Startup problem

Reaction score
I have an older Dell Inspiron about 4 years old that I was using as a TEST computer for Windows 10 (fast lane) or whatever. Recently when I turn the computer on, I see the Dell logo for a second or two, and then the blue Windows "Window" but that is it. The computer never boots up. HOWEVER, if I hold the switch down to manually shut down the computer, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on, the computer fully boots, and all is fine. Any suggestions ? Thanks, Mike

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
@Mike13 See if unchecking "Turn on fast startup (recommended) helps the problem.
Click the Start Button, click settings, click System, select Power & Sleep in the left column, click the link that says "Advanced power settings"
In the left column click "Choose what the power buttons do"
Click the link at the top that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
Under "Shutdown settings" uncheck the box that says "Turn on fast startup (recommended).
See if that helps at all.

@brianw you need to start your own thread in the Windows 10 Support sub-forum.
Describe your problem as you've done above and include some specifics as to your computer.
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number, etc. and when and how this loop started.... was it as a result of the upgrade, after the upgrade, after an update, etc.

Reaction score
Mike13, you may want to expand on what "I was using" the computer for the Insider program means. Are you still in it and doing the updates?

If it starts with a second boot and not the first, it might be some driver is not loading correctly. Have you made any hardware or software changes? You may have an HDD which is not responding the first time or as Trouble mentions, the special file used for Fast Startup may be having an effect.

Reaction score
Fixed....I updated to the latest Windows release, #14271 a couple hours ago. Since then the computer has started up and shutdown properly at least 5 times. So I guess the latest update fixed the problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for updating your thread with that information.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question