SOLVED Second open tab screen pops open while online

Reaction score
Hi:
If I have a document open on desktop, say a pdf or txt file, and I go online, after a couple of minutes the open document screen pops up & overrides the online page I am looking at. Never happened before, so I am guessing it's a glitch?
Is it fixable?
Thanks for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Never happened before,
I would echo that and add that it is not currently happening to me at this time.
I would ask if ......
You find this to be the case across multiple different browsers?
OR
Is it unique to one browser?
Typically I don't see many instances of true 32 bit applications competing for "focus" without external input, such as a mouse click or keyboard strike, but on some particularly sensitive devices that support "gestures" it doesn't take much
SO
Perhaps a second question might be.....
Are you using full fledged 32 bit programs to view PDFs and TXT files or are you using a Windows Store App?

Reaction score
Well I tried MS Edge and ran it for about 30 minutes while a pdf was open (adobe). No problem, other than all the ads and pop ups on Windows...Couldn't read the news as all the popups kept blocking what I was trying to read lol. I use Chrome.

So I guess the problem lies with Chrome.

Thanks for the help!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting....
Maybe some further investigating, paying particular attention to the the Chrome extensions you're employing might reveal a culprit as I wouldn't think it was the root browser or else we would probably be hearing more similar complaints.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, can you check a Registry value please:
  • Type cmd into Cortana search field, then press Enter
  • At the command prompt, type or copy & paste the following QUERY command:

Code:
    REG QUERY "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "ForegroundLockTimeout"

Press Enter to execute the QUERY.

Sample of what you should see

cmd.png

Is the Hexadecimal Data value in your case, the same as the above image, i.e. 0x30d40

If it not the same, then something has changed this, and that will be why other applications can steal focus from your browser.

Let us know.

Reaction score
Thanks. I did that & get the same code 0x30d40. I have the same Chrome extensions for the past 6 months or more.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have the same Chrome extensions for the past 6 months or more.
Thank You.
Any idea as to how many times the Chrome Browser itself might have been updated in that same "6 months" history and whether or not those extensions might have been adjusted to inter-operate with any core browser updates or changes.

Reaction score
Huh? Absolutely no idea.
It's really not a big deal, life is too short.;)
BTW, I like your
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us."
To the men and women of our Armed Forces, past, present and future.... My undying gratitude.
Thank You!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
life is too short.
Agreed.
BTW, I like your
Appreciate that.
The first sentence is a borrowed quote or perhaps a paraphrase depending on whether or not George Orwell or Winston Churchill receives the attribution.
The second is my sincere feelings towards the men and women who wear the uniform. I am grateful for their sacrifice.
"All gave some, some gave all"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
sunspots maybe?
Well there has been some recent reports of a star having been ejected from our galaxy, but....
It involves "light years", so you'll have to do the math yourself to see if the event coincides with your issue. :)

Reaction score
Trouble:
I found this, and hopefully it will work, IF I got all the steps right, as his version of Windows has some different pages than mine.

If not, I'm screwed.

Reaction score
Well i did not help as when I logged into gmail just now, google maps opened up after gmail opened.
Back to the drawing board.

Ask a Question