New Build 15063 later Per DS

Reaction score
A lot concerning the version of Win10 on a store-bought computer will depend upon how long it has been in a dealer's inventory. Six months ago I set up a client's new machine and it had Version 1511.

Reaction score
Any "absolute version" of Windows 10?

You mean like in Windows 7 or earlier?? NOPE. You mentioned in the other thread a comparison to OSX. Windows is similar but instead of OSX 10.12.x you have 10.15063.0 as the current most up-to-date Windows-OS. previous version was OSX 10.11 vs Windows 10.14393.0 . The next one will be 10.16xxx.0 So,where is the problem??

Reaction score
longer number of the build, i do not know which is the best to download?
mac os is straightforward, if u update it, you get a suffix number increased by 1. :D

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
i do not know which is the best to download?
They're all fine. Just pick one.
It'll take care of itself over time.
Otherwise use the Media Creation Tool and get the latest publicly available build, which will also take care of itself over time.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Microsoft's new Operating System strategy (if you can call it that) is "Windows as a service" and as such, generally produces monthly (if not more often) "cumulative updates" which can and often does result in a bump in the build number. Not the version number, just the build number.
Obsessing over which one is which, which one you have, which one you need, pretty much distracts from what used to be, the fun of using a computer.
OR
You can always wait until a week from tomorrow, when the world will shift on its' axis again and the "Fall" Creators Update will be released and we can all start obsessing again when the actual "version" number changes from 1703 to 1709 and the build numbers will commence their march, starting with 16299.xx

Reaction score
longer number of the build, i do not know which is the best to download?
mac os is straightforward, if u update it, you get a suffix number increased by 1. :D

So you get a headache cause by a longer version number. If that is your only worry, you are pretty lucky in life....
BTW: As in OSX the build number increases as well in Windows 10. there will be a different number at the end every month, it just makes bigger leaps.....:D:D

Reaction score
So you are up-to-date. It's possible you will be offered a new Version 1709 soon or over a period of time. The build numbers usually change in conjunction with the Upgrades to newer versions.

Reaction score
So you are up-to-date. It's possible you will be offered a new Version 1709 soon or over a period of time. The build numbers usually change in conjunction with the Upgrades to newer versions.

Reaction score

Note: Mac OS X has been renamed with the latest now being macOS with the name Sierra and High Sierra next. I'd assume the X was removed as it also means 10.

Reaction score
I update by downloading the cumulative offline installer of the update file,
I don't update in Windows Update.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The version number is actually a date.
The date that, that particular version was feature locked 1703 is March of 2017, the new one is 1709 or September of 2017.
The build numbers are completely separate and not something I would obsess about. They are pretty much an unfathomable mystery to me.

Reaction score
Why version 1703, and build no 15063?
Why not a single number?
Why not, after all we've been living with a Version and subsequent Service Packs since Windows XP and 3 Service Packs, Vista with 2 SPs, Win7 with 1 SP and the even older Windows NT 4 with its 6 Service Packs. The Builds can be equated to the Service Pack updates of old.

Reaction score
Why after I did the latest update, my version is still 1703, can the version be changed to the latest one?

Reaction score
Why after I did the latest update, my version is still 1703, can the version be changed to the latest one?
Because you did an update, not an Upgrade. A Version number change is an Upgrade while Builds are updates to a Version. The RTM/Released Version 1709 hasn't been released yet, should be on Tuesday but as usual not everyone will get it at the same time.

Ask a Question