Unable to log into Windows accnt.

Reaction score
Upgraded to Win 10 from 7. First did it on laptop. No problems. Was able to log into my Windows accnt. Next, did my PC. All went well, EXCEPT. Unable to log into my Windows accnt. I type my email and pw, then it asks for my "old password". Type that in and I get that's incorrect, although it is correct. It says I can bypass that by hitting next. Nope, that doesn't work. I have gone into accounts and tried logging in there same result. Also, same result when I try to use Cortana.

I have tried numerous things I have read about and nothing works. I have changed my password, removed my email addy from the registry etc etc. I can log onto the MS site with no problem. It appears to be a local machine issue. Oh, and MS support was no help at all! Thanks in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you clarify, just a bit.
A "Windows" account would suggest a local account, while a Microsoft Account would suggest a Live ID account.
Are you using the same account on both machines?
Can you log on at all to the problem machine? With any account?

Reaction score
Can you clarify, just a bit.
A "Windows" account would suggest a local account, while a Microsoft Account would suggest a Live ID account.
Are you using the same account on both machines?
Can you log on at all to the problem machine? With any account?

Hello,

I can log on to the machine in question with my Windows Log On. I can navigate Win 10 fine except for anything that calls for my Widows Live Account ie; Cortana or trying to change Windows Log On to Windows Live account. Make sense? If I go to settings>Accounts>Sign In With A Windows account Instead, I get the same pop-up that asks for my Live log on and password then takes me to another screen and asks for my "old password". When I type it in it says it's not correct, (I know it is) because I changed it when I discovered this issue, however I can just hit next to bypass it, but nothing happens.

Again, I can log on fine to Windows live via the web. Both PC's are listed in my account there.

I hope it's clear what is happening. I appreciate your effort to help. I have been on every site I can find where this is an issue, however all remedies haven't worked for me. I even Reset the PC back to 7 and back again with no success.

Same account on both PC's.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Assuming that you have confirm that there is no issue with date, time and or regional settings and that the two machines are not, for some strange reason, named identically.
Try experimenting with a new user account and see if the problem is with that particular profile on that particular computer.
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

See if the new account presents with the same problem.

Reaction score
Using the new dummy acct. seems to work as a work around. I'm able to log in to my Live acct with no issues. I also noticed on my main acct. that synch settings are grayed out. Where in the dummy acct. I can toggle back and forth. i assume the two are connected in some way?

Am I to assume something was/is corrupted in my main acct? Am I looking at a clean install to make it right? Thanks again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No typically if creating a new account as a member of the local administrator's groups seems to have resolved your issue, then what most people do is just copy over the contents of their old profile folder into the new profile folder.
The only caveat being that you will need to have a third admin account as you can not be logged into either account you are copying from or to.

Reaction score
No typically if creating a new account as a member of the local administrator's groups seems to have resolved your issue, then what most people do is just copy over the contents of their old profile folder into the new profile folder.
The only caveat being that you will need to have a third admin account as you can not be logged into either account you are copying from or to.
Its been so long since I've messed with the folders, would you mind helping me with the path's? Thanks

Ask a Question