Win 10 problem...

Reaction score
Hi Gang

From all my reading this is a big problem for a lot of people that are using Win 10... When ever I click on my app icon in my task bar or clicking on the all store icon on my desktop nothing happens except I get the blue screen with the white bag for a few seconds and it goes away with nothing happening... and my IE 11 does not work either I understand these two are connected some how.... I have been using Win 10 for some time and everything was working great then all of a sudden I went to click on my apps to add something and found it was not working so I did some research on the problem and in reading this one item it mentioned about the IE not working too and sure enough I clicked on the icon in the taskbar and it did not open all I get is this blank screen with a box up top with the IE icon and nothing else and it goes away after a short time.

My wife has been using Win 10 less time than I have and she has the same problem... I am running Win 10 64 bit....She has Win 10 32 bit..

Thanx....Gunny

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Gang

Do you mean to tell me none of you brains have an answer to this problem...

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey Gunny... haven't heard from you for a while.
It's Friday, I think everyone is resting their brains.
Maybe getting ready for the big Windows 10 Anniversary Update rollout next month.
Take a minute and give this a try and see if it has any impact at all on your current issues.
Right click the Start Button and choose Power Options from the context menu
In the left column of the resultant window click the link that says "Choose what the power buttons do"
At the top of that window click the link that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
Down near the bottom uncheck the box that says "Turn on fast startup (recommended)
Save changes and reboot.
Keep us posted.

Reaction score
HI Trouble

Ya I have been very busy lately.... I know this is no earth shattering thing this problem of mine it is just one of those it worked before it should work again things.. Plus I like things to work as they should, well this one don't... And being it did work at one time makes this all the more bothersome....

Ya this roll out will be a big one, I am looking forward to it....

I did what you instructed and no changes, I will have my wife do it to her computer to see if it works on hers. You have to know I appreciate all the help I can get on this... I hate things that don't work.....

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I assume you have manually checked Windows Update on the computer to confirm that there is no pending updates?
AND running
winver
produces
Capture.JPG

Maybe try the Safe Mode booting trick to see if that might work.
Hold the shift key while selecting restart and navigate through the advanced troubleshooting screens to Startup Settings

Ignore the "This app can't run" stuff and give it a minute or two and then reboot normally.

Attachments

• Screen1.JPG
    Screen1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 477
  • Screen2.JPG
    Screen2.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 430
  • Screen3.JPG
    Screen3.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 508
  • Screen4.JPG
    Screen4.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 521
  • Screen5.JPG
    Screen5.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 522
Reaction score
Hi Trouble

I just tried it on my wife's computer no change there either.. I don't know for a fact if my IE 11 and the apps things stopped working at the same time or not. I tend to think they did....Or it was real close.... I read some place in my researching this one person said that the 2 were tied together... I know that does sound strange... And I read a lot of people thinking a update caused it... I was wrong in my first post my wife's computer her apps are working ok it is just her IE 11 that does not work right... It opens to her Yahoo page and in a few seconds here comes the IE is not responding and you have to close it....

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

Ya ll my updates are good I just have a few updates that are dealing with Office 13 which will not install because I don't have it any more.. It starts going through the process and when it gets to "Diagnosing your computer" it goes for a little bit and stops and says it cannot continue..

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So.....
IF you boot into safe mode or safe mode with networking do things work normally (except for the new Universal Apps, which for the most part, do not seem to like any kind of safe mode much)?

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

Something funny when I follow the steps you pointed out it reboots and does a diagnostic thing then try's a repair but never goes into a safe mode like I use to see with Win 7 and 8.1.. Something strange going on... I have never used the safe mode with Win 10 so I can't say this is normal for this computer or not.

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
Considering your earlier comment I really did not want to respond. OUR systems are working..... yours are not...

If both of your systems are having the same problem, unless they are the same system, I would look close to home, which would be you. Since you probably set them up maybe you are doing something in regard to modifications which are causing the problem.

You state you found many folks having the same problem, but it appears none of those folks ever found a resolution...?

You are using IE and not Edge? What the heck is a "white bag" or should I even bother to ask......

Have you tried asking your wife for a solution....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you hold the shift key and select restart from the power option....
What is the next thing you see?

Reaction score
I'm guessing he meant the windows flag icon.

I am getting the impression many of these types of problems are being caused by corrupted data files. The PowerShell command you recommend seems to re-register all the appxmanifest.xml files which are, I believe, files used to store parameters and other info used by an app.

When the Weather App would open but not run, it turned out a configuration file could be renamed or deleted and the weather app would work again - once. After the first time the file was rewritten so we ended up renaming it so it would not be rewritten and that solution worked. In that case the file was an .SQLite configuration file.

What the OP does not seem to understand is many folks have problems closely related but so far no "solution" has been discovered to repair all. Until Microsoft releases some type of fix, it may take someone who is actually experiencing the problem to do the troubleshooting and find the solution requested.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
many folks have problems closely related but so far no "solution" has been discovered to repair all
That does seem to be pretty much the case.
The actual problem seems to be something related to profile corruption with respect to the Universal Apps, which in turn seems to be tied to a Windows Update impacting the user profile that is used at the time of the Update installation.
I did some research on the problem and in reading this one item it mentioned about the IE not working too and sure enough I clicked on the icon in the taskbar and it did not open all I get is this blank screen with a box up top with the IE icon and nothing else and it goes away after a short time.
I, however have never seen the problem associated with "IE" (Internet Explorer) and I have to wonder if the OP (Gunny) is actually certain that Internet Explorer is impacted or if he is actually talking about "Edge".
The former being a normal Win32 application and the latter being a new Universal App.
Typically there is no icon on the taskbar for Internet Explorer, unless deliberately placed there by the user.
Internet Explorer can be found in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (32 bit version)
AND OR
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (64 bit version)
Might be a good test to actually browse to one of those locations to determine if in-fact IE is actually not working.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The PowerShell command you recommend seems to re-register all the appxmanifest.xml files which are, I believe, files used to store parameters and other info used by an app.

When the Weather App would open but not run, it turned out a configuration file could be renamed or deleted and the weather app would work again - once. After the first time the file was rewritten so we ended up renaming it so it would not be rewritten and that solution worked. In that case the file was an .SQLite configuration file.

I don't recall recommending PowerShell.

Occasionally, that can help. It does not always work though and I've seen a few people using the commands on offer there that ended up creating more troubles for themselves.

Your comment on the Weather app configuration made be think about that KB3147458 update last month. One of those updates among the cumulative bunch wrote new policy lines into the WindowsStore.admx file which triggered an unpleasant alert for a lot of users who like using their Group Policy editor.

It would take a lot of digging, but maybe this whole issue that seems to reoccur for users and appears to have some variations of side affects will eventually turn out to be some early re-write of one of the hundreds of .admx files within Windows.

Reaction score
Sorry Regedit32, maybe it was someone who just looks like you.. ;)

I normally use IE on all my systems. The only time Edge pops up is when I do a search such as with Cortana. So far I have not noticed the problem with IE. If I had I would run Process Monitor from System Internals and see if I could pick up where it was stalling. That is what I did with Bing Weather. But I would guess some type of corruption or perhaps access problems which might even be caused by an anti-virus.

I also mentioned earlier about Quicken having log on problems after each of the Cumulative updates... might be related to a profile situation.

Has everyone seen the folder below. It appears to have all the apps contained in it that are mentioned if you do a search for the appxmanifest.xml files. This folder is in your profile section. Edge is in there but not IE.

Maybe we could think of a way to reset IE in case it is trying to open something it can't. Or run it as admin or as Trouble mentions try the x64 bit version. If the search options had been changed to use IE as default that might effect some things.

C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Local\Packages

Gunny, I may have misunderstood your earlier post. If so, I apologize.

Reaction score
Hi saltgrass

I was ready to have some words with you I sort of did not like what you said if I understood you right. What did you misunderstand about it.... I accept your apology no problem there... I realize some of these problems are very hard to explain so naturally they are just as hard or harder to find a solution too.. I appreciate your help....

I have been fooling around with computers since about 1996 and I think I am pretty knowledgeable about them building, maintaining, fixing problems, etc. I am not the sharpest pencil in the box but I try to learn as I go along... If I knew everything I would not be on this forum...:) But I do run across problems from time to time so that is why I am here.. I try to make my questions as easy to understand as I can.. And as much info as I can too.

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

Ok I did put the IE icon in my task bar on purpose... And if I go to IE where you mentioned I get the same results, it does not open or work if you want to call it that...

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you have a 64 bit installation.... did you try both versions of IE and get the same results from either or both locations I mentioned.
What's the chance you may have an infection that is causing the problem with IE and or some of the other issues?
Do you have another third party browser installed and if so, does it seem to work OK?
I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything to run it through a few scanners to see if anything shows up....

These are the programs I use to generally delouse a computer with virus and or malware issues.
ADWcleaner from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/
JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/dl/131/
RogueKiller from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/roguekiller/
Norton Power Eraser from here https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx
Malwarebytes from here http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/confirm/
SuperAntiSpyware from here http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE
Ccleaner from here http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard
TFC.exe (Temporary Files Cleaner) from here http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/
ESET Online Scanner from here http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
Eset online scanner is a bit different than the others in that you need to either use
IE or download and run their smart installer if you're using another browser. Then tick
the radio button that says "Enable detection of potentiall unwanted application"
Then click the link that says "Advanced settings", then check all the boxes except the
one that mentions "Use custom proxy settings", unless of course you're using a Proxy
Server. Then just click "Start", it will do a thorough system scan so it takes a long
time.
I don't check the links above everyday, so if you have any problem with any one of them then just Google for the program name but use the site names that I have recommended since I'm relatively certain they are free of extraneous garbage.

I usually start with Ccleaner followed with TFC.....
Then JRT followed by ADWcleaner, then the rest saving Eset Online Scanner till last to bat cleanup.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble and all

I am really ashamed to tell you this... But here goes.. I was never in safe mode actually for some reason I never got there but I thought I was.. Any way that is why nothing I was doing made any sense.. I am on my other Win 8.1 computer because I am in a repair loop with the one I was having the problem with.. So now I am trying to figure out how to get out of this loop with no success. When ever I boot up it auto goes to the repair and diagnostic thing.. I can't get to the screen with the 1-9 that you are supposed to use the F with.. There is a # 8 or 9 that I have to use so it will stop this loop "Disable early launch malware protection" I read in a article that you have to disable this so to stop this look business.. It is in the column where you click on to start the safe mode with cmd or network.

Thamx.....Gunny

Ask a Question