SOLVED Microsoft Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am now having issues with Microsoft Office 2013. Can any of you help or direct me to a reliable resource?

I bought this DELL 3020 PC in 2018. It came with Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2013 already installed and which I have used substantially.

Today when I tried to open them I received a popup stating they were not activated and gives me a few days (4) to activate them.

Mongo

Reaction score
referring also to your other thread! I think you should discuss both issues with the person from whom you bought the computer.

Reaction score
referring also to your other thread! I think you should discuss both issues with the person from whom you bought the computer.

Unfortunately that person is out of business now.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Download Belarc Advisor and install it. This will show a lot of information......but there's a section that will show you your "Product Keys" for said software.

I'm wondering if you're using a generic key for both or just trial versions of both.

Reaction score
I don't know if I am using a generic key or a trial version. I have seen no mention of it being a trial version. I will try that Belarc Advisor tomorrow. 10:30 PM here now where I am.

Reaction score
Download Belarc Advisor and install it. This will show a lot of information......but there's a section that will show you your "Product Keys" for said software.

I'm wondering if you're using a generic key for both or just trial versions of both.

Hello Bassfisher6522, I have downloaded Belarc Advisor and created my Computer Profile Summary. Reviwing the huge amount of information (5 pages of small print ) I find only one rference to MS Office Pro Plus 2013 which Identifies the license number but in parentheses states (Key: none activated). I see no other references to a 'key'.

Note: The Profile Summary also shows that there are 5 'Important' Security Updates (Hotfixes) that are NOT installed. How do I go about installing these?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I bought this DELL 3020 PC in 2018. It came with Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2013 already installed
Where did you buy this? I don't know of any PC that comes with Office already installed...full version. They do come with a "TRIAL" version that's only good for 30 to 90 days. This would correspond to the "Not Activated" issue.

You may end up having/needing to buy a new office suite. If you don't want to do that, there are some very good free office suites out there.

Reaction score
I would use Libre Office ( currently 6.3) I used it and the Open Office predecessor for years after I retired. Some say that a REALLY complex spreadsheet full of links and macros and REALLY complex word documents, like a whole book full of math and or multiple chapters are not completely compatible with MS office and I would believe that and say that if you are doing work like that then the person who is paying you can buy you MS Office!

Reaction score
Where did you buy this? I don't know of any PC that comes with Office already installed...full version. They do come with a "TRIAL" version that's only good for 30 to 90 days. This would correspond to the "Not Activated" issue.

You may end up having/needing to buy a new office suite. If you don't want to do that, there are some very good free office suites out there.

I bought it at a mall in Thailand roughly 2 years ago. It did come with MS Office 2013 already installed. It has worked almost flawlessly the whole time I have owned this PC. The place that sold is now out of business. There has never been a mention of a trial version or a time period. I do not wish to buy a new version. Thank you for the link to alternatives.

I have been trying for hours this eveing to find a way to activate the copy on my PC but have no luck so far.

Reaction score
I would use Libre Office ( currently 6.3) I used it and the Open Office predecessor for years after I retired. Some say that a REALLY complex spreadsheet full of links and macros and REALLY complex word documents, like a whole book full of math and or multiple chapters are not completely compatible with MS office and I would believe that and say that if you are doing work like that then the person who is paying you can buy you MS Office!

Hello Tim, and thanks for the suggestion. I do have Open Office 4.1.6 Installation Files on my PC but have not opened any of the files.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Any chance over the last two years you chose to create a Microsoft Office Account for storing backups etc?!

When Office 2013 came out Microsoft had begun storing Product Keys is a new way to reduce piracy and in one foul swoop make the thousands of websites boasting to have 'free' product keys useless.

The actual product key if found via any tool will only display the last 5 alpha numeric characters accurately.

The full product key can be found inside your Microsoft Account on Microsoft's servers.

The only reason you can access those last characters is to help you select the correct product key in the event you are the legal owner of multiple Microsoft products, and therefore have more than one product key listed in your Microsoft Account.

The Dell website article I pointed you to suggested calling Microsoft to activate your Office installation.

There is a reason for that suggestion:
  • If you have the Product key of a Microsoft certificate or sticker stuck on, or inside the computer case, then simply citing this allows Microsoft to verify you are the legal owner of said product.
  • Secondly, in the event you lost that certificate, or are unable to read it [ e.g. you are legally blind ], then they can give you a brand you product key [ at no additional cost ] after you provide proof of purchase [ which they can tell you what they need as proof ].

My gut feeling is that if someone was selling Computers in 2018 with a 2013 product installed that now is not supported by Microsoft, then that someone was probably a fraud. Unfortunately, you may in fact need to buy a new license, if you wish to continue using Office 2013. If that is the case, it'd be a better investment to purchase a license for a more recent Office product that still is eligible for security updates and any 'fixes' that may be created to resolve issues created by the ever developing status of Windows 10.

Reaction score
Any chance over the last two years you chose to create a Microsoft Office Account for storing backups etc?!

When Office 2013 came out Microsoft had begun storing Product Keys is a new way to reduce piracy and in one foul swoop make the thousands of websites boasting to have 'free' product keys useless.

The actual product key if found via any tool will only display the last 5 alpha numeric characters accurately.

The full product key can be found inside your Microsoft Account on Microsoft's servers.

The only reason you can access those last characters is to help you select the correct product key in the event you are the legal owner of multiple Microsoft products, and therefore have more than one product key listed in your Microsoft Account.

The Dell website article I pointed you to suggested calling Microsoft to activate your Office installation.

There is a reason for that suggestion:
  • If you have the Product key of a Microsoft certificate or sticker stuck on, or inside the computer case, then simply citing this allows Microsoft to verify you are the legal owner of said product.
  • Secondly, in the event you lost that certificate, or are unable to read it [ e.g. you are legally blind ], then they can give you a brand you product key [ at no additional cost ] after you provide proof of purchase [ which they can tell you what they need as proof ].

My gut feeling is that if someone was selling Computers in 2018 with a 2013 product installed that now is not supported by Microsoft, then that someone was probably a fraud. Unfortunately, you may in fact need to buy a new license, if you wish to continue using Office 2013. If that is the case, it'd be a better investment to purchase a license for a more recent Office product that still is eligible for security updates and any 'fixes' that may be created to resolve issues created by the ever developing status of Windows 10.

I strongly suspect your gut feeling is correct. Thailand is notorious for 'copied' products.

As to 'calling' Microsoft - I am over 90% deaf. Not possible. My companion in life is Thai and has poor English capabilities. I have been looking for the proof of purchase of the DELL PC but have not located it and that would not identify the MSFT installations anyway.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Do you know whether it was ever activated?

By that I mean, have you had to do a clean install after previously having your software activated?

Reaction score
Do you know whether it was ever activated?

By that I mean, have you had to do a clean install after previously having your software activated?

I do not recall ever having to do an install of MS Office 2013 with this PC. I have determined that the DELL Optiplex 3020 was manufactured 2015 Aug 05 even though I bought in 2018. I do not recall having to activate the MS Office app. Maybe the sales co did it before delivering it. Since they are now out of business cannot ask them.

Reaction score
I do not recall ever having to do an install of MS Office 2013 with this PC. I have determined that the DELL Optiplex 3020 was manufactured 2015 Aug 05 even though I bought in 2018. I do not recall having to activate the MS Office app. Maybe the sales co did it before delivering it. Since they are now out of business cannot ask them.

PS: Thanks to all for your continued support. You all have been quite helpful even though this problem is not yet resolved.

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK then.

When Microsoft changed how Product keys are stored they also included a built in script to obtain the last 5 characters of the product key.

If you can get those last 5 characters, then contact Microsoft you should be able to be given the full activation key at no cost, as this will prove you have a valid product key.

To use this built in script do the following:
  • Type cmd into your search bar
  • From the list of items that appear in search result, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • Click Yes when the UAC dialog appears
  • At the command prompt type or copy & paste one of the two following commands, then press Enter key to execute
If you are using 32-bit Windows 10 use this command:​
Code:
cscript "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus
If you are using 64-bit Windows 10 then use this command:​
Code:
cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus
Good luck!

Reaction score
I am not sure I understand your instructions. Search bar: do you mean the URL search bar in my browser, or do you mean the Search function when you right-click the Start (Windows icon). I tried both of those ideas and the RUN function to no avail. In the RUN function, entering cmd into that I get a DOS page, not a list. Sorry but I am confused.

Reaction score
I see via the internet that there is a MS Office OnLine product that is free to use. It apparently works in conjunction with One Drive. Are you familiar with that. Any problems with storing files on OneDrive? If no problems, why not just uninstall MS Office from the PC and use the MS Office OnLine procuct. Any danger of losing files that are only sored on OneDrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question