Windows 10 randomly freezes for 10-15 seconds

Reaction score
I have ran multiple system check and everything came out positive.. Everything on my desktop/motherboard seems to be fine so I begin questioning Windows 10.. I'm a little frustrated that this keeps happening.. The freezes only started happening about a week ago when I finished updating all the updates for Windows 10.. Happens from watching videos to listening to Spotify..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does the mouse cursor still move, or does everything freeze completely?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You could try a system restore if it only happened recently. Search for "Recovery" via the start button and launch the System Restore tool in control panel. You could try restoring to a date just before the problem happened (you'll lose any apps installed since this date, but generally not any documents).

I'd also run a few general checks first, just to make sure everything is in order:
  • Make sure you're fully patched and up to date (Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates).
  • Run SFC / scannow (full instructions here: https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-use-sfc-scannow.12/)
  • Check event viewer (search for this via start menu) and look for anything marked as Critical or Error under "Windows Logs). If you spot anything, feel free to post some of the details here and I'll take a look.

Reaction score
I was thinking about a System restore but wouldn't that mean I would have to update all the windows updates again?
Windows is fully up to date and I have ran SFC scannow, came out positive with no problems.
I have checked the event viewer but I honestly had no idea what I was looking at with the errors and warnings.. The only error that came up was the error on the left(Event 10016) and the warning on the right(Event 34).

Attachments

• problems.png
    problems.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 424

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the screenshots, the 10016 error could be related to the freezing, although it wouldn't be my first guess. Does the time match up with when you experienced a freeze? Next time it happens, please take a note of the time and see if this error appears again at the same time. This would be help in identifying the problem :). There's a lot of info on how to fix this problem here:

Yep, if you did a system restore to before this happened, you would be required to get updates again... however it would confirm if these updates were the problem. If so, the only solution may be to delay them until MS implement a fix. It could be that it's not related to the updates and just a co-incidence.

Reaction score
Maybe I should wait for when it freezes again and take note of it instead of trying to fix the event 10016 situation.. I followed step by step and after copying the setACL to my windows folder.. it came up cannot find the file specified.. Hmm I guess If I can't fix the event ID 10016 problem I'll have to give the SR a try..

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 363

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I'd wait for the freeze first and see if the error time matches a 10016 event. Then, if that doesn't match give the system restore a try and see if we can narrow it down to a particular patch.

Ask a Question