Wireless wi fi not working

Reaction score
Hi Gang

When I first installed Win 10 it was working great got my wi fi connection working and everything now it seems I cannot get connected. I have tried several times, putting it mildly. I put in the Modem/router address and password and then I go to the site that shows you the wi fi connections and mine is not there. But there are about 10 or 12 that are there. I have tried this several times like I said. And I have rebooted to see if that did anything and it made no diff.

It seems from some of the reading I have done this might be a problem caused by an update. It worked great for several days.

And while I am thinking of it can you delete all those other wi fi addresses some how.

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Some people have reported some success in altering there Router's Wireless Encryption slightly.
Changing the WPA2 from TKIP to AES or from AES to TKIP.
You might want to give that a try and see if it helps.

Semper Fi
Gunny

Reaction score
Hi... Semper Fi

I don't have those setting you referred to. All I have is WPA-1 and WPA-2. When I go through the procedure if setting up a connection I put in my Router address and password and it says it is already listed but when I go to the Wi Fi page my router address is not there. I have one that is called a "hidden network".

I am with AT&T and my router is a Arris NUG589

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If your computer is not displaying your current WiFi SSID which is being broadcast by your Router then it may just be a matter of resetting your router.
If you do not know how or do not feel comfortable doing this, then perhaps give ATT a call and they will walk you through it.

I actually saw a post earlier today with a similar problem and the poster claimed that his SSID had been renamed (changed), which I find a little difficult to believe but I suppose anything is possible.

Typically, all you normally need to do is click the wireless (network) icon on the bottom right in the notification area by the clock and you should see a list of available wifi networks within range.
Pick yours from the list (which seems to be your problem) and then you should be prompted for your encryption key (password).

Resetting your WiFi router usually involves using a straightened paperclip of other such device and depressing a hidden switch inside a small hole on the back or bottom of the device.
Keep us posted as to how you are progressing.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
Hi Randy

I have reset my modem/router many many times no big deal. I have 2 other computers connected to it with Ethernet cable the one I am having problems with is my wireless laptop. My wife has her Iphone and I pad going through the router with no problems and she had to use that SSID and password a while back and it worked like a champ, So I think that address is good.

Ok something new since my last post my Laptop is now connected, the "Hidden network" Wi Fi connection worked this time, nothing changed and I put in the same info, Address and password and it connected. So it is telling me there is something I set that made my Wi Fi address show up as "Hidden". That is strange I have never seen this happen. Is this just Win 10 doing this because my Win 7 and Win 8.1 computers show my real address.

Tell me this is not just one of those I will never know why or how. :)

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Tell me this is not just one of those I will never know why or how
Who knows?
Not disputing anything you've said but it really doesn't make any sense.

It sounds to me like you are saying that all other wireless nodes on your network see the same SSID broadcasted from your wireless router as it has always been, AND......
For some unknown reason (IDK either), you upgraded Windows 10 machines is now seeing it as a "hidden" wireless network available to your if you choose to connect and then type in the same encryption key (password) you have always used.

I have no doubt about what you are seeing and describing, just having a difficult time wrapping my head around it.

Reaction score
Hi

I am having the same problem. There are so many things that don't make sense to me that happen with computers in general. Some really bother me and some I just have to say that is the way it is and it is working now so move on.

I like to know how and why things happen. And I guess there is no way of removing all those Wi Fi addresses I have and I must just ignore them.

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Gang

Well I spoke too soon, now I have to go through the process of putting in the routers address, etc. Every time I shut it off and restart it. I use the hidden address and it does connect then, but like I said I have to reenter all of that for it to connect again.

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't have those setting you referred to
Are you sure?
Most wireless routers have an advanced configuration page that will allow you to configure options for how WPA2 is configured.
See image.

TKIP-AES.JPG

Every wireless router is slightly different but most if not all support such a configuration.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

Nope I am sorry but this is not there, I looked every where and clicked on everything not there. Remember this is s a cheapo furnished by AT&T for their U-verse service. They had Motorola for a while then went to this Arris.

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What about the settings for the SSID
Are you hiding your SSID?

SSIDhide.JPG

Reaction score
HI Trouble

Ya I thought by default they would do that so I checked and it was so I unchecked it so it was not hidden and went to my Laptop and rebooted it and it still lost it, no wireless connection. I thought for sure that would do it, this is getting stupid now. :)

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

2 things I just seen IP passthrough and Nat default server both turned off.. ???

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
2 things I just seen IP passthrough and Nat default server both turned off.. ???
I believe that those two settings are for things that you are probably not using. Especially if other network nodes are working without issue.
I believe that they are primarily for supporting some game play as well as perhaps some remote access functionality.
Perhaps the provider might have more details regarding those functions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do me a favor and try disabling IPv6 on your wireless adapter.
If you don't know how......
Windows Logo Key + R and type
ncpa.cpl
hit enter
right click the problem wireless adapter and choose properties
Within the box labeled "This connection uses the following items:
uncheck the box next to Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
While there check an confirm that there is noting relating to any third party security suite / firewall product, in that box as well.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

When I click on that it comes back error...Windows cannot find. bla bla bla

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

• Scratch that last post, my thinking cap was on back wards. I did as you said and unchecked it, and looked for other things, did not find any. So I closed that out and rebooted and I had to put in the Address and password again just like before.

• Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

There is a version 4 there. When I go to all my connections, broadband, Wi Fi how many should be there. ? I have broadband , 2 and 3 plus a Wi Fi plus an Ethernet.

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What is the
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number (full model number) of the laptop you are having the problem with?

Also open device manager
Expand network adapters
Select then right click the problem wireless adapter and choose properties.
Select the Details tab from along the top
Change the drop down box to Hardware Ids
Select the top row in the value box and right click it and choose copy
Paste that information into your next post.

Ask a Question