Windows 10 Anniversary Update released today (2nd August 2016)

Reaction score
Millions of computers owners know how good it was back in 1985 when OS Windows 1.0 came on the scene, and later 1987 Windows 2.0 saw it head pop up and things was getting better to own a computer. 1995 we saw the new Windows 95 OS and it ran like a top, and very little complaints. 1998 we got Windows 98 and it was better, and 2001 we got Windows XP, and I will say that was the best Operating System that MS put out. 2007 Windows 7 appeared on the screen and it was great. I know, I still have a PC with 7 and I'm not going any farther forward with WIN10. My other two PC's have WIN10 Home and WIN10 Pro, and each day that I have upgraded to these two PC's with 10, it's been a pain .

I've said this so many times... When you have a system that is running great, and it may need some improvements, just fix the problem(s) and make it better, not go into a complete new system and take months and years to solve.

Reaction score
Millions of computers owners know how good it was back in 1985 when OS Windows 1.0 came on the scene, and later 1987 Windows 2.0 saw it head pop up and things was getting better to own a computer. 1995 we saw the new Windows 95 OS and it ran like a top, and very little complaints. 1998 we got Windows 98 and it was better, and 2001 we got Windows XP, and I will say that was the best Operating System that MS put out. 2007 Windows 7 appeared on the screen and it was great. I know, I still have a PC with 7 and I'm not going any farther forward with WIN10. My other two PC's have WIN10 Home and WIN10 Pro, and each day that I have upgraded to these two PC's with 10, it's been a pain .

I've said this so many times... When you have a system that is running great, and it may need some improvements, just fix the problem(s) and make it better, not go into a complete new system and take months and years to solve.
You missed a few. Windows 2000 was way better than XP. Same version XP was built off, but without the kiddie GUI of XP. You forget the limitations with the 64kb set aside for system resources on Windows 9x, and the utter disaster of Windows ME.

I still say short of the start menu debacle, Windows 8.1 was the best OS of all.

Reaction score
Personally, I think that Windows 10 was designed for tablets and mobile phones, not Desk / Laptops.

Reaction score
I never was tempted to switch to Windows 2000. I stayed with XP till WIN 7. Had XP up to 2014 on one PC and moved to WIN7 on the others. My wife's desktop had XP and she didn't won't to move to WIN 7 till it started acting up and she had to except a Laptop with Win 7. \

From all purposes, it seem that MS was playing games with us PC owners and coming out with a new OS just like in the older days when automobile manufacturers would come out with a new deign car. Still worked the same, just a new look to entice computers buyers to buy.

Reaction score
The one that changed everything was Window NT. When the kernel used the native word size of the processor at 32 bits. Every MS OS since has been a development of the NT kernel. Windows 2000 was an absolutely rock solid OS as was Windows 7. XP's problems I think were the home user stuff added ontop of Windows 2000 and Vista even more so. I suspect part of XPs problems also were that the 32 bit to 64 bit transition was not finished and that the marketing folks at MS insisted that some 16 bit code should still be able to run.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you seen the latest report that the Anni edition crashes if the primary partition is an SSD and the user data is on a spinning disk?

Anyone come across this? I've got 3 systems like that and I'd rather not try it first. Possibly a driver conflict?

Alan

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you seen the latest report that the Anni edition crashes if the primary partition is an SSD and the user data is on a spinning disk?
I read about the issue causing freezing, not necessarily crashes.
“Microsoft has received a small number of reports of Windows 10 freezing after installing the Anniversary Update on systems with the operating system stored on a solid-state drive (SSD) and apps and data stored on a separate drive,” a Microsoft support statementnotes. “This issue does not occur when starting Windows 10 in Safe Mode.”
SOURCE: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...t-offers-workarounds-windows-10-freeze-issues
Definitely not good. Especially the so called "workarounds" which seems to be ...... go back to previous build.

Reaction score
Yep!, the age old MS problem(s) has rose it's ugly head again with the "freezing problems" on WIN 10. I think mine started long ago when I moved to WIN 10 Home from WIN 7 on this computer. My other PC with WIN 10 Pro doesn't do any freezing that I can remember. I just hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and sign out and back in to remedy the annoying problem. I would go back to Build 1511, however, I'm past the 10 days grace period.

Reaction score
When I check for upgrades I get "Your device is up to date. Last checked: ‎30/‎03/‎2016, ‏‎19:26" Then, when I try to upgrade I get "We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn’t work, make sure that you’re connected to the Internet."
What do I need to do to get this "anniversary" upgrade?
DGB

Reaction score
What do I need to do to get this "anniversary" upgrade?
DGB

Wait and see if you are informed its ready for your machine.
I wouldn't bother trying any other method.
{ Personally i wouldn't bother if your happy with your pc as it is and its running o/k leave well alone.} ;)

Reaction score
I owe you all an apology. Before I got your advice I followed a link which installed the "Ann UG". Seems OK..........
Fools rush in.......
DGB

Reaction score
I owe you all an apology. Before I got your advice I followed a link which installed the "Ann UG". Seems OK..........
Fools rush in.......
DGB
O.K if all's well you are one of the chosen few.
Although there is nothing in that upgrade that i want need so i won't be installing
You have 10 days to go back to previous build if there are problems after that time M S will kindly delete your files.;)

Reaction score
If you make/made an Image backup you should have no problem going back to TH2, with or without the MS files deleted. Its the way I went back the first time I tried the upgrade and it didn't turn out well. I ended up using the latest Media Creation Tool the 2nd time and let it update the PC instead of making the USB installer and it turned out OK. Did the same on the old desktop, which btw was running Vista (had a retail key for 8 pro that still worked up to the 29th)

I kept my old TH2 image though just in case :), so far all is running normal though.

Reaction score
I am starting to see some strange activity on my system.

I am getting Event 10016 errors regarding permission to grant local activation for COM server applications.
--- ShellServiceHost
--- CDP Activity Store
--- Edge

I am unable to log into the Microsoft forums without a message that I wasn't able to log in..

Edge, which I don't use that much seems to not be able to keep settings changes.

I am wondering, since I run as a local account, if any of this is related to no being logged on with a Microsoft account.

I will watch the system for a while and if it continues, sign in with my Microsoft account. Because they changed the way the system activation is tied to your Microsoft account, perhaps this is effecting other areas. If anyone has some insight, let me know please.

Ask a Question