Here it comes!

Attachments

• Insider.PNG
    Insider.PNG
    648.8 KB · Views: 485

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
AND...... after way too long for a an upgrade..... granted it's a new system / build but still.....
Inaccessible Boot Device. Damn.
So booted from a USB stick with installation media on board
Dropped to a command prompt and did the bootrec thing, restarted and now I'm looking at "Restoring your previous version of Windows", so......
I guess we'll see how long that will take and what I end up with after it's all over.

In the mean time, I'll try my other fast ring install and see if I can break that one too.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The roll back to 16199 seems to have gone rather well, no ill effects that I could see, so.....
Not being one to give up easily, I gave it another shot and another Green Screen of Death with an Inaccessible Boot Device error.
Funny when it rolls back to 16199 my Inaccessible Boot Device becomes an Accessible Boot Device again, just like magic.
So I posted it on the Feed Back Hub and upvoted a couple others with the same problem.

On the bright side, my upgrade from 16199 to 16215 on my Hyper-V virtual machine went pretty good. No glitches at all.
Still looking into all the nooks and crannies to see what's new, what works and what doesn't.

Sure would be nice to have an ISO so I could attempt a clean install on my problem machine.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Does anyone like this build? It took many hours and finally hosed my hard drive. Switched to my most recent backup hard drive. I do not want this crap

Reaction score
Downloaded and installed without a problem. It took forever though....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In the spirit of never giving up, I was fortunate in that I had enough in the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads so that I was able to use UUPtoISO to construct my own ISO for 16215.
Using that I wiped the drive and performed a custom clean install which didn't take all that long and seems to be running rather well.
This was on my old, dedicated insider physical machine, with some pretty primitive specs so I'm not expecting any rocketship like performance, just a physical install to test the builds on.
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview
OS Version: 10.0.16215 N/A Build 16215
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner: Trouble
Registered Organization: Windows 10 Forums
Original Install Date: 6/8/2017, 11:34:07 PM
System Boot Time: 6/8/2017, 11:46:07 PM
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7592
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~2936 Mhz
BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. V28.10, 4/8/2011
Windows Directory: C:\Windows
System Directory: C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone: (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory: 4,095 MB
Available Physical Memory: 2,653 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 5,503 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 3,968 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 1,535 MB
Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys
I found both in the insider hub as well as elsewhere on the web that many folks are experiencing the "Inaccessible Boot Device" after upgrading from 16199 to 16215 but I've not seen any definitive explanation as to the cause.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ble-boot/182f4e5d-98c1-4673-bce4-00ef23bb499d

I suspect it might have something to do with the size of the system partition again and not being able to grow it during the installation process.
Most of what I see involves newer machines running GPT/UEFI with SSDs. Mine is an old legacy BIOS machine running a old spinner hard disk.
Fortunately I don't run a lot of third party programs nor do I maintain a lot of data on these insider installs so a custom clean install isn't a big deal for me, in fact it's generally preferred although it seems to be getting more and more difficult every time to produce or get your hands on an ISO to perform a clean install.

Reaction score
I would call you guys savvy users and know how to resolve, or where to locate PC issues.
How can the average user like myself with limited knowledge of PCs, possibly have any chance of resolving these continuous update issues. MS wake up! and get your ducks in a row before releasing crap to loyal customers. Other than updates to resolve PC safety issues, I'm happy with what I currently have. Windows 10 build 1607. Is there any way to stop updates completely?

Reaction score
Hmm. Is this directed at the insider program? This section of our forums.

Reaction score
@davehc Does it matter which build or forum it's directed at. MS users are losing faith in Windows 10 reliability, stability and expect users of the insider program or not, to to flounder helplessly like beached whales waiting for the help of strangers to point us back in the right direction so we can get on with our lives. I can't imagine how small businesses with no in house IT support are managing.

Reaction score
It matters only for insiders. That is free choice, even with a couple of options to make it easier. If you find being loaded with problems, on a test OS, then best drop out - your prerogative.

As for Windows 10. I cannot deny that there do seem to be some problems, as I read on forums. I have no explanation, nor, it seems, do MS. But, I have looked after several computers in my environment, including three of my own. For the time being, at least, all are totally satisfied with its running performance, except, of course, for a few wishes - pros and cons.
fwiw. My family doen the generations, number 14. All are running Windows 10 satisfactory. The majority were installed and updated without any help from me.

Reaction score
In the spirit of never giving up, I was fortunate in that I had enough in the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads so that I was able to use UUPtoISO to construct my own ISO for 16215.
Using that I wiped the drive and performed a custom clean install which didn't take all that long and seems to be running rather well.
This was on my old, dedicated insider physical machine, with some pretty primitive specs so I'm not expecting any rocketship like performance, just a physical install to test the builds on.

I found both in the insider hub as well as elsewhere on the web that many folks are experiencing the "Inaccessible Boot Device" after upgrading from 16199 to 16215 but I've not seen any definitive explanation as to the cause.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ble-boot/182f4e5d-98c1-4673-bce4-00ef23bb499d

I suspect it might have something to do with the size of the system partition again and not being able to grow it during the installation process.
Most of what I see involves newer machines running GPT/UEFI with SSDs. Mine is an old legacy BIOS machine running a old spinner hard disk.
Fortunately I don't run a lot of third party programs nor do I maintain a lot of data on these insider installs so a custom clean install isn't a big deal for me, in fact it's generally preferred although it seems to be getting more and more difficult every time to produce or get your hands on an ISO to perform a clean install.

That is what I got on my second attempt yesterday.

Regedit32

Reaction score
My upgrade to Preview 16215 got to 75% on the restart, but unfortunately reverted back to OS Build 16191.1001 :(

Will try again later as I did not do my normal steps of disabling antivirus and disconnecting external devices, which may be why it failed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I haven't seen the 75% number yet but I know that they did add this to their initial blog about the build the following day after the release
ADDED 6/9: Some Insiders have reported having their installation of this build getting stuck or hung at around 33%. If this happens to you, you will need to restart your PC and have it rollback to Build 16199 and wait for the next build with a fix.
It may be that the installation might just decide to fall on its' face at any random percentage of the install.
Did you receive any error messages or a Green Screen of Death?
The "wait for the next build with a fix", seems to be one a lot of us do on an increasingly regular basis.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Did you receive any error messages or a Green Screen of Death?

After it restored to 16191.1001, the Notification Center popped up an alert advising the computer needed to restart.

I'm assuming there was some kind of restart initialzation error for me at the 75% mark that triggered the Recovery.

For the benefit of others I decided to Restart again without disconnecting external devices or disabling Antivirus, just to see if anything else odd occured.

The upgrade succeeded this time. So to be honest its a bit of a mystery.

One thing I have noticed now the upgrade has worked is that the power menu functions a lot better if you have Double-click mouse [re File Explorer Folder options] set, rather than Single-click.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The other thing I did once it upgraded correctly, was to run the wushowhide.diagcab before the next update attempts to install updates for some older Office Software and my Printer, as last time it downloaded those the installs failed given Microsoft's Servers no longer allow access to these very old updates as they are discontinued.

To run the diagcab though, I first had to right-click on it and select Properties > General tab then check the Unblock box and apply.

Ask a Question