Windows 10 Pro Can't Logon to Server 2003 Domain

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That ISO has the ability to install both Home and or Pro.
IF you use it to perform an upgrade then it will upgrade from like to like (Home to Home or Pro to Pro).
IF you use it to perform a custom clean install on a formatted drive and boot from it rather than launch it from within the existing operating system you will be given the option to install Home or Pro at the beginning of the process.

Reaction score
Of the 3 options, which is the iso you are referring to? Maybe I missed it, but I certainly didn't see any option to install pro. I did it 3 times and the iso I used did not offer pro.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow..... that's a pain.
You should have seen something that looked like this

home or pro.png

The fact that you didn't would probably suggest that, since the machine started life as an OEM Windows 10 Home computer, it likely has a product key embedded in the BIOS for that particular OS.
There are a few work arounds but they seem to be a pain and I can't even guarantee that they actually work
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-select-pro-edition-while-installing-windows-10/
There are even some instances where I've read that you can remove and or edit (change) that embedded product key, but I think that might be a task better asked of the OEM.

Reaction score
We have the same problem as Quat.
Small company about 34 workstations, Some on HP and Lenovo PCs, some with Windows Home upgraded to Pro and others bought with branded Pro. The company has been peer-to-peer for years and now installed a W2K12R2 AD DC. Getting their W2K8 servers to join the domain was a snap.
Windows 10 Pro user machines had same symptoms as Quat above.
-- Used all the normal join-the-domain processes, using either the Metro-wizard method or the System interface to get machines to join the domain. All machines joined the domains successfully, but when users (even domain Admin user Administrator) tried to login to the domain using domainname\username, we get the Unable to login to domain accounts, message-of-death.

Yes we are all on 1607. Yes we just downloaded and applied the latest cumulative 748Meg October 6 2016 update. No change.
Other posts say the solution is to rollback a fresh install of previous builds, but where to obtain them and the cost in manpower to rebuild 34 PCs from scratch is prohibitive.

Ask a Question