Wireless wi fi not working

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

Ok here is the Laptop stuff so far.....HP Envy Notebook 15-J011DX

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

Just found out something don't know if this will help but I don't have to shut it off or reboot it all I have to do it shut it and that will drop the Wi Fi connection.

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It seems from some of the reading I have done this might be a problem caused by an update. It worked great for several days.
If it works, then your assumption above is and was correct.
And it may, very likely happen again courtesy of Windows Updates, so keep that download handy.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

Ok did all that now what after the restart. ? Will I have to put in the address, etc. Or will it connect right up. ?

Thanx...Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Heck if I know.
You may have to put it in initially if so, just do it and then reboot and see if it survives.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

Heck if I know, what is that here I thought I was talking to Mr. Magic and he was going to fix this contraption. :)

Well Mr Magic it still don't work. It has a little red X on the connection icon in the taskbar. I thought for sure you was on the right track. Was you thinking the Wi Fi card was outdated. ? What about a bad Wi Fi Card. ? Or a card that will not comply with Win 10. ?

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope, I was thinking that your original post indicating that you suspected an update was the problem......
AND that going backwards to the actual Mfg's driver from HP would resolve it.
What happens when you click on the "red X"? What do you see? What information does it provide? Errors? Troubleshooter?

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

All it says is there is no connection and it show me 2 broadband connections, broadband and broadband 2. It has along side that like 2 telephone hand receivers like tell me this is a Lan connection. And when I click on it and connect it ask me for user name and password. I think that is wrong.

Thanx...Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

You are right I did suspect it being caused by a update. Things like this are hard to pin point what exactly took place when I could not longer connect. But it seems to me it happened when they did some updates.

Thanx...Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

First and foremost before we go any further, you have to know I appreciate the help, and your time and effort. You are going above and beyond here. I just wanted you to know this.

Is it possible the Wi Fi card is bad. ??? I mean it is like anything else on these machines it will and can go bad, maybe rare but possible. So maybe to eliminate this maybe I should be looking for a new card.

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I did read one comment about your particular computer and the wifi card.
That individual said that the antenna wire(s) were not properly seated onto their little posts on the card itself.
Other than that I can't find any other references to your particular situation.

Picking up a reasonably priced Wifi (USB) dongle might be worth the effort. If the vendor has a good return policy and it turns out not to remedy the problem you can return it.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

Yes I did read the same article.. But I did check and all the wires were tight. I pulled the card out and just reseated it. Am putting it back together now see what happens. I ran this Laptop a short time with Win 8.1 and the wireless worked all the time, no problem connecting. And it was ok with Win 10 for a short time too them when the updates started rolling out I started having problems. So my thoughts are the card is good unless it for some reason is not compatible now. Weird.

Thanx....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just found something new about that particular adapater.
According to what I'm reading you need to switch the "Mode" from b g n to b g
See if that works.
It is relatively simple to do although I don't have a wireless card in this computer I will try to walk you through it.
First you need to right click the Start Button and select "Run" and type
ncpa.cpl.
Second select then right click the realtek wireless card and choose properties
Now click the "Configure" button at the top and select the "Advanced" tab from along the top
On the left side of the resultant dialog box you should see a list of various properties (features and capabilities) for your card.
Somewhere among that list you should see something regarding "Mode" that may not be the exact wording and you may have to drill through them and see which one produces b g n in the value box on the left.

Select that one and then on the left side "Value:" use the drop down arrow and change that to b g

See if that helps

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you absolutely certain that you were on the Wifi adapter?
Wired Ethernet adapters will not have those, but.......
Almost all wireless adapters do.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

All I found even close was this.

Wireless mode...802 1b/g this one was in the box when I clicked on wireless mode
802 1b
802 1g

Thnax....Gunny

Ask a Question