Windows 10 Anniversary Update released today (2nd August 2016)

Reaction score
Yes we did needed the update. Microsoft created a Tyrannosaurus (T. rex) OS and they've been using a Fly Swatter to knock down and control it.
If M S keep messing PCs up in this way they will be turning people away from W 10.
I have better things to do than loosing a morning fixing a problem they created.

Reminds me of the time when i had an i phone and one of their updates burnt the wi fi chip out many thousands were affected but they wouldn't admit it was the update that caused the problem.

I have never had an i phone since. ;)

Bif

Reaction score
I found it interesting that all of the updates prior to the upgrade are all gone under Update History...perhaps it's just because this is a completely new build with everything already included under the hood. In any event I was a little surprised, all seems to be operating as smoothly as a Windows systems does...the first boot this morning did take a little longer than normal but I'm only assuming this will improve as it has with other build upgrades.

Reaction score
My 4 PCs have all worked well with no problems with 393.10. Including one clean reload and one 2009 vintage that has been through years of W7 and a year of the original W10 and has never had a clean reload. A 2008 vintage ex-Vista machine with an AMD cpu has survives through Vista W7 and now W10.

However....the clean reload machine performance definitely has me thinking of a reload of the main 2009 one.

Reaction score
Okyy got the damned thing installed and running on the lappy :) man it took a while too. But not with the WUD , guess I'll have to use the MS access tool on the desktop too.

so far everything is in place programs wise, I had to re post some icons in the start menu for programs I have in my user folder, they are not installed per say. the start menu is a bit weird now, seems the apps that you could click to open are now opened until you click the top left icon bars to show the usual start. I don't much care for the open app folders, its why I use the start menu and set my own icons, and since W10 have no more need for a 3rd party start menu.

one more thing I need to see what the deal is, is my task bar clock program is shoved way over to the right, I need to find how to move it back over to the left so I can see the full clock. Other than that it seems stable.

At least the thing is done on on one lol. so now I know what's in store for the desktop :)

Reaction score
You know I may just restore my image of TH2,, my atomic clock won't display right in the taskbar, my intel pro wifi icon disappeared, the windows games had to be reinstalled, and they still won't work on this build, probably need to find an updated installer. I don't much care for the way they changed the start menu either. Bootup is really slow to get to the final stage too.

sooo I dono, I guess it works, but some things just bug the hell outa ya. we'll see, at least I haven't bothered with the desktop.

one edit,

I now have the updated installer for the W7 games that does work with this redstone build, I installed it and tested it. Anybody that has a way to upload it let me know so others can get it. The site I get it from requires sign in to D/L it. The old installer installs the games package, but doesn't play the games.

still can't get my pro set icon back, or the tray clock replacement.

Last edited:
Reaction score
lol, well my friends, I ended up having to restore my last image back to TH2 I made just before I started this mess. After trying to get my Intel ProSet icon back, which I did manage to do, I also hosed up my WiFI, couldn't get it to re connect at all, tried the usual stuff, turn off and on modem, reboot, check settings ect ect, the thing just wouldn't re connect, not good, so besides other points, I decided to just start over. At least now I know what to expect, and I have the new games installer ready :)

Boy this stuff is fun :)

Reaction score
lol, well my friends, I ended up having to restore my last image back to TH2 I made just before I started this mess. After trying to get my Intel ProSet icon back, which I did manage to do, I also hosed up my WiFI, couldn't get it to re connect at all, tried the usual stuff, turn off and on modem, reboot, check settings ect ect, the thing just wouldn't re connect, not good, so besides other points, I decided to just start over. At least now I know what to expect, and I have the new games installer ready :)

L O L this upgrade has broken more PCs than the switch from W 7 / W 8 :(

Reaction score

Well it saves you from having to wander the streets looking for a bar with a sympathetic bartender no?

Reaction score
yup, smirk, no bar hopping.....

so after doing some normal updates of my AV and stuff I checked yet again the windows update, and nope, it still comes back as "up2date" lol its now 3 days after the fact.

I do now have the USB installer handy, so once I feel like messing with it again and have made some new image backups, I'll go that route.

just wonder how many others are still showing the same "up2date" as of today when checking?

And still nothing about this from MS as to why or the possible cause............

Bif

Reaction score
First minor glitch was noticed this morning when my SD card reader failed to work, the obligatory yellow yield symbol in Device Manager pointed to the driver not being compatible with the new build. Luckily an updated driver was available and Bobs yet uncle.Counting myself lucky if that's the only issue I come across.

Reaction score
Hoody, MS did say they were 'rolling it out' 'new machines first'

?? "rolling it out" smirk, than I guess they forgot to check the tires on that cart.

Everybody with an "up gradable" machine should have gotten some sort of direct message from MS as to when this roll out would actually kick in on their machine. If for example when doing the update check it would pop up something like "we know you qualify for the upgrade, but it will take several days before you will receive it for D/L", ok, than people wouldn't care and at least they would know its not their machines and end up hosing their systems doing all kinds of "technical" stuff they have no idea what for.

Anyway its all fun as long as you know how to recover if needed :)

Bif

Reaction score
?? "rolling it out" smirk, than I guess they forgot to check the tires on that cart.

Everybody with an "up gradable" machine should have gotten some sort of direct message from MS as to when this roll out would actually kick in on their machine. If for example when doing the update check it would pop up something like "we know you qualify for the upgrade, but it will take several days before you will receive it for D/L", ok, than people wouldn't care and at least they would know its not their machines and end up hosing their systems doing all kinds of "technical" stuff they have no idea what for.

Anyway its all fun as long as you know how to recover if needed :)
I look at it as it's made me a better techie by forcing me to figure out how to undo Microsofts blunders, not such a bad thing I guess. Everything is undoable with proper backups..we are all guinea pigs in this and I'm OK with that..it ain't gonna change.

Reaction score
I am being advised that because of my small SSD with little free storage a fresh re-install will be necessary removing all my apps from C but leaving files (there arent many, they are on external Flash and SD)--- and a disc image ISO would need to be downloaded. I already have the 1607 Image File, is this not the same thing? Anyway, I wanted to ask if it would be helpful to get a small USB external DiskDrive, 100 GB plus? Could this be used instead of or in addition to the C drive, which after Anniversary update downloads now only has about 4 GB. Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

The drives I have been looking at (Bipra) say select either NFTS or FAT32. Which would be best for an external drive intended to be mainly used as an extension of C, which is of course NFTS?

Reaction score
L O L this upgrade has broken more PCs than the switch from W 7 / W 8 :(
I believe that the principal reason for many of the failures is due to users, in desperation, using the various published hacks to stop regular updates.
My hobby is helping the older folk, who are still OK with using computers, to manage software installation; updates: upgrades etc. I only work within my own town radius, but, to date, have fixed up or supervised about ten upgrades to the Anniversary and five fresh installs. This was on an assortment of machines. So far I have had no problems (But I wait for the other shoe to drop)

Reaction score
I tried mine yesterday twice. Both times (initiated from the "check updates") appeared to work well, rebooted twice and then went back to my older WIndows 10 version (494).

Today, I tried again and it told me there were no updates. So, have MS pulled the update for now to fix bugs?

Alan

Reaction score
I tried mine yesterday twice. Both times (initiated from the "check updates") appeared to work well, rebooted twice and then went back to my older WIndows 10 version (494).

Today, I tried again and it told me there were no updates. So, have MS pulled the update for now to fix bugs?

Alan
I have deferred upgrades now for 8 months so no good M S knocking on my door its firmly closed,;)

Reaction score
There is a guy who makes Youtube vids on W10 several times a day and is an Insider says that MS will shortly have a cumulative update for these Anniversary install problems. I guess they will slipstream it into the ISO as well. Try this one on Cortana.

Ask a Question