Just installed my Windows 10 Technical Preview

Reaction score
Windows 10 Technical Preview is successfully installed to my VMware Player.
Took quite a while as it is a complete new install.
I'll just post 3 images for those who has yet to install........
P.S. in screenshot #3, computer is still listed as This PC. I read somewhere sometime ago that it was to be named to something else. Didn't happen..... yet.

Editing. I am not able toad files here. It says file too large.
Sorry.

image-3-png.28191

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you got it installed ok :).

I've got it installed on an ESXi server and then accessing it via vSphere - works a treat!

Do the VMware integration tools work with Windows 10? The vSphere ones installed fine, so I guess they should be ok for VMware too?

Reaction score
I took the option of a dual boot install. I need to send feedback and thought this might be the more practical alternative. No problems.

I am getting a sneaky feeling that this is a situation where the quickness of the (prgrammers) pen, deceives the eye. lol

Two major factors (Not my opinion) were the start menu and windowing. These have both been included. Apart from that - same old. I am thinking this is Windows 8 update 3..
But, if it satisfies, good on you, MS.

Reaction score
Win 8.2 is about my first reaction, too. Which is fine. I've got my #1 concern - that the /Start Menu structure is intact (I don't care about the Start button - it's the Folder Structure that I pay attention to). My #3 concern - a better File Explorer - remains a dangerous failure where once a Mouse Click is issued, keyboard cursor keys take a non-precedence so tapping the ENTER key results in following the last Mouse Click, not the most recent Cursor Key clicks. Grrrr...

I'm not expecting my #2 concern - complete User Control over their screen objects - to be displayed at this point but I continue to hammer away. All of those controls exist, but why oh why won't Microsoft return the handy Windows Colors & Appearance dialog to allow users easy access to those?!!

Reaction score
I chose to update Windows 8.1 PRO with Windows 10 to see how it would handle my somewhat modified win 8 system. I expected problems because I have moved most of the default folders to other drives to save space on my c-drive which is a SSD. I was surprised to see everything went as it should. The only two glitches I have found so far are my modifications to the registry to add 'copy to folder' and 'move to folder' had to be redone and apparently Speccy by Piriform is not compatable, although CCleaner works fine.

I'm still digging around in it and figuring out how to modify things to my liking, but so far it's not the cluster fu*# I thought it would be. I did find it interesting that as soon as it was installed there was already a Windows Update to install.

Reaction score
I installed W10 Technical Preview on my test machine. Initial boot gave me a very low res display & I was briefly dismayed. Seemed to be solved by installing a Windows Update. Now all looks fine.
Can't immediately find a Control Panel shortcut.
Other than that, all works OK. Didn't lose any apps / installed SW / settings / files etc so far!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can't immediately find a Control Panel shortcut.
Right click the Start Menu icon and select it from there.
Or if you want to add one to your desktop. Just right click the desktop and choose personalize and then the change desktop icons link and check the box for control panel.

Reaction score
Right click the Start Menu icon and select it from there.
Or if you want to add one to your desktop. Just right click the desktop and choose personalize and then the change desktop icons link and check the box for control panel.
Yep, I did add a shortcut on the desktop but I thought it odd that it wasn't part of the 'core' start menu as per earlier Windows start menu incarnations...
Other than that, no gotchas on Day 1. Seems good.
Anyone know what happens when the product is finally released? Does any right to use the Tech preview disappear at that point?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, at this point there doesn't seem to be any information available at this early stage as to an upgrade path as the builds progress through subsequent evals / previews, onto RTM and then a finished product GA (general availability) release.
Naturally the current eval is time bombed just type winver into the run dialog box and you'll see 4/15/2015 which is the suspected GA release for Windows 10.\
Hopefully it'll be a sweet walk in the park to an upgrade (which I almost never do) with each subsequent iteration, but.....
I wouldn't count on it as a sure thing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry.... forgot.
AND
If you want Control Panel on your "Start List" sort of like your Start Menu just on top....
Right click the taskbar, choose properties, then the start menu tab, then the customize button and check the box.
Best I can do for now.....
Hope it helps

Reaction score
It is also buried in the "All Apps" down in "Windows System". Not sure at present, as I am currently using Windows 10, but I believe that is where it lay back in the Windows 7 days??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's a big 10-4 Dave.... It is also located exactly there.

Reaction score
I am now running Win 10 without any problems. I have 3 ssd's, Win 7, Win 8.1 and now Win 10. I used a clean SSD without a partition and cloned my Win 8.1 to it. Ran all updates, anti-virus and CCleaner etc. and unplugged all my other hdd's and installed the Win 10 as a update. everything went perfectly. All my apps and programs where installed. Even my Windows Live email, a pop, email was installed with all contacts etc. I configured the new Start Menu. Easy to do. I tried the snapping of Google and Msn.com separate sides of the screen. Also installed Media Player and it works fine. I expected more problems, but was pleasantly surprised that all went well.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Congrats jgcjr and welcome to the forum.
Hope to continue to see you around as this beast moves forward.
Nice Job.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
I have been running win 8.1 pro for sum time now and happy, just installed win10 in a dual boot situation, very impressed with the install and setup speed.
Well done MS so far..
Gav

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Gavin and welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you aboard and happy to hear that you're liking the Windows 10 Tech Preview "so far".
Hang in there and keep us updated on your thoughts and opinions.

Reaction score
I installed Win10 Preview today and ran it all day. Wasn't that impresses. Just seems to be Win8 with a similar Win7/Win8 menu.
The install took about 8 minutes and I didn't have any driver issues. Everything worked fine on a clean SSD install. I really didn't see much speed in anything even when running around the web.
Many of functions I tried didn't do anything so I guess we have to wait for full beta version.
Anyone know when this Win7/8/10 suppose o be out for sale?
I figure if you help MS out finding issues and giving them suggestions we may get a free Win10 copy when its all over. LOL
For now I will stick with my trusty Win7 on my desktop and Win8 on my laptop.

Reaction score
.................Many of functions I tried didn't do anything so I guess we have to wait for full beta version...............

You are probably the only one with such a disastrous result.
In my install, every function I tried did work. Would you care to post a brief list of functions that do not work ?

..............The install took about 8 minutes..............
.............on a clean SSD install..........................
Really ? Please give me the link to the install. My install took over an hour.
I would be most grateful to try it on my other laptop.

Reaction score
Yes "Many of functions" doesn't cut it for me, either. Also not too helpful, if a user wants to step in and offer you advice.
Your first sentence "Just seems to be Win8 with a similar Win7/Win8 menu.", I am, at this early stage, inclined to agree with, but would reword your remark to "just seems to be Win7 with a new, Win8 menu."
I have looked through quite a number of the system files, and they mostly correspond in size (+/-) with those in Windows 8. I am afraid, against my better instincts, I am not to optimistic about seeing any dramatic future changes - but who knows.

Reaction score
Yes "Many of functions" doesn't cut it for me, either. Also not too helpful, if a user wants to step in and offer you advice.
Your first sentence "Just seems to be Win8 with a similar Win7/Win8 menu.", I am, at this early stage, inclined to agree with, but would reword your remark to "just seems to be Win7 with a new, Win8 menu."
I have looked through quite a number of the system files, and they mostly correspond in size (+/-) with those in Windows 8. I am afraid, against my better instincts, I am not to optimistic about seeing any dramatic future changes - but who knows.

OK I must agree " just seems to be Win7 with a new Win8 menu"
The menu items that didn't work were the games as well as a few of the newer items.
I have diverted back to my trusty Win7 so Win10 is gone for now and will sleep better at night.

I have no idea what they are planning in MS. I guess I may be old fashion but if it works don't mess with it.
That is the way I feel about WIN7.
Win8 on my new laptop was forced upon me but have installed the Classic Look Software.

Ask a Question