Windows 10 Anniversary Update released today (2nd August 2016)

Reaction score
I am starting to see some strange activity on my system.

I am getting Event 10016 errors regarding permission to grant local activation for COM server applications.
--- ShellServiceHost
--- CDP Activity Store
--- Edge

I am unable to log into the Microsoft forums without a message that I wasn't able to log in..

Edge, which I don't use that much seems to not be able to keep settings changes.

I am wondering, since I run as a local account, if any of this is related to no being logged on with a Microsoft account.

I will watch the system for a while and if it continues, sign in with my Microsoft account. Because they changed the way the system activation is tied to your Microsoft account, perhaps this is effecting other areas. If anyone has some insight, let me know please.

Not sure about your specific case, but I also got some strange pop ups at first about having to sign in with my account for some stuff, hell I don't even remember my MS account lol. Anyway I found un checking the box's in settings/privacy took care of that, so I'm not sure but maybe you have something checked there you don't need. who knows it may work.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am getting Event 10016 errors regarding permission to grant local activation for COM server applications.
Not seeing any 10016 errors with your references to ShellServiceHost, CDP Activity Store, or Edge, but.....
I do get one 10016 error, apparently daily. Presumably when I start my computer that references DistributedCOM / COM Server
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 8/16/2016 7:35:47 AM
Event ID: 10016
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Computer: 14393CI
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
and APPID
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">10016</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-16T12:35:47.973912400Z" />
<EventRecordID>3289</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="996" ThreadID="4836" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>14393CI</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">application-specific</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
<Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
<Data Name="param4">{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}</Data>
<Data Name="param5">{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}</Data>
<Data Name="param6">NT AUTHORITY</Data>
<Data Name="param7">SYSTEM</Data>
<Data Name="param8">S-1-5-18</Data>
<Data Name="param9">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>
<Data Name="param10">Unavailable</Data>
<Data Name="param11">Unavailable</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Which I am choosing to completely ignore as it doesn't seem to be producing any unusual symptoms.
FWIW.... I use a Microsoft Account always on my computer. I suppose I could create a local user account and test.

Reaction score
I found un checking the box's in settings/privacy took care of that, so I'm not sure but maybe you have something checked there you don't need. who knows it may work.
OK, I will try that. I just tried logging in again and it let me and the situation does seem intermittent..

Not seeing any 10016 errors with your references to ShellServiceHost, CDP Activity Store, or Edge, but..... I do get one 10016 error, apparently daily. Presumably when I start my computer that references DistributedCOM / COM Server

The error you are getting is the same one I am seeing, the CDP Activity Store.
CLSID
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}

The AppID seems to refer to the CDP Remote Text Handler

I have seen one instance of such a thing in the past but not two or even three. The One about the ShellServiceHost would seem to be important but I do not know what the CDP Activity Store is. Which errors you may see may depend on how you use your system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So far I've checked with others and this so called "roll out" some people seem to be talking about isn't rolling very far, many find that to upgrade they DO need to go to another system, like the MCT to get the thing. I had to do this same thing when W8.1 had that "upgrade .1," it never did show up for me in WU either. And at that time MS didn't release an ISO like it did this time. So I wasn't going to wait around this time.

So if your going to continue to wait, weather you think its worth the update or not, you may be waiting a very long time, and it may not show up in WU at all. Which may be fine for those that have no real interest one way or the other anyway. But who knows, MS may hose up security updates for TH2 like they did for W8 when they went to 8.1, at some point by requiring the upgrade be installed.

Like I said, I did have my odd problems the first time I went through the install process, I used a different method that time, the 2nd time I made sure I had the latest MCT, and let it "install on this PC" instead of making the USB installer (which I did the 3rd time around just to have it) and that time it all worked out fine.

The 2 items I had that were off whack, was my IntelPro set tray icon which I fixed by uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, and my Atomic Clock tray, which was fixed by the author. The start menu is a bit different, but its nothing that bother's me now. Other stuff usually ends up being "fixed" as updates come along . And Oh yeah, the MS games had to be reinstalled with a new installer fixed for Redstone.

It even installed fine on my old desktop that had Vista, and it has some pretty old hardware with only 4g ram, yet is running well.

Just some FYI ......... :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I check for upgrades I get "Your device is up to date. Last checked: ‎30/‎03/‎2016, ‏‎19:26" Then, when I try to upgrade I get "We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn’t work, make sure that you’re connected to the Internet."
What do I need to do to get this "anniversary" upgrade?
DGB
To get the Anniversary upgrade click on Start/settings/security updates/ then click on learn more and it will open the upgrade page.

Reaction score
I don't see anything there that would be of any use to me.
I don't use the pen stylus.
I Very rarely use contana.
I don't use edge.
I use classic shell so am one step ahead of M S on that one.
{ Everything is working why do i need to change it. };)
Same here...
Actually it took me days to configure my system as it is...
and disable the tasks for cortana and edge...
Also it took me hours to install a working version of the original windows 7 game spider solitaire...
Every major update of windoiws removes it automatically so I have to restart all over again...
That is why I am not touching this one with a 10 foot pole.
(All I need is word, excel and photoshop as well as a good audio editor)
I am allways annoyed when i click a file and it says: there are new apps to open this...
I do NOT want new apps.. i want the programs I use.. thats all...
@ Defender01 Yes you are right... the classic shell is the best!

Reaction score
To get the Anniversary upgrade click on Start/settings/security updates/ then click on learn more and it will open the upgrade page.
Or if all is working leave well alone.;)
The Anniversary upgrade seems to have caused more problems than it fixed for many. :(

Reaction score
I always say delay any upgrades by 4-6 months (which you can do with W10 Pro). Gotta give dust a chance to settle with the subsequent updates following initial release/upgrade.

Reaction score
Whenever I check for upgrades I get "We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn’t work, make sure that you’re connected to the Internet."
If I try to load free apps from the microsoft Store I get " Something went wrong -Error code 0x80248014"
Internet access OK, PC operation seems OK.
Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Most Useless Update of all time, One big step to make Winblows 10 an even worse OS than it was. 45 min update of pure Hot Gas.

Ask a Question