Updates for other microsoft products not wanted

Reaction score
Since the Creators Update, despite unticking the 'give me updates for other Microsoft products' option in update Advanced Settings, Windows Update is re-enabling this option and downloading Microsoft Office updates - which I do not want. Is there any way to prevent these updates?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tobur,

Welcome to the Forum.

You are correct in your observation regarding the behavior of the Windows update service.

Scenario
  • In the Advanced Options of Windows update service you remove check thinking this will prevent the download of other Microsoft Products.
  • This action sets the RegisteredWithAU Flag in the Registry to 0
This flag is located here:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Services\7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d
  • Upon restarting computer this Flag remains unchanged, however, upon checking for updates this flag is reset to 1 and the checkmark you removed in Advanced settings is replaced.
Previous Versions of Windows 10 [ i.e. 15xx and 16xx ]
  • In the previous builds of Windows 10, and also in previous Microsoft Windows OS's like Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 you were able to use VBS functions in a once off run to remove the Microsoft.Update.ServiceManager however this at the moment does not appear to be possible. Atleast, it definitely is not working on my test machine running Windows 10 Creator 1703, Build 15063.138 Home Edition.
Sample Scripts

Adding the Service [ i.e. enabling it ]

Code:
Set ServiceManager = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.ServiceManager")
ServiceManager.ClientApplicationID = "My App"
'add the Microsoft Update Service by GUID'
Set NewUpdateService = ServiceManager.AddService2("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d",7,"")

Removing the Service [i.e. disabling it ]

Code:
'remove the Microsoft Update Service by GUID'
ServiceManager.RemoveService("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d")

Microsoft Website with source of this information

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa826676(VS.85).aspx

For the time being it appears we will need to wait and see what Microsoft's intentions are.

It is possible that someone may manage to code new Scripts or other source code to remove this Service from the WIM (Windows image), but right now this is not a priority for me, given the exponential issues with security breaches thanks to coward black hatters who seem to enjoy ruining others lives with their childish behavior.

One work-around for the time being

I can confirm using a tool previously released by Microsoft seems to, for now atleast, prevent other Microsoft product updates, and you can still download and install this on your Windows 10 Creator system.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

Sorry not to have anything better to offer you at this time. Hopefully, others in our Forum have other solutions for you. If I come across anything that works or resolves this, I'll post more here later.

Regards,

Regedit32

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Regedit32 have you tried NTlite? it can remove items from a live install, Im not sure if the free version is able to do this sepcific portion, but when I have a minute, I'll have a looksee, unless someone beats me to it. ;)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Feel free to give it a whirl Data.

I've been messing around with this for a few hours now, and whilst some modifications will stick, others automatically reappear.

Here is the four Registry keys I've unearthed so far pertaining this:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RequestedAppCategories\7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Services"
    • Note the DefaultService
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Services\7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d
    • Note the RegisteredWithAU
    • This is the flag that is changed when you add or remove check in Advanced options of Windows Update. 0 = no check or disabled, and 1 = checked, thus enabled
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\SLS\{7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D}
    • Note the binary ResponseHash
    • Note the qword ResponseMarker

There may be more to deal with here, as I noted, I've only just taken a minor look into this issue.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Opps forgot to answer you actual question Data.

No I've not tried NTLite yet.

Reaction score
Hi Tobur,

Welcome to the Forum.

You are correct in your observation regarding the behavior of the Windows update service.

Scenario
  • In the Advanced Options of Windows update service you remove check thinking this will prevent the download of other Microsoft Products.
  • This action sets the RegisteredWithAU Flag in the Registry to 0
This flag is located here:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Services\7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d
  • Upon restarting computer this Flag remains unchanged, however, upon checking for updates this flag is reset to 1 and the checkmark you removed in Advanced settings is replaced.
Previous Versions of Windows 10 [ i.e. 15xx and 16xx ]
  • In the previous builds of Windows 10, and also in previous Microsoft Windows OS's like Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 you were able to use VBS functions in a once off run to remove the Microsoft.Update.ServiceManager however this at the moment does not appear to be possible. Atleast, it definitely is not working on my test machine running Windows 10 Creator 1703, Build 15063.138 Home Edition.
Sample Scripts

Adding the Service [ i.e. enabling it ]

Code:
'add the Microsoft Update Service by GUID'
Set NewUpdateService = ServiceManager.AddService2("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d",7,"")

Removing the Service [i.e. disabling it ]

Code:
'remove the Microsoft Update Service by GUID'
ServiceManager.RemoveService("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d")

Microsoft Website with source of this information

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa826676(VS.85).aspx

For the time being it appears we will need to wait and see what Microsoft's intentions are.

It is possible that someone may manage to code new Scripts or other source code to remove this Service from the WIM (Windows image), but right now this is not a priority for me, given the exponential issues with security breaches thanks to coward black hatters who seem to enjoy ruining others lives with their childish behavior.

One work-around for the time being

I can confirm using a tool previously released by Microsoft seems to, for now atleast, prevent other Microsoft product updates, and you can still download and install this on your Windows 10 Creator system.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

Sorry not to have anything better to offer you at this time. Hopefully, others in our Forum have other solutions for you. If I come across anything that works or resolves this, I'll post more here later.

Regards,

Regedit32

Thanks for reply - I am a comparative computer novice (80 years young!) so much of what you say is beyond me - but it seems from what you say the fault is not with my system but with the actual update service. I have downloaded the tool you mentioned - wushowhide.diagcab - but I am half afraid to run it as I am not clear on what it will do or how to use it. Presumably Microsoft are aware of the problem and perhaps I will wait in hope for a fix - it seems illogical that I am offered an option to reject updates for other Microsoft products - but then Windows overrides my choice! I have received many security updates for Office Suite 2007 which I do not have and do not want!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tobur,

Below is a series of screen shots of what you will see and what to do if you choose to run the wushowhide.cab download.

When you run the wushowhide.cab file this is the first of five screens you will see.

Simply click the Next button high lighted in this sample image:

update1.png

After clicking the Next button a diagnosis algorithm runs to check for problems with the Windows Update Service. You will see a progress bar flashing away. This is normal.

When its done detecting problems it immediately searches for updates relevant for your computer, just as if you had clicked Start > Settings > Updates & security > Check for updates button.

This will take a minute or so depending on how many updates there are and your Internet connection and Microsoft's Server speeds.

Below is a sample image of the screen you will see:

update2.png

When it has finished detecting updates you will next see a new screen, where you need to choose between Hiding or Showing updates. In your case you will want to choose the first option: Hide updates

Later if you change you mind and want to view and download the updates you choose to hide now, you simply run the wushowhide.cab again and choose the second option:
Show hidden updates.

For now though click the Hide updates option as high lighted in sample image below:

update3.png

After clicking Hide updates the next screen will provide one or more items you could download for your computer.

Each item has its own check box.

Simply check the box next to any item you do not want to download, or see the next time you do a normal check for updates via the Start > Settings > Updates & security option.

When you've finished checking items you don't want, click the Next button as in sample image below:

update4.png

Finally, after clicking the Next button you come to the final screen.

Here you can choose one of two options:
  1. Give feedback on this troubleshooter, or
  2. Close the troubleshooter
The sample image below shows this final screen. Simply click the second option to Close the troubleshooter, or just click the Close button in the bottom right corner of screen.

update5.png

If you chose instead to Give feedback on this troubleshooter the screen would close too, however, the Microsoft Feedback Hub app would then open, and you'd need to sign in, to post any comments you had.

If you clicked that View detailed information link in the final screen you would see the following screen:

view.png

When you are ready clicking Next will return you to previous final screen where you can close it, or if you click Cancel this will close as well as the wushowhide.cab application (i.e. that final screen will also close).

Now that you have done this, the next time you click Start > Settings > Update & security and Check for updates button, the only updates you will see are new ones you need. The ones you checked while running the wushowhide.cab, will not show again, unless you choose to re-run the wushowhide.can and choose the option to Show hidden updates and remove checks next to items you previously hid.

At the moment this works fine, but as I mentioned in my original post to you, Microsoft may deprecate this option, as for now it does not appear to be a bug in their OS or Update service, but rather more an intentional new policy for all Windows 10 users.

You are correct though, in that, if this does turn out to be a bug, Microsoft will in time fix it, and they will probably do that via a Cumulative update which to my understanding is a few months away, given they only just released their latest one and this has not fully rolled out to the 400 million plus users running Windows 10.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tobur,

Below is a series of screen shots of what you will see and what to do if you choose to run the wushowhide.cab download.

When you run the wushowhide.cab file this is the first of five screens you will see.

Simply click the Next button high lighted in this sample image:

View attachment 5388

After clicking the Next button a diagnosis algorithm runs to check for problems with the Windows Update Service. You will see a progress bar flashing away. This is normal.

When its done detecting problems it immediately searches for updates relevant for your computer, just as if you had clicked Start > Settings > Updates & security > Check for updates button.

This will take a minute or so depending on how many updates there are and your Internet connection and Microsoft's Server speeds.

Below is a sample image of the screen you will see:

View attachment 5389

When it has finished detecting updates you will next see a new screen, where you need to choose between Hiding or Showing updates. In your case you will want to choose the first option: Hide updates

Later if you change you mind and want to view and download the updates you choose to hide now, you simply run the wushowhide.cab again and choose the second option:
Show hidden updates.

For now though click the Hide updates option as high lighted in sample image below:

View attachment 5390

After clicking Hide updates the next screen will provide one or more items you could download for your computer.

Each item has its own check box.

Simply check the box next to any item you do not want to download, or see the next time you do a normal check for updates via the Start > Settings > Updates & security option.

When you've finished checking items you don't want, click the Next button as in sample image below:

View attachment 5391

Finally, after clicking the Next button you come to the final screen.

Here you can choose one of two options:
  1. Give feedback on this troubleshooter, or
  2. Close the troubleshooter
The sample image below shows this final screen. Simply click the second option to Close the troubleshooter, or just click the Close button in the bottom right corner of screen.

View attachment 5392

If you chose instead to Give feedback on this troubleshooter the screen would close too, however, the Microsoft Feedback Hub app would then open, and you'd need to sign in, to post any comments you had.

If you clicked that View detailed information link in the final screen you would see the following screen:

View attachment 5393

When you are ready clicking Next will return you to previous final screen where you can close it, or if you click Cancel this will close as well as the wushowhide.cab application (i.e. that final screen will also close).

Now that you have done this, the next time you click Start > Settings > Update & security and Check for updates button, the only updates you will see are new ones you need. The ones you checked while running the wushowhide.cab, will not show again, unless you choose to re-run the wushowhide.can and choose the option to Show hidden updates and remove checks next to items you previously hid.

At the moment this works fine, but as I mentioned in my original post to you, Microsoft may deprecate this option, as for now it does not appear to be a bug in their OS or Update service, but rather more an intentional new policy for all Windows 10 users.

You are correct though, in that, if this does turn out to be a bug, Microsoft will in time fix it, and they will probably do that via a Cumulative update which to my understanding is a few months away, given they only just released their latest one and this has not fully rolled out to the 400 million plus users running Windows 10.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thanks again - you have really gone to a lot of trouble to help me and I really appreciate that.
I will follow your detailed instructions in a day or two when I have plucked up enough courage!
Your mention of the Feedback Hub raised another question - I am using a Local Account on Windows 10 and don't have to sign in (I haven't set a password). Feedback Hub asks me to sign in with my Microsoft Account - but when I enter my password for that account I get "Something went wrong try again later 0x801901f4 - user profile cannot be loaded". Should I set a password for my Local Account ? In 'Sign-in options' it says "you must add a password before you can use the other sign-in options" Sorry for being so obtuse - I am only coming to terms with PCs.

Regedit32

Reaction score
That's a little tricky to answer for certainty, as the error code can be interpreted any multiple ways.

However, if a user Profile cannot be loaded, that implies the profile may have become corrupted, in which case while you are logged in and able to use computer, the reality is you are actually logged in as a Temporary user, thus the Microsoft Server cannot recognize you when you enter a Microsoft Account password.

If that is the case there is a rather tedious method to resolve this via some Registry manipulation, or by creating a new User account and copying data from the old corrupted one over.

Having said that, sometimes, simply rebooting the computer resolves the issue.

If this becomes an ongoing issue create a new thread and I'll post the two methods I know will fix it.

Ask a Question