Sleep mode not working

Reaction score
In Power and Sleep I have set sleep mode to be entered after a certain time. It does not enter sleep mode as set. If I ask it to enter sleep mode on the power down option it will activate sleep but when I return to the computer later it has already turned itself on.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like something is keeping the computer awake unexpectedly. Which peripheral devices do you have plugged directly in to your PC (or paired via Bluetooth)? It could be that one of these is causing the problem.

It may be worth setting the sleep timer to something like 1 minute and unplug all of the peripherals to see if that works as expected?

Reaction score
It sounds like something is keeping the computer awake unexpectedly. Which peripheral devices do you have plugged directly in to your PC (or paired via Bluetooth)? It could be that one of these is causing the problem.

It may be worth setting the sleep timer to something like 1 minute and unplug all of the peripherals to see if that works as expected?

Thanks. I should have thought of that!!
I followed your suggestion and then used msconfig to set it for a boot using "diagnostic startup". The sleep mode then worked fine.

Then in msconfig I disabled all entries except the multitude of Microsoft entries. Then I tried sleep mode again and it did not work. So, there must be one of the Microsoft entries that is at fault but there are so many of them that it would be practically impossible to try removing them one at a time.

Do you have any more suggestions as to how to proceed now. I have already disabled a few related to remote desktop etc. to no avail.

Thanks,

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you disable entries on the "services" tab? If so, I wouldn't disable anything there yet (other than for testing) - as those are often required for your PC to run correctly. If you're looking for startup items, they are now located in Task Manager > Startup (info here).

What happens if everything is unplugged and you do a normal boot (not diagnostic)? Does that work then? If not, that at least rules out misbehaving hardware :).

Ask a Question