SOLVED Strange black squares instead of text in Printer menu ?

Reaction score
Got it after the 1903 upgrade. I have no clue how to fix it... I have run the sfc /scannow and it actually founds errors (which were corrected). I have also tred to change font and text size to no avail.

1568311652329.png

Reaction score
What I would start with in Printers and Scanners is removing the device followed by uninstalling all the software/programs associated with the printer. Then, if not having the disc for use on the current version of Windows, go to the printer manufacturer's site and download then install the printer. May need it disconnected from the computer until prompted to plug it in. The various makers have different procedures.

Also check for software and P&S entries for printers you may have had but no longer, delete anything found. I had one once where the client thought an old printer was gone but the install found parts of it left and tried re-installing that instead of the new one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
I haven't heard of this problem with 1903, BUT....
It was a known issue with some recent insider builds.

SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ider-preview-build-18965/#bhEBQKQke0ucjXya.97

I'd manually double check Windows Update and make sure that I had the latest build to start.
Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.356)

I am indeed running Insider Build. I will check for updates and maybe return to standard version of win10 if not solved. Thx all for your input so far.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Moved to the Insider sub-forum.
IF you would rather remain in the Insider Program, this issue was addressed in the more recent Fast Ring builds.

Ask a Question