Preview Build 17128

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Today to folks in the fast ring.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...dows-10-insider-preview-build-17128-for-fast/

Perhaps not worth much time and energy
On Build 17128, you will notice that the watermark at the lower right-hand corner of the desktop has disappeared. This does not mean this is the final build as we are not done yet. We’re just now beginning the phase of checking in final code to prepare for the final release. The only difference between this build and Build 17127 from Tuesday is the removal of the watermark. However, we’ve got more fixes being checked in for the next flight.

I can't even imagine why they would bother releasing a build with only that single change.
I mean......
REALLY, who even cares about a watermark on a preview build????

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Tuesday 127 has a watermark.
Today's 128 evidently has it removed.
Usually the purposeful removal of the watermark, especially if it also includes the removal of the expiration date, indicates that the current build is feature locked and no new features will be added.
The intentional metion of the removal might be a indication of that, although I'm pretty sure that, that's where we're at.... This is that time that they get intentionally vague in their remarks about which Insider Preview Build is actually the RTM equivalent and we find out at some time after the fact that we've been running the RTM for days if not weeks.

Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I remember back in the day when I used to manage a rather complex network environment consisting of a lot of varied workstations as well as multiple servers running NT4 Server, 2000 Server and 2003 Server.
I used a program call BGInfo
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/bginfo

It's highly customizeable.
You can get rid of all the default lines and create a text file, then define a custom entry, give it a name and point BGInfo at the contents of the file.

Then when things change you can just change the text in the file to reflect those changes.

Capture.PNG

Might be helpful to someone wanting that type of info available on the desktop.
It's transparent so your background isn't negatively effected.

Reaction score
I don't mind MS telling us what they've done or fixed with updates, it's the update information they withhold from users that's scary.

Reaction score
Tuesday 127 has a watermark.
Today's 128 evidently has it removed.
Usually the purposeful removal of the watermark, especially if it also includes the removal of the expiration date, indicates that the current build is feature locked and no new features will be added.
The intentional metion of the removal might be a indication of that, although I'm pretty sure that, that's where we're at.... This is that time that they get intentionally vague in their remarks about which Insider Preview Build is actually the RTM equivalent and we find out at some time after the fact that we've been running the RTM for days if not weeks.

I don't mind MS telling us what they've done or fixed with updates, it's the update information they withhold from users that's scary.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My computer runs much slower on 127 and 128. What happened?
No idea.
The computer that I'm using is certainly no rocketship to begin with, but.....
I can't say that I've noticed a performance hit with either of those two builds.
Against my better judgement and all common sense, I went ahead and installed the latest build.
Sure enough, both the watermark and expiration date are gone.

Capture.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My computer runs much slower on 127 and 128. What happened?
While doing some general house keeping in preparation for the next build I happened to notice that, the updates had done a pretty good job of scattering bits and bobs across my hard drive.
While of little to no consequence to an install on an SSD, IF you have a mechanical spinner hosting your Operating System, it might be worth manually running the native Defrag utility a couple times with a reboot between just in the interest of a little tender loving care.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep....
I mentioned it earlier https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/insider-preview-build-17115.16346/#post-82843
Although they've recently released 17127 to the Slow ring folks so they might bump that one out as a new ISO
UPDATE 3/23: We have released Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17127 (RS4) to Windows Insiders in the Slow ring.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...dows-10-insider-preview-build-17127-for-fast/

Although they may not bother as the RTM is due next month so there focus is likely to be bug bashing and general house keeping

Reaction score
There had been some indications of problems with Windows Mixed Reality in some of the recent Insider builds. Maybe this one will help with that. I will be testing tomorrow but until then, I have gone through 3 build upgrades in the last 2 hours with this new system. All installs went fine.

Of course my Mail app does not show any Accounts even there is one set up. Possibly because this install is not activated, but I don't have a Watermark for it either ;)

Reaction score
How long have the Insider's been able to combine tiles on the Start Menu?

I really like the window borders, something I and others complained about losing.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, I suppose if you aren't looking for changes you may not bump into them. I see an older install also has the windows border.

My modules installer is working pretty hard right now, maybe because it is Tuesday .. ;)

Reaction score
There is chatter on the Microsoft site about 17133 being the RTM and out April 10th. No one here heard anything yet?

Ask a Question