Fall Creators Update

Reaction score
Changes I found immediately after the painful time consuming update.

System Restore Turned OFF?
No Update Restore point created.
New search feature in settings.
Update History blank, no reference to 1709 Update.
New Manage my history stored in cloud in Settings
Pin Contacts to Task Bar.

I'm sure there's more.
It was, of course, an (almost) reinstall process. I don't use restore points, so cannot comment on that.
The history would, axiomatically, be empty, as this is the start of a new edition.
I don't use cloud. So, again, no comment.
Two, though, I would like to examine?
Where is the new search feature in the settings?, and
Pin contacts....etc? What is that? From Edge or..? I cannot be certain, as I have never had a need, but, I think I have always been able to do that??

Later. OK, not always, but I see it was a facility first available in April.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave You would think that the 1709 would have been in the download history.
I uninstalled cloud again, don't use or trust it with personal data.
The search feature can be found in Settings. big magnifying glass
Contacts was pinned to the System tray bottom right, it allows you to pin contacts you talk to to the task bar. I exited that too.
Overall I'm pleased with the update so far, everything seems to be working so far.
I lost my screen background pic and haven't been able to recreate it yet, It doesn't wnt to browse to my pics, just the MS Store apps? I'll try later.

Reaction score
You got me! Which part of settings - I'm intrigued.

The pinning of contacts. If you open "People" and right click a contact, you are given the option to pin it to the taskbar. But, maybe we are on different tracks here?
Regarding the favourites in Edge.

Edge, as you know, does not have a menu bar as in IE. The only one available, is what they call the favourites bar. You might find it necessary to open the favourites (The star with three lines) and manually pull them over to the bar, which should be on the same window. You do have the full favourites list in IE?

Reaction score
Updating my laptop right now, will se what happens to that!. :D
Not sure how it affects individuals, but have a look at Trouble's (and my follow up), regarding this particular update. You may find there are two coming - following each other.

Bif

Reaction score
Windstorm (110 kph) and quite possibly power outages here, so I will not even boot for a day or two..as of last night at about 10pm CDT nothing yet down the pipe.

Reaction score
No sign of it here but then my main PC is 2009 vintage...an old I7. I downloaded FCU with MCT and have a USB drive ready to go.

Reaction score
Tim you'll see it soon. I received it yesterday Pro version, Grandson too Home version.
GPU tracking is a new feature in Task Manager.

Bif

Reaction score
I'm living on the "Edge" and MCT-ing the Fall update on my $5 DELL, nothing to lose this way, and I can test drive it before it reaches my daily driver HP.
Might even run with scissors later, just to be extra audacious..

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm living on the "Edge" and MCT-ing the Fall update on my $5 DELL, nothing to lose this way, and I can test drive it before it reaches my daily driver HP.
Might even run with scissors later, just to be extra audacious..
Gee, your's was cheaper than mine, just got an HP Pavilion that came with Win7 but upgraded to Win10, cost me a new power supply. 2.70GHz CPU and 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Might even run with scissors later, just to be extra audacious
Just no ripping off of tags on pillows or mattresses.
A person has to draw the line somewhere.

Reaction score
I used the upgrade tool instead of relying on the normal update process!, on my friends PC; he waited over 2 hours before I went over and installed the tool.

Now the tool is no longer available it would seem, the link I have in the guide I created currently only directs to downloading an ISO?.

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ws-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/#post-73822 :(:(:(

you mean this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ?

they have changed the download link for the MCT to the newest one 16299.15 . It is not the 15063.0 anymore

Reaction score
The 16299.19 hasn't been added to the Learn More [or Windows Update Catalog] feature yet. I did 2 yesterday and the updates to .19 are quite small. The 32-bit/x86 is about 100MB and the 64-bit/x64 about 250MB.

Ask a Question