SOLVED Windows 10 uses only 75% or 3/4 RAM

Reaction score
My PC has 4.00 GB RAM installed and since I am using windows 10, I have noticed in the Performance tab of Task Manager, that the allocated Memory is not more than 3.0 GB out of 4.0 GB. Why windows 10 restricts? It doesn't use 1 GB available for it and I must use this 1 GB. Most of the times (or even always) My allocated Memory is in range of (2.5 of 3.0). Frequently I get the message: "Your computer is low on memory" and this restriction is causing many open applications to crash and even entire system crash and reboot/restart. I must solve this problem in any cost and if not then I must uninstall windows 10 and go back to windows 7. I need your help.

Reaction score
Is your video card using main memory?
Is your swap file correctly sized ( i.e set by Windows)

Reaction score
My video card does use system memory: 2024 MB (Checked System Information in the Nvidia Control Panel)
What is swap file?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Erez,

Welcome to the Forum.

Windows 10 uses three methods to manage Memory:
  • Hyberfil.sys

This stores all the contents of your RAM when your computer is hibernating. This is what allows you to wake computer and return to where you were. It is also how Windows 10 can do a Fast Boot as it pulls information stored from this system file.

• Pagefile.sys

Just as in previous Windows OS versions, Windows pages out extra memory (Virtual memory) when your system has used all available RAM but needs more memory to function. You can see how windows is managing that via Task Manager > Performance tab

Sample Image

Untitled.png

• Swapfile.sys

This is a new Virtual Memory management and was created to manage the Universal apps built into your operating system. It's generally not too large a file and would normally be less than 300 MB in size. So when the system needs more resources for apps to do their thing it will turn to this swapfile.sys

All three .sys files are located in your root directory - typically C: where most users install windows. To see these files you'd need to open C: via File Explorer, and then via Folder Options adjust two settings as in image below:

Untitled2.png

I'd recommend leaving this swapfile.sys alone, but if you need disable it then simply disable Pagefile.sys, because in so doing the Swapfile.sys will also be disabled as Pagefile is a dependency for the Swapfile.

You can if you wish adjust amount of memory allocated to the Swapfile.sys, but as Tim above suggested its generally better to let Windows manage it. However, if you need to then:
  • Press Windows key and S key to give focus to the Search box
  • In the Search box type Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows then press Enter key
  • In the window that opens select the Advanced tab then click the Change button
  • In the window that opens if top box is checked this means Windows is managing it as Tim suggested. If you wish to manage it remove check then adjust in lower half of window and when done click the Set button then click OK

Sample Images showing what I meant above

Untitled3.png

You can also get to that opening Performance Options window by:
  • Opening File Explorer
  • Right-clicking on This PC in left pane and selecting Properties
  • In window that opens, in the left pane click Advanced System Settings
  • Then in the System Properties window that opens under the Performance pane click Settings button as in image below

Untitled4.png

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32. Nice one. I think that some of your explanatory posts should be made into stickies or into 'articles' ( Trouble's and Ian's as well) It is a pain to search the forum and having these things all together would be a help so that people could easily see them before asking the question.

Reaction score
Thanks you very much! Very informative answer! I set custom size 800-800 in my C drive and apps crash seldom. If I set 1600-1600 instead of 800-800, apps will never crash again. How do I mark this thread as solved? I am newbie in this forum.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it and I did it.

Ask a Question