Wireless wi fi not working

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's the spot, but......
No b / g / n option?
That might suggest that the driver is totally messed up.
Do you have or can you plug this laptop into your router with a wired Ethernet connection?

If so and you can access the internet without issue using wired Ethernet then.....
Go into device manager, right click that wireless adapter and choose uninstall, if prompted to include drivers, answer in the affirmative. (Yes, OK,).

Reboot the machine and let me know what happens.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

I have not done that yet but here is what I have done and it seems to be working. I went into the Device manager and right clicked the adaptor and clicked on the uninstall and then I clicked on action and reinstalled the card and clicked on the update and when that was done I put in the address and password and clicked to connect it did and it does show my address now, and the little wireless button on my keyboard now is white instead of amber colored. I rebooted it and it came back on still connected. So the next I am going to do is shut it down and bring it back on and see if the wireless connects again.

Thanx......Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

Well it still is working. Came right back on and was connected. And my address is still showing in the Wi Fi hotspots. So I have to assume the uninstalling it and reinstalling it and updating it did the trick some how. I think in one of your posts we did this already.

Oh well stranger things than this has happened to me with these computers. Again I have to thank you for all your time and efforts. This is a great forum with some very smart people. I could not have done it with out your help. I am sure I will be coming back here again as I am just getting my feet wet with this new Win 10. I am liking it so far. Now if I can just find out where everything is. :)

Thanx.....Gunny

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Make sure you check the power options for you wireless.
Device Manager, right click the wireless adapter, choose properties, select the power management tab and uncheck the box that says allow the system to turn off this device to save power.
Also
Control Panel, Power Options, changes settings, change advanced settings, look for anything referencing the wireless / wifi, that might be impacting the performance and either disable it or set it to high performance, depending on the options.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble

Ha ha way ahead of you I seen that and took care of it and any other things that might interfere with the wireless.

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
HP has knowingly put faulty Realtek RTL8188EE WiFi adapters into their products since June 2014. This is a known issue that HP refuses to address.

I spent 2 months trying to figure out the problem. I spent 5 hours on the phone with Microsoft and they couldn't fix the issue...even after remotely taking over my computer. I spent $50 on a NetGear external WiFi adapter...and it worked great. However, since my computer is less than a year old, I shouldn't have to have an external.

The problem is the internal WiFi adapter itself. It is a faulty component that people have been complaining about since 2014. I called HP's corporate office and stated that I was aware that they knew of the issue, and could provide more than 10 pages from just one thread of their HP Forum where hundreds of others, were having the same issue. I threatened them with a class action lawsuit if they didn't do something about it immediately.

They have agreed (in writing) that they will fix my laptop and replace the WiFi adapter card FREE OF CHARGE. I suggest that every one else, who is experiencing this issue, call the HP Corporate office at : 650-857-1501. Press "0" and speak to an operator. Tell them you want to speak to a US Case Manager about this ongoing issue. IF the case manager refuses to assist you, then call the Corporate office number back, press "0" and ask to speak to an "Executive Customer Relations" associate. They WILL (AND MUST) FIX THIS KNOWN ISSUE AT NO COST TO YOU!

Apparently, this is such a "hot topic" that, with what I know about this issue, I am being "silenced" on the HP forum. They don't want people to know that they can fix it by replacing the adapter with one that is NOT a Realtek component. They don't want you to know that you have RIGHTS as a consumer!

Reaction score
ChelBell, thank you for that number. The 1800 tech support number just had me doing circles with them. I called the number you provided and asked if there was a working driver or if they had any info on the class action and they t-fered me and took my info real quick. I will post again if there is a fix or not within the next day or so.

Ask a Question