SOLVED Several updates on 5/14/19 but not Build upgrade..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Media Creation tool for 1903 seems to be available, downloading now to make sure.
Definitely 1903 looks like 18362.30 to me
C:\Windows\system32>dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\x64\sources\install.esd /index:1
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.17763.1
Details for image : F:\x64\sources\install.esd
Index : 1
Name : Windows 10 Home
Description : Windows 10 Home
Size : 13,998,570,900 bytes
WIM Bootable : No
Architecture : x64
Hal : <undefined>
Version : 10.0.18362
ServicePack Build : 30

ServicePack Level : 0
Edition : Core
Installation : Client
ProductType : WinNT
ProductSuite : Terminal Server
System Root : WINDOWS
Directories : 18679
Files : 87458
Created : 4/1/2019 - 6:09:02 PM
Modified : 5/21/2019 - 1:02:23 PM
Languages :
en-US (Default)

Reaction score
My first install using the Media Creation Tool and a USB drive failed. Reason, the computer has an SD card or USB device attached....

Strange I was so surprised when it told me I had a USB device attached... Since that is where the install files are, a little nonsensical.

I suppose I will have to copy over the .iso and mount it to install..... :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suppose I will have to copy over the .iso and mount it to install.....
IDK...… that's exactly what I attempted. I mounted the ISO and tried the upgrade from setup.exe there and got this

Capture.PNG

So.... Now What??
Some more investigation is required I guess.

Reaction score
Possibly, they have not officially released the upgrade and are still restricting installs. The note about seeing an option to download and install the feature upgrade on the Settings - Upgrade page has not shown up either.

I just copied the .iso to another system and it seems to be installing. Of course, it is now 12:00 Pacific time so perhaps the upgrade is now active.

Reaction score
I nw have two systems installing. One using a direct upgrade using the Media Creation to install to that system. The other is one on which I copied the .iso to that system and mounted the file to start the install. Neither one is yet finished.

I notice, early on in the process, the install downloads a whole bunch stuff.. I wonder what that is..

Reaction score
"Windows Update will automatically offer the latest version of Windows 10 for you"

This is precisely what I do not want. I have too many machines to manage for Windows Update to be downloading the same update on all of them. I need to download once and then manually install to all of them myself. I had actually started the download before the last two reported failures. I then preceded to cancel the download at 16% completion. I will wait a bit longer.

Reaction score
Both installs have now completed, 18362.116

@clifford_cooley I can see the problem and I do not know why using a USB drive was not acceptable. But copying the .iso file and using that was workable.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just did a wipe and clean install.
Personally, I don't have the time or patience to wait around for Microsoft to wave their magic wand and grant us Crash Test Dummies their gracious and benevolent blessings.

The funny part about this whole thing is.....
That I already have the damn thing installed on my Slow Ring and Release Preview Ring machine, which are both a couple beaters compared to the main computer that is giving me all this grief.

The clean install as I suspected was 18362.30 from the ISO, which was on a USB stick by the way.
IT then promptly updated to 18362.116 after a visit to Windows Update.... which is the same version on my other to insider beaters.

I usually do a wipe and clean install anyway, but I usually wait until after I've successfully updated normally and then ran it in place for a week or so.

Reaction score
IDK...… that's exactly what I attempted. I mounted the ISO and tried the upgrade from setup.exe there and got this

View attachment 10130

So.... Now What??
Some more investigation is required I guess.
I got the same window/message. Due to my utter confusion, I will take their advice and wait - no more experiments!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Due to my utter confusion
We'll start a club. You work on the password and secret handshake and I'll accept membership dues. :D

In the mean time.... let me know when Microsoft releases you from limbo.

The only thing I can figure out is that...
They were so snake-bit by the way things went on the last go-round they are going to be very careful and drip and dribble this thing out.

On the upside my wipe and clean install went without issue.
Only one driver failed to install automatically. An older Dlink extra network I have installed for my VMs.
Went to the Microsoft Update Catalog with the hardware ID and grabbed their CAB file for 8.1.... worked a treat.

Reaction score
I made a clean install. Just mounted the ISO and ran from there. Nothing to remark on. After reading of your experience, I then went to the updates. Seven waiting!!
I had logged in with an offline account, in order to get my user name correct. When I changed my account/login to my Microsoft account, and rebooted, it insisted that I use a pin? No prob, I put in exactly the same pin as my normal password.
Otherwise everything seems to be in order. Poking around, it does look as though the previously referred to issue of incompatibility, was possibly due to the fact that it had not, at that stage, updated my Graphics drivers.

Reaction score
I read in a few places that the Version 1903 would not allow installation if there were USB drives or SD/MicroSDXC cards present connected to a computer. Seems part of the issue is the new Version needing something in the range of 7GB to 9GB free storage for doing updates. I have a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Notebook with only 32GB eMMC drive but actually formats to only 27GB, without that extra storage updates are impossible. It has now been relegated to Linux Mint 19 and got a 12.5" Dell Latitude E7240 with a 256GB SSD to replace it [Renewed with 1 yr. warranty but less than half of new]. Now would be a time where the phrase "planned obsolescence" could raise its ugly head as the storage issue will apply to a whole lot of tablets and small computers. I'd wonder if or how that issue will apply to computers having NAS drives on their network.

Reaction score
When you get the cannot install message, there is a get more info link. Somewhere in there is where I got the info about USB or SD device was installed. I believe that mounting the .iso worked for Trouble from the USB drive but I copied the file to another computer and mounting it worked there.

Trouble said he mounted the .iso on the original computer used to download it. I can only guess, but if that did not work, maybe the question about downloading it for another system was the reason. On my download computer, I did not try to mount the .iso but did a direct upgrade.

I have not seen anything yet on my other four systems. So I am not even sure Microsoft has officially released the update to the public. When I see a message on the Update settings page that the upgrade is available for download and install, I will go ahead with my other systems.

Reaction score
When you get the cannot install message, there is a get more info link. Somewhere in there is where I got the info about USB or SD device was installed. I believe that mounting the .iso worked for Trouble from the USB drive but I copied the file to another computer and mounting it worked there.

Trouble said he mounted the .iso on the original computer used to download it. I can only guess, but if that did not work, maybe the question about downloading it for another system was the reason. On my download computer, I did not try to mount the .iso but did a direct upgrade.

I have not seen anything yet on my other four systems. So I am not even sure Microsoft has officially released the update to the public. When I see a message on the Update settings page that the upgrade is available for download and install, I will go ahead with my other systems.

Reaction score
Trouble mounted and tried an upgrade. I mounted, from the same partition, and did a clean install without problems.

Reaction score
Seems part of the issue is the new Version needing something in the range of 7GB to 9GB free storage for doing updates.
I have seen those comments regarding known problems with the new builds. Bighorn, are you suggesting the size of the drive with the install files (Install Media) need to be larger than the normal 16 GBs or 8 GBs? My first attempt to install was using the install media on an 8 GB drive so I will use a 32 GB version the next time I try...

Reaction score
I have seen those comments regarding known problems with the new builds. Bighorn, are you suggesting the size of the drive with the install files (Install Media) need to be larger than the normal 16 GBs or 8 GBs? My first attempt to install was using the install media on an 8 GB drive so I will use a 32 GB version the next time I try...
I'm not suggesting it but saying that I have seen forums and publishers like PCMag and ZDNet talking about not having external/USB drives plugged in which suggests the internal drives will have to have more free space on them, probably be at least a 64GB drive. And since the smaller Notebooks and Tablets don't have replaceable drives there could exist a storage issue for Version 1903 installation, especially considering the other well known issues with "bloatware" that comes with Win10. And one always has to keep in mind that a drive will always format to lesser capacity than advertised. My 32GB eMMC formats at about 27GB, not nearly enough but with Linux Mint still have 20GB of that free plus a 64GB MicroSDXC card.

Some pages about it:
Edited to add words at beginning and end.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, I used the 32 GB Flash Drive with the normal configuration and the install worked the first time....

I still don't know why the install downloads another 2 GB of data during the install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
For clarification.....
The ISO that I used was downloaded to a folder on a separate internal hard disk installed inside my computer and was mounted from there, not from a USB drive. It failed with the message displayed in the image above.
My second failed attempt came about when I extracted the ISO into a folder also on a separate internal hard drive installed inside my computer. I ran setup.exe from that folder and it failed with exactly the same message displayed in the image above.

No USB thumb drives or external peripherals of any type including even my printer were connected / attached at that time.
Just my USB wired keyboard, USB wired mouse and my monitor.

The successful wipe and clean install was performed from installation media prepared with Rufus from the same ISO for a GPT / UEFI type install.
I booted from it, used Shift + F10 to drop to a command prompt, used DiskPart to "clean" the drive, exited DiskPart and continued the install without incident.

The image above that I received for both failed attempts at an upgrade clearly stated "Your PC has a driver or service that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10. No action is needed."

Would have been really nice to know WHICH "driver or service" so I might have been able to address that

Ask a Question