Print Spooler Service Stops Unexpectedly

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You're not alone, I've been reading about this issue on some other Windows 10 forums.
Can you advise as to what specific printer Manufacturer and Model Number this problem occurs with?
I'm hoping that in about two and a half weeks on the 21st the next build will (fingers crossed) resolve some of these lingering oddities with Windows 10.

SOURCE: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-working/7433653b-90cc-430c-baa4-7959f265e947

The issue seems to be unique to build 9879 and perhaps even unique to the 64 bit version although I can't say for certain.

Hey Trouble, I wanted to thank you for your post, checking the two Printer settings (LDP & LPR) has solved the printer spooling issue for me under Win10, 64 bit. Thanks again!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow, that was an oldie but a goodie..... over a year ago.
Very surprised that you still need that, to resolve the issue, but.....
Glad to hear it still works.
Thanks for the info.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
Hi Emily, thanks for responding to my query... I will try to apply and see if this will fix the issue... Best regards...

Reaction score
I had a customer who updated to windows 10 (32bit) and after the update all printers were gone.

When trying to add a new printer got a spool service not started error. Service was set to automatic, I could start the service but when i tried to add printer it would give the same error. I would check the service again and it had sopped.

I tried many suggested thing:

Checked Supporting serves

checked Registry entries

Window diagnostic tools

3rd party diagnostic tools

Check disk

verified file system

Ect...

Solution:

My last ditch effort was to copy files from another computer from C:\Windows\System32 (spoolsv.exe and spool.dll)

Could not find a windows 10 32bit so i installed eval copy on virtual machine and got the files.
Still no Joy...

I notice that there was a spool folder (C:\Windows\System32) and thought what the ****. Renamed it and copied the same folder over from my virtual machine. I started the spool service and all printers returned. Joy, Joy :)

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you to Noob Whisperer I couldn't print anything this morning and the fix below worked for me. Had to search for "features" in Windows 10 to find the dialog box.

Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and "Turn Windows Features On or Off". Under Print and Document Services, check (at least) LDP and LPR. Worked for me!

Reaction score
Same problem a bit more detail. I have written a Point of sale application and to print a receipt faster I print through the API. After update KB3176493 the program will print 1 receipt correctly, the second stops about 70% through and will never print another receipt. It the program is restarted it will start the process over. Other print jobs work without problem. I think the Block Copy API call is being killed the update. Unistalling the update and turning off Windows Update in services "fixes" the problem. My API print code is based on the examples provided by Epson so there should be a great many people in this boat.

Ask a Question