SOLVED Start button responding occasionally, not showing apps.

Reaction score
My computer came with Windows 10 already installed and then was set up by a technician two months ago. The windows 10 icon Start button on the Taskbar responds occasionally. When it does respond, the Apps do not appear. The Search icon does not respond at all. Internet Explorer icon only brings up MSN.com which will not close. Dropbox, Google Chrome, Skype have been installed. I would really appreciate some help please.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Kia ora Catlover,

Welcome to the forum.

I took a look at your System specs and see there it says you are still on Build 10586

Is this correct - meaning you have not downloaded and installed any of the cumulative windows updates at all?

The sticky start button and missing apps are issues that have appeared for some users but more recent cumulative updates have corrected this issue for most people and the Start menu has also been modified a little too.

It'd definitely be worthwhile exploring Windows Updates and making sure your Windows is running the latest build, which at the moment is Version 1607 Build 14393.105

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
My computer came with Windows 10 already installed and then was set up by a technician two months ago. The windows 10 icon Start button on the Taskbar responds occasionally. When it does respond, the Apps do not appear. The Search icon does not respond at all. Internet Explorer icon only brings up MSN.com which will not close. Dropbox, Google Chrome, Skype have been installed. I would really appreciate some help please.
Kia ora Catlover,

Welcome to the forum.

I took a look at your System specs and see there it says you are still on Build 10586

Is this correct - meaning you have not downloaded and installed any of the cumulative windows updates at all?

The sticky start button and missing apps are issues that have appeared for some users but more recent cumulative updates have corrected this issue for most people and the Start menu has also been modified a little too.

It'd definitely be worthwhile exploring Windows Updates and making sure your Windows is running the latest build, which at the moment is Version 1607 Build 14393.105

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Kia ora Regedit32,
Thanks for your welcome and info. You are right. I suspect no updates since the first build; the date of the Bios Version is AMi AC.03, 13/7/15. Since purchase date July 16 have used my laptop for important urgent work which needed quick production as I am not familiar with Windows 10 yet. I will explore Windows updates right now and start the upgrading process, then see if the start, apps and search buttons still need attention.

Many thanks
Catlover

Reaction score
Hi Norton,

I have replied to Regedit32 and need to start the Windows 10 upgrade process. Hopefully after the build the buttons problems will be solved otherwise will check out the URL you sent me. I've got a serious head case with the need to learn Windows 10.

Many thanks,
Catlover

Ask a Question