Win 10 does not recognize my camera anymore?

Reaction score
I've tried different and brand new cables on different USB ports for the camera, they all work perfectly on everything else but my camera?
With everything else having been eliminated the resultant presumption would be the camera is bad or the port on it for the cable is bad.

Are you able to capture images on the memory card in the camera and transfer them by plugging the card into the computer? Check the card in the computer first but DON'T format the card in the computer, only in the camera if necessary otherwise it won't work.

Reaction score
The card works in the camera but my card reader in the computer doesn't work, I had never used it before and when I did, nothing! I've ordered a card reader because I don't think there is much chance of fixing this, I've tried everything I think. Can I run Linux Mint from a data stick or thumb drive or whatever they are called?

Reaction score
Can I run Linux Mint from a data stick or thumb drive or whatever they are called?
Yes, but it's not quite simple to create. The way I do it in Linux Mint is using the Disk Imager or Image Writer in conjunction with the saved .iso file to create the bootable USB drive. I've looked around a bit but haven't yet found an easier way.

Reaction score
I've come to the point where I've had enough of jumping through hoops trying to get this bloody camera recognized by Win 10, I've been trying all sorts of different things since the beginning of March and it's taking up too much of my time so thanks for all the ideas and suggestions fellas and fellarinees. I've got my card reader on order and I'll just use that to download my photos from the camera.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect a thread that is about to celebrate its' first birthday, but....
I just went through something today while assisting one of the Deacons from a local church I used to do some IT work for.

It involved a Canon EOS Rebel 350D and completely had me stumped for a time.
This was remote so it didn't make things any easier.

Long story short and a bit counter-intuitive, the solution was to use the on-camera menu while the camera is not connected to the computer (apparently important as it turns out) and change the communication menu setting from PC Connected to PTP.

There are a couple other menu settings that we disabled in our quest
Auto shutoff
AND
Wireless
BUT
I'm pretty sure it was altering how the camera interfaced with the computer via the USB cable that was ultimately the solution.

Anyhow he can now retrieve his photos using File Explorer
AND
Even a couple of the bloatware programs that Canon provided actually work again.

Just thought I would pass it along in case it might be of some help to others.
I've had to do something similar on some smart-phones over the years but this was my first time on a camera.

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect a thread that is about to celebrate its' first birthday, but....
I just went through something today while assisting one of the Deacons from a local church I used to do some IT work for.

It involved a Canon EOS Rebel 350D and completely had me stumped for a time.
This was remote so it didn't make things any easier.

Long story short and a bit counter-intuitive, the solution was to use the on-camera menu while the camera is not connected to the computer (apparently important as it turns out) and change the communication menu setting from PC Connected to PTP.

There are a couple other menu settings that we disabled in our quest
Auto shutoff
AND
Wireless
BUT
I'm pretty sure it was altering how the camera interfaced with the computer via the USB cable that was ultimately the solution.

Anyhow he can now retrieve his photos using File Explorer
AND
Even a couple of the bloatware programs that Canon provided actually work again.

I've had to do something similar on some smart-phones over the years but this was my first time on a camera.
My camera doesn't have any settings relating to PC to Camera? The card reader was Ok for a few months then that stopped working too?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My camera doesn't have any settings relating to PC to Camera?
I suspect all cameras are different and the menus associated with setup and configuration are likewise just as different so it doesn't surprise me that yours may not have identical settings, but....
I just found the owner's manual on line and on page 34 it shows the following
Capture.PNG

That's what we were able to change from PC Connection (which would seem to be the logical choice) to PTP
AND
That change allowed the camera to work in a recent version of Windows 10. I believe he had 1909 installed and not yet upgraded to 2004.

Reaction score
Are you sure that the manual is for a Canon Powershot A2300, because my owner's manual doesn't show that on-page 34 and my camera doesn't have the greyed out choices? I have installed the latest Canon software for Windows 10 64bit from the Canon website but Win 10 still won't recognize my camera. The error code is 0xA00F4244 <No Camera Attached>

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you sure that the manual is for a Canon Powershot A2300
Nope it does not.
As I mentioned in my post
It involved a Canon EOS Rebel 350D
The reason for my post was
Realizing that it was not going to be a solution for everyone with all digital cameras or even with just all Canon cameras.
But that some might find it useful.

Reaction score
Nope it does not.
As I mentioned in my post

The reason for my post was

Realizing that it was not going to be a solution for everyone with all digital cameras or even with just all Canon cameras.
But that some might find it useful.
Oh, Ok thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
What is the file system on the SD Card? Is it ExFAT or NTFS or something else?
If it is ext4 or btrfs then you have an issue.
Just change the filesystem to any FAT and you are good to go.

I came up with this solution because you mentioned that the memory card was not being read.

Reaction score
What is the file system on the SD Card? Is it ExFAT or NTFS or something else?
If it is ext4 or btrfs then you have an issue.
Just change the filesystem to any FAT and you are good to go.

I came up with this solution because you mentioned that the memory card was not being read.
Thanks for the suggestion but my SD cards are Ok. I thought my card might be shonky but a new one was just the same, it wasn't being read either? I'm starting to think the problem is with my MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine) motherboard I took it out when I was cleaning my computer and I may not have put the cables back in the right spots but I can't find a datasheet for the motherboard or a plug diagram to find out?

Reaction score
Are you referring to the HDD/SSD SATA cable connections or do you mean the front panel connections?. :)

The front panel connector layout is at the following.

And the IO ports and internal connectors.

1593843981122.png

Reaction score
I was looking for a manual but all I could find was what Wolfie already posted. Weird thing is, not even MSI has anything on this Mobo which makes me think that it might be a license build . I could be wrong though

Reaction score
Do you happen to know what format the SD card has?, it may have something to do with that?. ;)

Reaction score
Do you happen to know what format the SD card has? it may have something to do with that?. ;)
It's all Ok with the SD cards, They have been checked. I just tried the camera on a Windows 8.1 laptop and it wasn't recognized, so it might be the camera not giving a handshake to the computer? Unless the Win 8.1 O.S isn't compatible with the Canon software, it may be for just Win 10?

Ask a Question