Build 16288

Reaction score
Coming down now for me. - Quite fast.

Cancel that. It was some kind of preliminary loader. Now I am getting the full installation - much slower

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Lost interest.
Maybe tomorrow
Maybe next build.
Frankly.... they had so much trouble getting this build out, I'm a bit leery of what I'm getting.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Its just downloaded on my end and the actual download appeared to go smoothly - around 35 minutes from initialization to install.

However now its at the awaiting restart point when you restart the pc it simply reboots to sign-in page and nothing changes.

My advice would be don't waste your Data downloading this pre_release --- hold off for now until it truly is working!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Update --- I found a way to install it!

When it gets to the point of saying Awaiting restart do not click the Restart button in Windows update app!

Instead: Click Start > Power icon > then select Update & restart

This works and takes about 20 minutes in total to install.

There is no watermark on your Desktop but if you click Start > Settings cog > System > about you will see this:

Untitled.png

Whatever the issue is it appears to be centered around the Windows Settings > Windows Update app and its clickable buttons.

Reaction score
Well, since my last post, I have been in bed (Overnight here), so I cannot comment on the sequence of installation.
However, this morning, 8 hours later, it seems to be fully working. I have not yet explored for differences or bugs.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
No obvious bugs. Whole new Settings item for Cortana, which I found useful. Minor changes in some of the settings (phone?)
Nothing I can see which would knock my eyebrows off!

I have made an ISO, but I don't see any real purpose in making a fresh install at this stage.

Reaction score
No downtime for Hustle-As-A-Service,:p
I am sure I have read, several times, that you had left the insider program?

You do seem, from your posts, to be very unhappy with it.
It is a free option and is filled with (bugS) pitfalls. Maybe no your scene at all.

Reaction score
In the face of several contradictory posts, I have to acknowledge the last post. Nothing is perfect in this world. Maybe there are a few items I would have liked to have been added. But, for me, almost since its first release, I have had no serious problems with the OS. Or Edge, for that matter.

Reaction score
W10 has worked pretty well on my insider dedicated laptop since build 9941. Early driver problems with the Intel wifi/bluetooth card but the laptop has ethernet. I haven't had any problems except back in the build 10xxx series when I did have to do a fresh install once.

I suspect that my Lenovo Ideapad is, in a lot of ways close to the standard MS testing machine. I5, 8GB, touch screen, standard touchpad ( not used...I use a Bluetootrh Logitech mouse) , 512Gb spinner with a 'cache' of a 22Gb M2 ssd) now replaced by a 256Gb SSD and a 128GB M2 SSD. Ethernet and USB 3 and USB 2. Built in camera, speakers and a really bad microphone...which works if you yell at the machine( no separate microphone port)

Pretty basic. No superduper graphics system just built in Intel.

Anni and creators all just work on my main desktop without glitches as well.

Reaction score
I am sure I have read, several times, that you had left the insider program?

You do seem, from your posts, to be very unhappy with it.
It is a free option and is filled with (bugS) pitfalls. Maybe no your scene at all.
One was free to come and go from the program at will. All I did was image the build and went back to the CU but this last fiasco with Build 16288 tells me that there are many problems with MS and with their attitude. I spend 2 1/2 years testing Windows 10 and I have watched an install go from 25 minutes to 4-6 hours or not at all since. If I never sent a Tweet to DS the issue would not have even been known about with 16288 for hours, The Hub is a complete waste. Anyway this time I have officially dropped out. I have wasted enough of my life testing builds for a company that just does not give a damn. Read the new agreement: and look at the image below that!

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/program-agreement/?OCID=WIP_r_Body_here

Untitled.png

They flight a Build on Patch Tuesday evening right out of Builds Feed. They could not have tested it in any manner as it would not install on any 64 Bit Pro machine. The professionalism seems to have gone out the door with Balmer.. No RS3 build would awake from sleep without a restart. I posted this to the Hub about 30 times with my email address which they asked for and NEVER got a reply, So M$ can stick it where the sun don't shine!
I have better things to do with the time I have left on this Planet. I am going on 70. BTW: every build from 9926 till RS# , the sleep function worked fine,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Having read the new TOS it seems to me its 'much ado about nothing' and given Shakespeare is long dead he is unlikely to sue Microsoft, just as none of us are likely to.

I plan to stick with the Insider program as I have some ideas I'd like to push to their technical team for improvements to the Service for the next year.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet.
Installed fine and everything looks to be working well and as expected. At least those bits and bobs that I actually use.
No expiry date
No watermark
New version number (1709) technically September 2017, which I expected is the locked in version number for the Fall Creators Update.
All as reported in the various links and blogs.

Capture.PNG

Tomorrow marks the one month countdown to October 17 public release.

Reaction score
I have let it update through the night. When I got up in the morning,everything was done and it seems this will be the "RTM" version as the watermark has been removed. They may still work a few bugs out and increase the built number until release next month....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
They may still work a few bugs out and increase the built number until release next month....
I suspect you're right.
I'm thinking we'll likely get at least a couple new insider releases with some last minute fixes
AND
Then we'll get the final version, which no one will admit that it is the final version and everyone will be guessing if it is or not, which will continue to generate a lot of conjecture until October 17th and then someone will say......
OH, well of course. I knew we had the final build days if not weeks ago.
AND
Then we're all off to RS4 for another six months of abuse and all is forgiven and forgotten

Regedit32

Reaction score
Then we're all off to RS4 for another six months of abuse and all is forgiven and forgotten

I can forgive . but never forget. When we forget, history tends to repeat itself. [ I have a feeling on one or maybe more occasions those at Microsoft releasing bug fixes have forgotten their past attempts which as a result has led to the moments over the last 6 months that has seen a few wanting to quit the program out or frustration. ]

As I stated the other day, I plan to continue in the program as I have a few ideas I'd like to push up the food chain which if adopted and successfully implemented into Windows 10 I feel might offer some improvements that should benefit us all regardless of which edition or architecture type we are using.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
never forget
At my age, I spend most of my time trying to remember, so.....
Forgetting is never much of a hurtle.
Remembering, more of a challenge

In college I took a course titled The Psychology of Memory and Forgetting.
I remember taking the course but forgot everything I may or may not have learned.

Ask a Question