SOLVED Unable to set anything as my default browser

Reaction score
I was able to reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults, butt then still couldn't change them on the default apps page, I was however able to change them from Set defaults by app. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Well,I must say this is really getting ridiculous. Setting one thing (in this case a Browser) as default and flatly refusing to do so,it really is a crying shame on MS. I can understand they want to promote Edge and I have no problems with that. But to make it so hard for people who want another browser as default that's so typical of MS again. I really thought they made amends, not so.
Having blown off a lot of steam,here is my problem:
Win10 (upgraded from 8;1) and everything was working perfect until I reinstalled Firefox (I had to) and now it is just impossible to set Firefox as the default browser. I went to this and other Forums,tried every suggestion-no luck.
Now Firefox is installed,works perfect and is supposed to be the default browser,but it isn't.In the*****default apps it is there and when I click on it I have the choose between Edge or IE,nothing else.
Like I said,I tried everything (set default programs etc) nothing works.And that for such an easy thing as setting a default!
Luckily I have a dual boot with Linux,no problems there,default is default-period
Now what I gather from the forums, there seems to be a real problem with Win10 and default programs.I have two other PC's running Win7 (among other OS's) and no problem there. (just a note:I think the best windows is still XP)
Any suggestions about what i can still do are welcome of course. Thanks.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Tinfoil hat time. Wouldn't it be interesting if we all found out that Microsoft had this conspiracy to ban 3rd party apps that compete with Microsoft's offerings, and wouldn't allow them to be set as default and eventually uninstall them from machine without warning?

That was a complete joke, I wasn't being serious, but wouldn't surprise me either way ;)

Reaction score
Well,I think they won't go as far as to uninstall 3rd party apps,but that they try to make it as difficult as they can to avoid installing competing apps,that seems obvious.

Reaction score
"Microsoft had this conspiracy to ban 3rd party apps"
Lol. I think they may have already found a way to do that (This is not compatible with the system"

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Any chance I can get Firefox as default in *******Windows10?

Option 1
defaults.PNG

Option 2
Goto (copy and paste into file explorer)
Code:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs

defaults2.PNG

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IN addition you might want to try one last option to see if that helps at all.
Go here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set program access and computer defaults (fourth on the list of links)

Capture.PNG

Make sure that the "Custom" radio button is selected and then click the double down arrows on the right to expand it.

Capture1.PNG

Select the radio button next to Mozilla Firefox and make sure that the adjacent box "Enable access to this program" is selected.
They should all be checked by default, but for some reason, sometimes they get in-checked.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
tried both of them-no luck

Try for 64-bit Firefox
Code:
 "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\uninstall\helper.exe" /SetAsDefaultAppGlobal

Change path to
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)
32-bit Firefox if you have that.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I see more than 50 ways to skin this cat...

Run Spot, Hide...!

Reaction score
I couldn't do that. It said: C:\Program Files etc is not recognized as a valid internal or external command
Meanwhile I downloaded and installed Firefox 64bit, but same problem to get that as default.

Reaction score
Try setting Edge or IE as your default, restart and then try again with Firefox - preferably through the Control Panel

Reaction score
Hi davehc, I tried your suggestion-no luck
Data: I don't know what. I just went to the Admin prompt and did it and I got that response

Ask a Question