Reset Windows 10 (from within Windows)

Reset Windows 10 (from within Windows)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Reset Windows 10 (from within Windows) - Repair Windows 10 problems by resetting your PC back to a clean install

If you've got severe problems with Windows 10 and need to perform more drastic measures to get things working again, you can reset the installation. Your PC will be restored to "as new" condition, with all 3rd party apps removed. You can choose to keep your personal files (i.e. Documents), but please do perform a backup first so that if you lose something unexpected, you can recover it.

As long as Windows 10 works, you can perform the refresh as follows. First, click the Start Menu and select Settings:...

Read more about this article...

See

Reaction score
This is unbelievable!!!! I have to wipe my system because Windows 10 DOESN'T WORK!!!! There has to be a better way to save my programs. So far I HATE WINDOWS 10!!!

Reaction score
This is unbelievable!!!! I have to wipe my system because Windows 10 DOESN'T WORK!!!! There has to be a better way to save my programs. So far I HATE WINDOWS 10!!!

So far Windows 10 update has removed all recovery points, removed my update history and crippled the update system with error 80070422 a lot of people seem to know the several reasons for the error, but so far no fixes.
When do you think Microsoft will sort out this upgrade.
Found two new suggestions on line.
I claim no credit for these but they worked for me, Up to a point.
Go to C:\softwareDistribution\Download and empty this folder.
then go cmd and type wuauclt.exe /updatenow. updates will be loaded.
Next go to C:\ $windows.~Ws\sources\windows in this folder find setup.exe and run it.
I found a very different install screen to the one I have had for days.
It went all the way to telling me about the screen changing and selecting what I wanted to keep.
Said computer would restart in a few seconds, then said update failed.
Put me back to win 7 with no error numbers, nothing to say why it failed.
Terry

Last edited:
Reaction score
After reset, my PC was started automatically. Same thing occurred-error loading OS. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
How do I get in touch with the Microsoft weenies to take care of my problem?

Reaction score
Capture.PNG
I don't see why there's not a reset or a repair option that keeps your 'apps'... and by apps I mean programs, the word apps is misleading it makes you think that it's just the Windows apps that get deleted.

It also means all your 30GB-60GB GAMES and all your PROGRAMS!

When you install a new Windows version eg 10240 -> 10525 it doesn't delete all your programs (apps?) and it can fix a lot of stuff.
Since SFC and DISM rarely work anymore it would be nice to have this as an option too..

Reaction score
So far Windows 10 update has removed all recovery points, removed my update history and crippled the update system with error 80070422 a lot of people seem to know the several reasons for the error, but so far no fixes.
When do you think Microsoft will sort out this upgrade.
Found two new suggestions on line.
I claim no credit for these but they worked for me, Up to a point.
Go to C:\softwareDistribution\Download and empty this folder.
then go cmd and type wuauclt.exe /updatenow. updates will be loaded.
Next go to C:\ $windows.~Ws\sources\windows in this folder find setup.exe and run it.
I found a very different install screen to the one I have had for days.
It went all the way to telling me about the screen changing and selecting what I wanted to keep.
Said computer would restart in a few seconds, then said update failed.
Put me back to win 7 with no error numbers, nothing to say why it failed.
Terry
I would try but it's stuck on the screen that says error_inaccessible_boot_drive.
WHAT DO I DO : (
Also no CD/DVD drive either.
And I can't even push F8 to do it that way.

Reaction score
Please can someone help me??? This has been going on for a week: (
Is there anyway I can download the tool to fix it on my phone?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have a look in your System Setup Utility (BIOS) and first check that your boot order is correct and it's pointing to the proper drive that contains your install, generally it would be disk 0 on SATA 0 and maybe mention something about Windows Boot Manager if the system is UEFI.
Then check your drive controller mode and see what it is set for and make a note of that.
Then try experimenting with other settings that may be available. SATA (AHCI) SATA (IDE) Native (IDE) hopefully one of those will work and at least get your over the hump.
The wording may be slightly different depending on your BIOS but the basic consensus it that the reset process has default your drive controller to mode that is not supported, so try the various options available in your BIOS and see if one will work.

Reaction score
I wonder what each of these computers were being used for (what programs were running) when the "crash" occurred.

How many were "gaming" or doing intense graphics.

Reaction score
I wonder what each of these computers were being used for (what programs were running) when the "crash" occurred.

How many were "gaming" or doing intense graphics.

I wonder if you have seen that this threat is over three years old

Reaction score
Yep, with computers dates are important to note as the problem machine/s will have either been fixed, junked/replaced or the OP/Original Poster has moved on and will never see the thread again.

Reaction score
There’s also an in-place upgrade repair:
If you can access Windows & need to repair it without losing any apps, files, folders or third party programs then just insert the media USB/DVD & run setup.

Ask a Question