BSOD's which I was able to remedy by using a different HMDI cable, or simply using DVI. This has only been an issue with NVidia GPU's though not AMD.

Reaction score
As I stated earlier, I am (reasonably) happy with Windows 10.
However, for those fellow happy users, never overlook the dark looming shadow, as emphasised in Trouble's post #18

"Unfortunately, the apparent model of "Windows as a Service" is going to continue to involve what is seemingly a never ending, non-stop, organically growing, expanding (features and functions) and evolving Operating System."

"At this point, even though my data is no longer as volatile as it used to be, I would still never consider running Windows 10 without frequent backups and disk images, because I simply don't know when the next upgrade / update will result in a problem that I may or may not be able to recover from. "

AS we experienced, just a couple of months ago, this can sometimes, at the whim of MS, be an almost complete reinstall.
We happy users should have an easy to use option, where we can lock down any future OS major changes, and continue to use the OS "as is"

Reaction score
It's the method of updates that annoys me. It would have been more acceptable to let users decide what apps they require and download the apps from the store, I don't like apps that I don't use forced on me.

Reaction score
While I can't speak for "anyone" .... speaking for my self.... not so much.
I think at this point, I'm at best, underwhelmed.

The way it's being managed (or mismanaged) depending on your point of view. I would have expected.............

At this point, even though my data is no longer as volatile as it used to be, I would still never consider running Windows 10 without frequent backups and disk images, because I simply don't know when the next upgrade / update will result in a problem that I may or may not be able to recover from.
How true. I have Windows Backup and Restore, and Macrium (free), each make a system image every day, and FreeFileSync makes periodic backups of all my personal files (Docs, Pictures etc.). Also, a Restore Point is made every day. Belt and braces, to protect me from W10's peculiarities.

Reaction score
I recall creating images Win 7 every month and weekly backups "My Docs" Those days are long gone my friend.

Reaction score
My (grown) children are all in the IT business. One of my sons has control over about 3oo computers. I cannot see how they can risk a complete install of Windows 10, with the axe hanging over their heads that one day they will come to work and everything has changed - they/he, may even need to reinstall some essential software. If MS cannot come up with 100% certainty, that updates will be incorporated fluidly, then, for their own future, they must provide a method to completely stop further changes to the OS, or forget any future sales to large scale users.

Reaction score
Well besides building PC's my other job, I control 1400 workstations. No major company is going to upgrade to Windows 10 for at least 4 years, and that includes anyone that would service 300 PC's in any 'good' company. Why? because it's only about productivity not implementing the newest OS. It's been that way for 17 years. There is no such thing as 'certainty' but there is accountability, viability, and usability. 'Fluidity' can come at a high price of un-usability for hastily implemented gadgets, doodads, false patches, bad patches, inaccurate patches, outdated patches, and such. What you want is not to stop further changes to an operating system but to have the changes that are made succinct, accurate, and needed.

Reaction score
I agree with your sentiment, but, as I said, I am happily using a Win 1o ODS which, for me, works perfectly and fulfils my needs. The accuracy would then be of no concern to me. Needed? As said.

Reaction score
MNCowboy, DaveHC, Surely with 300 or 1400 PCs to look after one would have an Enterprise agreement and the user PCs would not be getting any updates until they had been tested carefully by the IT staff and updated in a controlled fashion.

Reaction score
Yes enterprise, and yes all tested, with un-needed patches omitted and most accepted according the workforce needs. The Home version of operating systems are just as important although I think MS does not share that vision. I do agree on "need". If that were all I needed I would stick to Arch Linux but as a home user, and as my founding computing experience was originally gaming, as it still is, I need something that keeps up with Direct-X and such. I truly wish that the idea of stability and inert usability and simple functionality of and older tried and true legacy operating system could be "merged" with a modern newly released OS but that congruence seems elusive in favor of gadgets (the Windows market) and monitoring your privacy -- sadly.

Aside from the default settings of Windows 10's privacy invasion, which is actually not much more than what modern cell phones do with google, apple, I like Windows 10. I don't have any issues with games and all the things I would do in a home environment, yet again I wish for more refinement with the UI (no one likes TILES) and the privacy issues, and also get rid of the "build" issues. MS is trying to (actually they already have), trying to get the public use to "builds" and "beta" releases etc. No longer to we have service packs but we now have constant builds and this will continue. This is the beginning of Windows as a service and I don't agree with it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
MNCowboy, DaveHC, Surely with 300 or 1400 PCs to look after one would have an Enterprise agreement and the user PCs would not be getting any updates until they had been tested carefully by the IT staff and updated in a controlled fashion.

My company has 300 computers and about 100 Surfaces. We are on Windows 7 but MS will not allow us to put Windows 7 on the Surfaces. We have a mix of Surface Pro 3's and 4's. The 3's have Windows 8.1 and 4's Window 10. We have Enterprise Windows 7 and the Surfaces are the Professional versions. We always implement security updates as our security enforces that. Besides the Surface our hardware is basically the same across the board so we're no going to have alot of driver issues for a major update. We've not long ago moved off of XP to 7, Windows Server 2003, 2008 to 2012 R2 and to SQL 2012. We've not had a big problem with our Surfaces as they seem to work with every piece of software we throw on them.

Reaction score
Seems like every time there is an update something on my computer stops working. I am not really an IT expert and am so sick of looking for fixes to things like, currently, why the heck wont my sound work after latest w10 update... sigh

Reaction score
My company has 300 computers and about 100 Surfaces. We are on Windows 7 but MS will not allow us to put Windows 7 on the Surfaces. We have a mix of Surface Pro 3's and 4's. The 3's have Windows 8.1 and 4's Window 10. We have Enterprise Windows 7 and the Surfaces are the Professional versions. We always implement security updates as our security enforces that. Besides the Surface our hardware is basically the same across the board so we're no going to have alot of driver issues for a major update. We've not long ago moved off of XP to 7, Windows Server 2003, 2008 to 2012 R2 and to SQL 2012. We've not had a big problem with our Surfaces as they seem to work with every piece of software we throw on them.

Same here we are all updated to 7 now from XP about two years ago. All workstation chipsets are Intel and running 3570 gen 3, or older I5 2400 gen 2, with designers using apple (also using intel with a bootcamp similar software to get regular MS office etc). Chipset - driver deployment is very easy there they are all mostly the same, and all using older chipset/gpu drivers in a contained environment.

T_J

Reaction score
My free upgrade experience for my 2012 i3 Dell desktop Windows 7 Home to 10 has been great. I have had zero problems with v1511 or v1607. All my software (including Office Starter 2010) work great. Only W10 driver I had to download was for my Canon printer.

Ask a Question