Sleep mode

Reaction score
Have inspiron 660s CPU, loaded WI10 a month ago worked great, got a window yesterday saying windows 10 did not start correctly would I like to restart, yes or no, I clicked yes and its been in sleep mode since, unplugged, shut off, repowered, it'll shut off but goes right back to amber light, no matter what cntl + buttons I push when repowering nothing happens just goes to amber light, help please and thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's a Dell, so....
They can often frustrate the heck out of you. Try this.....
Unplug from AC power, remove the CMOS battery, press and hold the power button for 20 or 30 seconds just to be sure all residual energy is expended.
Replace the CMOS battery, plug it back into the wall, press the power button. You'll likely get a BIOS prompt about the system date and time so go ahead and reset it correctly and save and exit BIOS and see if it boots.

Reaction score
It's a Dell, so....
They can often frustrate the heck out of you. Try this.....
Unplug from AC power, remove the CMOS battery, press and hold the power button for 20 or 30 seconds just to be sure all residual energy is expended.
Replace the CMOS battery, plug it back into the wall, press the power button. You'll likely get a BIOS prompt about the system date and time so go ahead and reset it correctly and save and exit BIOS and see if it boots.
Thanks trouble,
Replaced battery and CPU came out of sleep mode but the monitor didn't,

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it possible that there is a problem with the monitor, or the cable, or the port on either the monitor or the video card?
Have you tested the monitor on another computer or test the problem computer with a different monitor?

Reaction score
Is it possible that there is a problem with the monitor, or the cable, or the port on either the monitor or the video card?
Have you tested the monitor on another computer or test the problem computer with a different monitor?
Yes tried all those you suggested, other than the video card, not real confident trying to find which is the VC on the board, I suspect that is where the problem lies.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If the GPU (video card) is the problem and it's integrated onto the mother board, then there is very little you can do, except purchase an add-on GPU and try to troubleshoot further.
Although based on your original post
got a window yesterday saying windows 10 did not start correctly would I like to restart, yes or no, I clicked yes and its been in sleep mode since
It may be a driver issue, that produced the message and you may need to remove / reinstall and or upgrade / rollback the driver.

When you first boot the machine, do you see the OEM splash screen on your monitor? Do you see any of the POST information regarding hardware components? Anything at all prior to the bootstrap process handing off to the Operating System?

Ask a Question