Windows 10 Anniversary Update released today (2nd August 2016)

Reaction score
My reference was not to insider builds. This is the standard MS ISO

Reaction score
So its 16:26 (east coast time) just ran the windows update, came back saying I'm up to date???

I ran wiver the OS Version says 1511 OS build 10586.494

Is this the update?

Reaction score
Nowt here i have the same.
upload_2016-8-2_21-34-16.png

Reaction score
well this is weird, its almost 7PM and still nothing is showing up in windows update, on my laptop or my desktop. It can't be taking this long to filter out. At least it should say something that updates are available by now.

Is this just some east coast thing?

Reaction score
They are rolling to 'new' machines first. My wife got the update at 2pm I downloaded the thing from MS and installed it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just checked my wife's computer upstairs and same thing. No sign of the update or any indication that it might be attempting to download it in the background. 6:00 P.M. here in Chicagoland.
I'm not sure what constitutes a "new machine" perhaps those that came pre-installed with Windows 10?? IDK.
Personally I got tired of waiting, I had already created the 1607 version (build 14393) ISO from the install.esd file on my insider machine.
So I now have one upgrade and one clean install of the Anniversary Edition. The upgrade will be a clean install shortly, just wanted to see how it performed.... seems fine.
I'll leave the wife's machine like it is to see how long it actually takes for her turn to come around.
She doesn't really care or even particularly understand what the upgrade is or what the big deal is, surrounding it.

Reaction score
FWIW my wife's machine was new in June...my machine was new in 2009. I downloaded the update as per the instructions onto my machine and it works fine apart from an anomaly with the games from winaero.

I REALLY don't want to do a full scale clean install on my machine...too much stuff on it. But I may clean load the Insider laptop with the production code.

OOPs I just noticed another thing. I have had caps lock key disabled on my PC since W7 all the way through W10 and its assorted updates and now it has come back...I'll have to look up how to get rid of it again.

Reaction score
If you want to get the Anniversary Update, try this. Settings\Update & Security\Windows Update and click “Learn More.” This should take you to a web page that about 1/3rd the way down the page you will see “Get Anniversary Update Now.” Worked for me.

Reaction score
7:00 PM Ontario time nothing yet for Win 10 Pro, 45 MS Office 2010 updates. :rolleyes:
I'm a tad sick of waiting for the Pro update on my main desktop PC. I haven't used it all day as I gave the antivirus programs uninstalled in anticipation for the anniversary update. 8:08 still nothing. Do we have to take tickets and wait in que?

Reaction score
If you want to get the Anniversary Update, try this. Settings\Update & Security\Windows Update and click “Learn More.” This should take you to a web page that about 1/3rd the way down the page you will see “Get Anniversary Update Now.” Worked for me.
I get 0x80070057 error when I try that method.

Reaction score
Worked for me.
That's a fairly large file, over 5 GBs. Possible a Multi-language or some such thing. Or maybe 32 and 64 bit?

I just tried the Media Creator and it still got me 10586. I did not try re-downloading the creator tool, just ran the one I got yesterday.

I do have the install.esd set aside if I decide to use that. Of course, I don't need it to install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I get 0x80070057 error when I try that method.

I got to the page, clicked on the big blue tab and it D/L some exe named Windows10upgrade28084.exe that's only 5.52mg

clicking that file brings up the Windows Box. Now I don't know if this would interfear with the normal windows update service thingy or just what it would install. I don't want it to clean install, I want to choose how it installs. So I'm not quite sure what this installer is. Does it create a ISO image?

What did you find using it Cajun?

Image1.jpg

Reaction score
Your right it was around 5GB, mostly Outlook, Word, XL, Visio, OneNote, Power Point... I wouldn't care but I only use Word and XL now I'm retired. I'm disappointed that MS removed the user option to deselect unwanted updates

Reaction score
I got to the page, clicked on the big blue tab and it D/L some exe named Windows10upgrade28084.exe that's only 5.52mg

clicking that file brings up the Windows Box. Now I don't know if this would interfear with the normal windows update service thingy or just what it would install. I don't want it to clean install, I want to choose how it installs. So I'm not quite sure what this installer is. Does it create a ISO image?

What did you find using it Cajun?

View attachment 3557
No, it doesn't create an iso. It downloads the esd file to c:/. Clicking next performs a standalone update (or in my case attempts to). For me it gets to 2% then I get the 0x80070057 error. Others are having the same problem with the standalone update. I'll wait, I guess, for it to show up in windows update.

Reaction score
No, it doesn't create an iso. It downloads the esd file to c:/. Clicking next performs a standalone update (or in my case attempts to). For me it gets to 2% then I get the 0x80070057 error. Others are having the same problem with the standalone update. I'll wait, I guess, for it to show up in windows update.

yeah me 2, I can wait a bit to see what the deal is. I did make a full image the other day to get ready for this thing, so if I hose it up I can always recover. I didn't try to use the update, I just closed it, and had a time re booting, it didn't want to restart at all, just hung on the boot screen, so did a full cold shut down, that got me back up.

tried running WUD again its after 10PM now, and still says I'm up2date, lol, oh well there's always tomorrow :)....

Reaction score
yeah me 2, I can wait a bit to see what the deal is. I did make a full image the other day to get ready for this thing, so if I hose it up I can always recover. I didn't try to use the update, I just closed it, and had a time re booting, it didn't want to restart at all, just hung on the boot screen, so did a full cold shut down, that got me back up.

tried running WUD again its after 10PM now, and still says I'm up2date, lol, oh well there's always tomorrow :)....
Honestly, there's nothing special in the update. I've been running it on my other PC (insider build). It just resets a bunch of privacy settings that I had changed. It also forces cortana (which stinks imo). I know some have had issues gaming after the update. That's the only reason I'm a bit impatient. I see days of troubleshooting in my future.:(

Ask a Question