Safe Mode

Safe Mode

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Safe Mode - How to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode

If you run in to problems with your PC or need to troubleshoot hardware problems, there's a very good chance that you'll want to use "Safe Mode". This boots Windows 10 using minimal drivers and services, plus it prevents any of the usual startup applications from loading.

This article assumes that you can already boot in to Windows 10 - if not, please use the recovery media to attempt to boot in to safe mode. If your system fails to boot twice in a row, you will also be presented with the...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
Something worth adding here, perhaps.

Users have read, or experienced, a faster boot time in Windows 10. In a way, this has been a bit of a cheat by Microsoft. What they have done is eliminated a window/facility during the boot process. This has, itself, caused the now added complaint regarding the tortuous way of being able to access safe mode.

If you are willing to sacrifice that faster boot, you can easily put this function back again.

Open a Command prompt, with Admin privileges.
Type, or paste in

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

On boot up, you will now see the "Other" options at the bottom of the boot screen.

If you are not happy, and want to return to fastboot, you can remove the option again with

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I'm going to expand it in the coming days with this info a couple of other points that have been mentioned :).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Davehc's point about it's impact on faster boot time, or rather perhaps, faster boot time's impact on your ability to effectively get into safe mode reliably is very interesting and perhaps worth caring forward into any additional remarks you make regarding it in your article.

Reaction score
When I was dual booting Win 8.1 with build 9841, I had experimented the method described by davehc.
It worked, but since my dual boot already provided Boot options on Restart or Shutdown/Restart, there is no need for it.

Now I am running build 9860 as sole OS in my laptop.
I tried the same method again.
This time, it does not work.
Whether it was Restart or Shutdown/Restart, it took me right back to sign in page. if I signed in, it led me to the desktop screen.
There was no Boot Options offered.

The only methods I am now using are.....

1. If I am already logged in to Windows, I will use Ian's article.
Shift key + Restart.
That will show me the Boot Options.

2. If computer is power off, turn power back on > at sign in screen, bottom right, Right click at the Power icon > Shift key + Restart.
That will show me the Boot Options.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you use the method that Davehc describes above you still have to press (a few times) the F8 key during POST. It does not automagically offer up the legacy boot menu, it just makes the F8 key work again.

Reaction score
I realize that.
In fact I was doing the same way as I did and telling others to.......
continuously tapping F8 key.

I'll try one more time.
I'll post back only if it works this time.

Reaction score
HEY !
It works this time.
Wonder why it did not before.

Thank you.

Personal preference only.
I prefer the method described in Ian's article.
1. I am lazy. Don't like to keep tapping the F8 key.
2. I prefer the green interface and the images over the black and white dos screen.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks, you had me doubting myself there for a while.
There is no problem with Ian's article. Those options work great if you have a properly functioning computer.
The real problem with a safe mode boot options rears its' ugly head, when you do not. The machine doesn't boot normally, and it doesn't seem to want to fail over into any advanced options.
That is when you pop in your recovery disk or install media, and move along to the trouble shooting options and a command prompt and employ the method that Davehc described.
It's a nice warm feeling, knowing that it is there when you need it.

Reaction score
I wanted to add. I was not aware that my method did, in fact, reinstate the F8 key. What it did was added the Boot menu extra function back, at the boot menu stage. For me, at least, (All Dells) It still doesn't bring back the F8 key function.

By the way, David, I am sure you are aware but "There was no Boot Options offered.", You have presumably, put a delay time in?

Reaction score
I wanted to add. I was not aware that my method did, in fact, reinstate the F8 key. What it did was added the Boot menu extra function back, at the boot menu stage. For me, at least, (All Dells) It still doesn't bring back the F8 key function.

By the way, David, I am sure you are aware but "There was no Boot Options offered.", You have presumably, put a delay time in?

No, I meant to say I did not see the screen offering options of whether I want to boot to my OS or other options.
But it is past history now.
Your method does work and does offer options I expected.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Evidently the behavior differs if you are multi-booting, I guess.
I believe I noticed that myself a year of so ago when I was dual booting 7 and 8 with 8 as default.
It shouldn't behave like that in a single boot setup and the F8 key should be your means of evoking the legacy boot menu.

Reaction score
You probably read my post on another forum, Trouble. It seems that it is a random Dell problem connected with there built in Fast boot., which sometimes stops the F8 key working. . I'll tackle it later.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You probably read my post on another forum
I did.
Can't say that I'm surprised. Keep us posted on any further discoveries. Like.... can you disable fast boot in the BIOS and if so, does it work then?
There would seem to be any number of configuration scenarios (fast boot, dual boot, multi-boot) which have a deleterious impact on this working properly or at all.
Has me reminiscing about simpler times...... when tapping the F8 key at POST would do what, tapping the F8 key was supposed to do.

Reaction score
Yes. Lot of talk these days about hardware compatibility. I remember in ye olden days, hardware choices were so small, they hadn't even invented compatibility.

Reaction score
To davehc,
Since you mentioned Winaero in another venue, what do you think about this......
Booy UI Tuner
http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.191

The article includes a video but it is using the 1.0 version.
I installed the 2.0 version and upon reboot, the Boot Menu appeared and I did not have to tap on F8 key at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks cute. As it loads up before booting into windows, did you notice any significant slowdown? But, I think we, or I, am back to square one on that. You first of all have to be able to boot to the boot menu. F8, if ever I find a way, cuts in well before that.Of course, there is a dramatic solution to it if you have a stationary - just cut the power a couple of times at source. The OS will then boot automatically into safe mode.
I guess you could also remove the battery from a laptop and do the same thing - not something I care to try on my budget -lol.

Reaction score
winaero.jpg

I chose the 2nd option. (screenshot above)
Upon restart, the dos screen will appear and it is on count-down to go to my OS.
I just let the countdown runs and it takes me to Startup Settings.
Image 2.jpg

Ask a Question