Fall Creators Update

Reaction score
Prevent Automatic Downloading of Updates on a Specific Connection
Not on a metered connection. But I probably should be given the title, since our ISP is so slow.

Stop Windows Update From Automatically Rebooting Your Computer
Active hours change. No one should have to monitor their machine to match their active hours.

Prevent Windows Update From Installing Specific Updates and Drivers
Not needed. I have one update that never installs, but I've ignored it for 2+ years.

Use Group Policy to Disable Automatic Updates (Professional Editions Only)
Editor’s Note: This option, while it still exists, seems to no longer work in the Anniversary Update for Windows 10, but we’ve left it here in case anyone wants to try it. Proceed at your own risk.

Use the Registry to Disable Automatic Updates (Professional Editions Only)
Editor’s Note: This option, while it still exists, seems to no longer work in the Anniversary Update for Windows 10, but we’ve left it here in case anyone wants to try it. Proceed at your own risk.

None of those options are acceptable solutions. I've used Windows 10 to spite my dislike for some of the features. And for the most part I have grown used to everything except Automatic Updating. This is now my only true complaint about Windows 10. I can live with all else, as long as Classic Shell continues to function.

Reaction score
I mentioned this before. Have a look, in the first instance, at Defender's post #71. There you can defer updates for quite a bit. Or pause them if they are interfering with your work.
This is only the thin end. Not well advertised, but MS have extended the options considerably.
On the page mentioned previously, you can scroll down further and find an item "Delivery optimisation"
This has little new to offer, but, once again, click "Advanced options"
This offers some useful choices, which can control, to a large extent, how your downloads are going to affect you computer usage.
With a little thought on the options now available, changing active hours, restart options etc, you can arrive at a situation where the updates will scarcely be noticed.
There is always the catch, of course, that they go wrong. Hasn't happened to me , but it is obvious from posts that there are sufferers!

Reaction score
I was updating my second PC last night (behind on cumulative updates) to keep it current. When I was in the Update & Security settings I noticed a message " Some settings are managed by your organization" I did originally delay updates for 30 days. Checked in gpedit.msc and the option to delay updates has been removed. Seems strange that I still have the settings page still depicting the 30 day delay.

Reaction score
I was updating my second PC last night (behind on cumulative updates) to keep it current. When I was in the Update & Security settings I noticed a message " Some settings are managed by your organization" I did originally delay updates for 30 days. Checked in gpedit.msc and the option to delay updates has been removed. Seems strange that I still have the settings page still depicting the 30 day delay.
I still get that message in red on my 2 Insider Preview computers but not on my RTM machines. It doesn't seem to be a problem, yet.

Reaction score
Finally sorted.
Installed the 1709 feature update so now at 16299.125
Downloaded ShellExView from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Started disabling the non Microsoft programs that were running and then restarting.
I then attempted to access the start menu items via Win Key +X that I previously could not access.
Soon found the offending program which I then uninstalled using Ccleaner.
Program causing the issue was "ExpressZip" by NCH Software.
No doubt some kind of conflict but can now move forward again.
Many thanks for comments and help received.

Ask a Question